Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Maximum size for a micro layout

I understand that OO is 4mm/ft because once upon a time, someone said so and it stuck and after all this time, there's not a lot we can do about it. However, regarding micros, it's a completely different situation, surely? Does it have to be smaller than a certain size just because someone (that I've never heard of) said so? I have a small layout stored on end in a wardrobe. It doesn't fall within the 4 square feet category, but I certainly consider it a micro.

Edit: It occurs to me that a very narrow shelf layout 8 feet long by just 6 inches wide would "qualify" as a micro, but I wouldn't think of it as such because of the visual length.

Edited by Pete 75C

Hi Folks, It seems Micro Layout size will always be a much discussed issue, and fab that it is too!  For me, you kinda get a feel of what constitutes a Micro Layout though I've never been so adamant as to stick with an exact size.  Anywhere up to about 5' x 2' seems about right in OO, I like how it stops short of the 6' standard baseboard length.  Of course 5' x 2' is ten square feet, and nine square feet (1' more than the traditionally accepted 4' x 2') is more than adequate for a first radius circuit and a few sidings, see page 62/63 Micro Layouts.    Then there's the question, are  these sizes acceptable multiplied up for O at near on 10' x 4', or reduced to 2'-6" x 1' for N?  I'm pretty certain I go with the school of thought that it should be self-contained, considering that a 4' layout with a 4' fiddle yard is a bit of a cheat!ll   Whatever your view it's a great genre (hate that word) and I'm glad to see how it's gone from strength to strength over the past few years.  All the best Paul

• RMweb Premium

Bonsaibahnen.

Each one has to have a carefully manicured tree inside a circuit of track, but beyond that, there are no rules.

K

With that, though, you do have to carefully rake the ballast in a pattern, and arrange a big rock and a Little Rock (damn this American spell checker) in a precise relationship.

"carefully rake the ballast in a pattern"

Very possibly.

If you look at some Japanese microlayouts, the relationship with traditional garden forms, bonsai, netsuke etc is really clear.

Zen and the art of railway modelling. Or possibly Shinto ditto.

K

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A microlayout is one you can pick up and carry. Possibly with one hand. It goes easily in a small car, or on the train or bus. It's portability not absolute dimensions. St Juliot [s Gauge] was the inspiration for the portable layout bigger than you thought. Ingenuity, think outside the box!

Dava

I think having an agreed definition is useful, so we're consistent. If I'm planning a micro, I aim for no more than 4sq ft of scenic area, plus fiddle yard, which I'm sure was a definition on Carl's site at some time. If I go a fraction over that, I consider the plan a failure, which is part of the challenge. That's what I've done with the O-16.5 layout I'm currently planning.

I don't know what to call anything bigger though. Is it "Small", "Mini", or just a layout?

Fine to work within design constraints but most of the development of the concept took place in Japan and in France (mostly by members of GEMME through an annual competition) where the four square foot measurement would mean very little. I'm not sure that you'd really see a conventional terminus to fiddle yard layout (the original TT-3 Minories for example) as a microlayout just because it was within that size. Carl never did decide what constituted a microlayout and the more he thought about it the vaguer the definition became. It's probably just one of those things that's almost impossible to define but you know one when you see it. It's only when you're setting the rules for competitions (or for yourself) that absolute size become important.

Edited by Pacific231G

A micro layout is one that can fit a designated area defined by the domestic authorities* in a shared environment.

Rules:

- it shall not look untidy or pose a safety risk to visitors or small children.

- it shall be modular and disassembled at a moments notice.

- any relevant railway artefacts and photographs must compliment the current decor.

- feel free to add more.....

* refer to WSMBO or your current landlord/flat mates.

Regards Glenn.

A micro layout is one that can fit a designated area defined by the domestic authorities* in a shared environment.

Rules:

- it shall not look untidy or pose a safety risk to visitors or small children.

- it shall be modular and disassembled at a moments notice.

- any relevant railway artefacts and photographs must compliment the current decor.

- feel free to add more.....

* refer to WSMBO or your current landlord/flat mates.

Regards Glenn.

My domestic authority couldn't care less, as long as she gets her meals and exercise on time. Give her a Bonio and you can get away with anything you want :).

A microlayout is one you can pick up and carry. Possibly with one hand. It goes easily in a small car, or on the train or bus. It's portability not absolute dimensions. St Juliot [s Gauge] was the inspiration for the portable layout bigger than you thought. Ingenuity, think outside the box!

Dava

That's at least as much about construction techniques though. My layout is a heavy old thing, a wardrobe door and some 2x1 framing. It's about 4'6 x 1 (I measured it in metric, but that's close to it in feet), and I can move it on my own, but definitely not with just one hand.

• RMweb Premium

my mini in a APA box on its one  and I suspect only  two day exhibition I was cleared and on the road within 15 minutes of the doors shutting 

post-1480-0-69557900-1490733920_thumb.jpg

performed faultlessly all weekend just I think smaller than the exhibition manager realized

Nick

Edited by nick_bastable

Do have a 0-9 7mm NG layout which fits into an IKEA APA toy box I could have built it smaller if I ironically moved the gauge out to 14mm as the points are smaller. I did work out that in 0-14 NG I could build a 5-3-3 inglenook in about 14inchs by 4inches.

This is the 0-9 NG layout

Marc

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Unless someone has created a competition with specific rules there is no need to worry what size a micro layout must be. I'm not a fan of hanging tags on layouts other than roundy roundy or end to end. Maybe inglenook is also an acceptable description of layout type. If the term micro is used it normally means a small simple layout with very few points. There are however some very small layouts that are much more than this, especially in N, that would fall into micro layout size. The builder has the right to hang a tag (or not) on his or her layout according to how they see it.

• Like 1