The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

And the next photo will have...(real railway version)

NorthBrit

>  Somewhere with "market" in the name.

Clayton & North British products standing outside the still unfinished new Haymarket diesel depot in September 1965.

post-11812-0-26804100-1498648933_thumb.jpg

Keeping to the same theme, somewhere other than Haymarket that has "Hay" in its name.

edit:     sorry  -  for sake of accuracy, that should read September 1966, not 1965 (10th, to be precise)

Edited by devonseasider
  • Like 2

To satisfy some old requests as well as the present one - a diesel triple-headed industrial train in open country.

GP9 no. 203 of the Copper Basin Railway leads GP39 no. 401 and GP39-2 no. 502 on an ore train at Hayden Junction, Arizona.

post-10122-0-98340500-1498656466_thumb.jpg

Next, something to ponder and puzzle over - somewhere with a place name that references somewhere else (perhaps using the connective "by" as part of its name) or a name that incorporates a distance from somewhere more important.

• Like 2

Sorry Andy, actually I was hoping for something that referred to another place, rather than a geographic feature*.

Can we see what else comes along - if nothing does, you can have it.

*To give some pointers, there is "Mile End", which can be an LUL station (Central and District lines), a sand terminal between Stratford and Liverpool Street, or a depot and railway museum near Adelaide (South Australia).  There was Stoke-by-Clare in Suffolk (but I'm not sure if "By Clare" was ever part of the station name).  In Europe there's Ventimiglia ("twenty miles") - which I think is the distance from the Franco-Italian border and Hatvan ("sixty"), representing its distance in kilometres from Budapest.

Edited by EddieB

Sorry Andy, actually I was hoping for something that referred to another place, rather than a geographic feature*.

Can we see what else comes along - if nothing does, you can have it.

*To give some pointers, there is "Mile End", which can be an LUL station (Central and District lines), a sand terminal between Stratford and Liverpool Street, or a depot and railway museum near Adelaide (South Australia). There was Stoke-by-Clare in Suffolk (but I'm not sure if "By Clare" was ever part of the station name). In Europe there's Ventimiglia ("twenty miles") - which I think is the distance from the Franco-Italian border and Hatvan ("sixty"), representing its distance in kilometres from Budapest.

I was making the association between Burton and Trent, both railway stations in their own right, albeit Trent is now only a junction.

The (river) Trent connects them both.

Edited by leopardml2341

The  systemat Birmingham International to the Airport is the DCC Doppelmayr Cable Car Cable Liner Shuttle.  Announced in late 2000 and construction started in 2001. The Interchange was opened in March 2003. The system was originally known as SkyRail but in 2004 it was renamed AirRail Link.

Next,  (suggested by Eddie B) something to ponder and puzzle over - somewhere with a place name that references somewhere else (perhaps using the connective "by" as part of its name) or a name that incorporates a distance from somewhere more important.

I'm waiting adjudication on my posts #1278 & #1280

Personally, if I were adjudicating, and if we were playing by strict rules, I'd disqualify, as Burton on Trent is on the River Trent, and so it isn't really referencing somewhere else.

X for Y, or X Road, or X Parkway might be closer to the original intention I'd have thought.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

To satisfy some old requests as well as the present one - a diesel triple-headed industrial train in open country.

GP9 no. 203 of the Copper Basin Railway leads GP39 no. 401 and GP39-2 no. 502 on an ore train at Hayden Junction, Arizona.

attachicon.gifL96036a.jpg

Next, something to ponder and puzzle over - somewhere with a place name that references somewhere else (perhaps using the connective "by" as part of its name) or a name that incorporates a distance from somewhere more important.

I think what you really mean is something like this -

post-6859-0-73709500-1498728448.jpg

Which is actually here in NSW rather than on the Tyne

post-6859-0-57818600-1498728495_thumb.jpg

Or this which is in the New version of South Wales rather than the original

post-6859-0-52904400-1498728613_thumb.jpg

I think what you really mean is something like this -

attachicon.gif014_DS~1.jpg

Which is actually here in NSW rather than on the Tyne

attachicon.gif007_DS~1.jpg

Or this which is in the New version of South Wales rather than the original

attachicon.gif020_DS~1.jpg

That explains it much better; I'll take the 'hit' on BoT then :)

• RMweb Premium

Interestingly, there are only two current stations in the UK with under in: Ascott-Under-Wychwood and Ashton-Under-Lyne

I've not been to either, so... sorry.

What about sUNDERland?

Hat Coat etc.

Keith

• Like 2

Oh dear, I fear I truly set the cat among the pigeons - even after trying to help with dropping some suggestions.  Well, I'm going to give Andy a chance to get revenge on me, with this offering (and to prove I can sink below Keith's tongue-in-cheek suggestion).

Here's Norwegian 600mm gauge "BJØRKAASEN" (0-4-0T OK 1363/1904, ex-AS Bjørkaasen Gruver), in steam, but not working passenger carrying trains on the Lommedalsbanen at Gundershogget.  Not the easiest place of access, as the more direct route was via a private road that required a resident with a key to unlock - I managed to tail-gate someone going in, but ran into difficulties trying to get out!

post-10122-0-12058600-1498767206_thumb.jpg

If the German "unter" were allowable, I could find a couple of examples of that (but not as a linking word).

I won't even dare to set the next one...

• Like 2

Well, picking a photo completely at random from my gallery for a wildcard:

7779891128_0c523f5ce0_b.jpg

150141 sits in Bradford on an Ilkley departure by Timothy Young, on Flickr

Lets keep things simple for a bit, seem to have been some accidentally overly difficult requests lately that have slowed this thread right down.

How about a Suburban Electric Multiple Unit, anywhere in the world that you fancy.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I trust 2C2 is suburban enough!

post-14351-0-46452700-1498773832_thumb.jpg

OK beaten on the OLE 

but I have a few 313s but only one with a redundant pantograph

post-14351-0-01852600-1498774192_thumb.jpg

A regular service that runs way out of its own company's area - preferably now, but could be in the past.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1