Powered grampus wagon 041707

ColinK

• RMweb Premium

Grampus wagon DB988525 was converted sometime in the 1960s into a 'shunter' number 041707 used at Lowestoft. I've found a couple of photos, one in black & white and one in colour with the power unit removed. Both are taken from the power unit end. Does anyone know of any other pictures of this unusual wagon, especially taken from the 'cab' end?

The reason for my request is that I've been challenged to make a model of it in 7mm scale, even though I don't model in 0 gauge! This came about partly due to RMweb. A couple of years ago we had the 'build a loco challenge' which encouraged me to make a class 02 diesel shunter from a 0 gauge kit. As I had nothing for it to pull, I recently made a mineral wagon from a kit (actually built while sitting in a coach between trips). For a second wagon I decided to try a grampus wagon as suggested by some RMweb contributers. One of my friends picked up a grampus kit for me at an exhibition. When handing it to me, he produced a photo of the powered wagon and challenged me to build it - thanks Mark. Actually it is turning out to be a great way of developing my modelling skills.

Didn't this beastie turn up in the "Ugliest diesel shunter" thread a while ago? Whether the photo(s) in there are any different to the ones you have is another matter.

Edit: Yes, thought so. It's about 2/3 of the way down here.

Edited by PatB

Took a photo of an O Gauge model of it on John Emersons demonstration stand at last years Southwold show - unfortunaetly I didnt take a picture of the driving end, couldnt get an angle on it. The model looks unfinished as the engine box is in the wrong place and the "cab" is sat at a jaunty angle. I am also looking at making one of these for my p4 Lowestoft harbour scene. Any dimensional info would be brilliant.

post-8867-0-12769800-1490294376_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

The wagon apparently used parts from a viaduct inspection unit – the cab and power unit (a Ford six-cylinder petrol engine). Reports suggest the inspection unit had been scrapped in the mid 1960s and also that the donor was DR82001 (built on a former BR, LNER designed, Dolphin). But the peaked roof cab bears no resemblance to the one on DR82001, which was reported as scrapped in 1974 or 1976 (depends what you read!).

Other references mention a ballast cleaner (DR76003) which also ended its days at Lowestoft with the remains given IU number 041398 – the Grampus was 041399 (later renumbered as 041707 for some reason – anyone know why?). The cab from the ballast cleaner ended up as a grounded store at Lowestoft but the cab on the Grampus is clearly not from the old ballast cleaner.

So what inspection unit was this? It wasn’t DR82002 or DR82003, other early ones, but there was a 1950-built viaduct inspection unit numbered DS3188 (using a former SR 4RES EMU) that had gone before the introduction of CEPS numbering in 1974 – anybody know anything about that one? Or any others of these elusive machines?

A nice little mystery! Can anyone solve it?!

Hywel

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic, many thanks everyone. Delighted to learn that there is a photo of the cab end. As I'm not signed up to Flikr, is there a way for me to see it?

Tonight I'm away in the campervan. Just been building the gearbox to motorise it. I don't do mechanical things, so my mate Mark set me the challenge of making it move under its own power!

As I'm not signed up to Flikr, is there a way for me to see it?

Well, I got the same warning about adult content, but just clicked that I wanted to see it and the image appeared.  I didn't have to sign in and I don't have a Flickr account.

Well, I got the same warning about adult content, but just clicked that I wanted to see it and the image appeared.  I didn't have to sign in and I don't have a Flickr account.

I believe it means that the Flickr user may have some adult content in their collection, not necessarily every photo will be,

but site rules say in that case the user must class the whole collection as restricted so viewers do not find something they were not expecting!

cheers

• RMweb Premium

I've got the pictures now, many thanks.

Had a challenging day yesterday, had to drive down from Lancashire to Tamworth, despite the M6 being closed. While my van was serviced I walked 3 miles to Polesworth station for some train photography, but due to incidents north and south of the station very little was running.

It did end well as I managed to build the gearbox for the Grampus last night and it works, that's a major step forward in my skills. Full credit to High Level for a gearbox kit that is suprisingly easy to make. Now I've got pics of the cab end - thanks again - I hopefully can make a reasonable model.

• RMweb Premium

And here is the completed High Level Kits gearbox with O gauge wagon wheels and motor fitted.  While it may be an everyday task for many people, I've never had the skills to make things that actually work, so successfully building a gearbox feels like a major achievement for me. 

post-19248-0-85752100-1490549110.jpg

As to fitting it in the wagon, one of my friends at the model railway club helpfully suggested attaching the motor to some sort of plate which can then be screwed or bolted to the wagon floor.  That would enable it to be removed if need be. Perhaps I could fix the motor to the plate with epoxy or black tack?

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Must be strong stuff: Flickr tells me those are "Adult Content" and I have to log in to see them!

Looking at the page source, I found this: https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5081/5208905638_612cb6b355_b.jpg

and this: https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4107/5208304321_24c4b0fe4a_b.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A bit more progress. The 'power bogie' is fastened in place with nuts and bolts so it can be removed. Pick up is from all four wheels. I've left the motor wires a bit long for now in case I need to reverse them.  It may need some extra weight for traction, but I will wait until the bodywork is built.

post-19248-0-97510700-1491832663.jpg

post-19248-0-43549000-1491832672.jpg

I haven't got any O gauge track, but I've tested it with a 9v battery and it actually runs.

What I could do with now is a very small 2 pin plug and socket so I can unplug the wires from the pickups on the unpowered axle and then remove the 'power bogie' for maintenance.  Any suggestions on what would fit?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I ordered a Tamiya 2 pin plug and socket from Howes. I think its used for the batteries on radio controlled cars. It was far too big to go under the wagon. Need something much smaller.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

More progress.  The micro plug and socket arrived and has been fitted. That makes it possible to remove the 'power unit' without having to unsolder the pick ups from the non-driven axle.

post-19248-0-66766100-1493242849.jpg

post-19248-0-56386500-1493242860.jpg

While on Saturday my work was driving a group of Norwegians to Carlisle in one of our 35 seater coaches (manual gearbox so heavy work through Windermere and the Lake District).  That gave me 5 hours parked up close to the railway, but not many trains passing due to engineering work.  I walked to C&M Models and bought some square section plastistruct for the Grampus wagon (plus some other bits I needed too). Then spent a couple of hours drawing out the cab and motor unit onto plastic sheet ready for cutting out.

• Like 2