The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

This is the best I could come up with a 2-6-2 Prairie

post-28417-0-90284700-1497309106_thumb.jpg

Next how about a Pacific that's not LNER , should be easy & it opens it up to the world(Hint,hint)

John

Too slow

Edited by John ks

• RMweb Gold

Unidentified 56xx heading south out of Snow Hill in 1964

post-9767-0-94511600-1497309227_thumb.jpg

Next an easy one, any green loco with at least 12 wheels

Beaten to it

My next offering.

25994964974_f6b9b89a6a_z.jpgWaiting Departure at Boulogne Maritime by Charles Eric Steele, on Flickr

Upping the odds, let's have a green diesel with 16 wheels

Edited by TheSignalEngineer
  • Like 2

A Tri Bo electric at the Comeng factory in Brisbane

post-28417-0-78604400-1497309595_thumb.jpg

Next how about a Pacific that's not LNER , should be easy & it opens it up to the world(Hint,hint)

John

Edit Is there enough green on this loco to count as green?

If not then a green loco with at least 12 wheels, I'll let the next poster decide

Edited by John ks

Next This is happening to fast so maybe a wild card

I can't keep up here!

Here's a wild card.

On the edge of the world  -  Durango & Silverton  aka D&RGWRR.

post-11812-0-97430200-1497315599_thumb.jpg

Next  -  something from our antipodean colonial friends  .  .  . .

• Like 1

Pacific National EMD-powered unit 8182 waits for a short rake of hoppers to be loaded with grain at Cootamundra, New South Wales, on Tuesday 4 April 2017.

post-4406-0-17210700-1497321782_thumb.jpg

Next - A narrow gauge train (gauge less than 1 metre) in regular service (not preservation)

Edited by bingley hall
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Pacific National EMD-powered unit 8182 waits for a short rake of hoppers to be loaded with grain at Cootamundra, New South Wales, on Tuesday 4 April 2017.

attachicon.gifIMG_5393_1600.jpg

Next - A narrow gauge train (gauge less than 1 metre) in regular service (not preservation)

Zillertalbahn 1972 (760mm) when steam was the norm.

(sadly not in normal service these days)

post-6208-0-96153800-1497335696_thumb.jpg

Next: Broad gauge steam in regular service (e.g wider than standard gauge)

Keith

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

OK, what about a 2-4-0 (!!!) in steam as a stationary boiler quite some time after withdrawal.

Can't remember the exact details off hand but could look them out if anyone's interested.

attachicon.gifimg013 15 61943.jpg

Next -  what about a "proper" 2-4-0?

Wow! That, I think, must be quite a rare photo, only seen one published one taken from the front just showing the smokebox. It looks as though there's someone in the cab as well, a mate perhaps?

At Colwick, the K3 outlasted it's classmates by a couple of years until replaced by B1 61264 and we all know what happened to that one! A real shame the preservation world hadn't got going a little sooner.

On a personal level that loco may also have memories. When I was at junior school, I was 8 or 9 at the time would have been second year, our then teacher decided to hook us up with penfriends at a school in Pickering. I didn't take to the idea much, no interest in girls then but the teacher did organise a trip for us to visit the other school and meet our penfriends as well as a trip to Fountains Abbey.

The trip took the form of a special train from New Basford to York and bus onwards. Obvuiosly I was at the station early that morning and spotting well before the special arrived, I think my dad may have been with me before he went to work but as the station was only half a mile from home I often went there on my own anyway. In my notes which I still have somewhere I noted that loco and 61947 that morning so one of those was the train engine the others being freight locos. I barely remember the other parts of the trip but certainly remember elements of the train trip, one particularly vivid memory must have been in the Sheffield area of massive indusries with smoke and flames everywhere.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

BTW I'm still waiting to see the 16 wheel diesel!

I think that got lost in the post(s) so to speak :jester:

(3112 is a tri-Bo = 12 wheels)

You only needed a peak or 40 or Bullied loco.

Keith

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Premium

Here you go then - except it's an EE Type 4 ;)  Oh and it's virtually brand new

I remember the second batch as they appeared one by one on the WCML and they looked and sounded impressive roaring along the Trent Valley.

Only a bit later did it dawn that the steam locos were disappearing in proportion to the number of these new diesel locos appearing! :scratchhead:

Anyway I think we are still waiting for some steam on a broad gauge line - plenty of countries to choose from

Keith

Edited by melmerby

I think that got lost in the post(s) so to speak :jester:

(3112 is a tri-Bo = 12 wheels)

Keith

Opps  I am going have to go back to school & learn how to count & read :fool:

The only thing I got right was the colour although it is mostly white

At least we got to see some interesting pictures

John

Other sixteen wheeled diesels are available (e.g. 2-Do-2, Do-Do).

Next: Broad gauge steam in regular service (e.g wider than standard gauge)

Keith

Pushing the definition of "regular service" a bit here, as I don't have any examples of working pre-preservation steam haulage.  Here's a Russian gauge (1520mm) locomotive in steam, but only as a stationary boiler - a "regular" duty - but hardly what was intended!  (I had thought the loco might still have been capable of independent movement, but I see that the connecting rods are not connected).

L class 2-10-0 L-4198 at Jelgava, Latvia.

post-10122-0-73764100-1497385438_thumb.jpg

This was in August 1997, the first day of my first visit to any of the Baltic States.  Having helped myself to a solo walk around the "strategic reserve" at first light, it was time to chance a visit to the shed, fully expecting to be slung out politely asked to leave at any moment.  No problem, the shed master was more interested in whether this "rich Westerner" would be interested in buying one of his fully steamable L class locomotives!

If it is acceptable then the next photo will be a diesel or electric locomotive in British main line service that was later sold to a European railway.  Bonus points for any "before" and "after" shots.

• Like 1

Wow! That, I think, must be quite a rare photo, only seen one published one taken from the front just showing the smokebox. It looks as though there's someone in the cab as well, a mate perhaps?

Just done a quick check & it was 28th Feb 1965, a Sunday.

I remember it was an organised coach trip courtesy of the Lancaster Railway Circle (Society?).  After 50+ years I'm not completely sure of the precise name but there may be someone reading this who does, or perhaps even someone else who was on the trip.  Stranger things have happened.

I'm pretty sure I joined the coach in Preston - I was mid-teens & living in Blackpool back in those days.

First stop was Nottingham shed, followed by Colwick, Toton, Annesley & Langwith then back home.

At that time, Nottingham & Toton still had a bit of steam on shed although diesels were taking over rapidly.

To be honest, the day's mostly "clouded in the mists of time" although I do remember that all of the original Peaks, D1 - D10 inclusive, were on Toton, there was a Scot on Annesley and Langwith had one of those funny new-fangled Clayton centre-cab things in the yard.  Also saw quite a few ex-GCR 04 2-8-0s of various flavours.

According to my notebook from the trip, the Brush 4 behind the K3 was probably D1533.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A pic of EU06-01 at Poznan May 2002.  The 19(?) EU06's were built in England by EE, being the precursor to several hundred EU07's constructed under licence in Poland.

rev%20EU06-01%20Poznan%20b%20May2002_zps

Now an American electric loco please either inside or outside USA

Edited by Metr0Land
  • Like 2

In July 1981, classic former Pennsylvania Railroad GG1 electric no.4884 in service with the New Jersey Transit authority is seen at Newark, NJ with a westbound Amtrak service bound, if memory serves correctly, for Washington. The GG1 was covering for a failed Amtrak locomotive.

I was staying with friends in New York for a few days and made a brief afternoon excursion to Newark in the hope of seeing one of these, what were then, rare beasts and ended up with two, the headlight of the second can be seen illuminating the carriage sides.

post-4406-0-82492200-1497455746_thumb.jpg

A non standard gauge railway in Switzerland 
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

So here you are - narrow gauge steam in Switzerland hiding inside the since burnt down preservation society's shed at Interlaken West.  

post-6859-0-21230300-1497458138_thumb.jpg

Next - something which used to be a loco but isn't any more and has been converted for another use.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

SBB class De120 120 010-4 with a freight at Giswil on the metre gauge Brünig line, May 1998.  The standard gauge wagons are being conveyed on convertor wagons.

post-10122-0-21632300-1497458182_thumb.jpg

Next, a diesel or electric locomotive with an odd number of axles.

Beaten by Mike and a slow internet connection!

Edited by EddieB

Nil desperandum.  I was going to post an Italian former three-phase electric converted as a non-powered snowplough - but all my photos are on 120/220 film and I don't have a suitable scanner to hand.  So here's a former Hungarian electric (V42 516) converted to a static heating unit at Pécs, last August.

post-10122-0-37785000-1497459003_thumb.jpg

Next a diesel or electric with an odd number of axles.

Edited by EddieB
  • Like 1