RMweb

Silhouette Portrait for 00 Gauge Buildings

Hi all

I've been reading the silhouette cutter posts with interest and I must admit to being almost sold on one.  I'm curious to know whether anyone who has the portrait has encountered any issues with its cutting width being narrower than the cameo?  Particularly on things like scalescenes buildings (for example)?

I've searched various threads but couldn't find anything to say not to buy the portrait over the cameo (the price difference between the portrait and what appears to be the newer cameo 3 is quite significant for the sake of 4"!)

I'd be interested to know who has a portrait, and do they wish they'd gone for the bigger cameo?

But keep up the good work and topics... it has been really inspiring!

Many thanks

Jon

• RMweb Premium

I have a portrait, most of the detail cutting for this in 4mm building  was done on it .

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/2091/entry-18832-a-bit-of-a-scene/

It cuts far better than I can now do by hand, and I would repeat my thanks to all the folk on the silhouette thread on here, their advice got me going very quickly. 

• RMweb Gold

I've had a Portrait for a few months so am still a faily new user, but for what it's worth:

One limitation I have encountered in terms of buildings so far is not the width, but the length of what I can cut. I'm building a fairly large GWR stable block which in 4mm scale is 14.3" long (36.3 cm). The cutting mat length for the Portrait is 12", so instead of cutting the brick sheet in one long section I had to do it in at least two sections. This gives issues when lining up the mortar courses. I was lucky that the prototype had strategically well placed downpipes for concealing this, but that is of course not always the case.

For the Cameo I believe you can get an extra large cutting mat which is 24" long, so that would have been preferable in this particular case.

As I said I'm still new to this, and there may be ways of working around this limitation on the Portrait (maybe cutting without the mat?), but if so others will no doubt point it out.

Silhouette page on sizes:

https://www.silhouetteamerica.com/printer-friendly/faq/silhouette-page-size-options

Interesting.  I wonder if the extra large 24" x 12" mat could be trimmed down to 24" x 8" so that it could be used with the portrait?  And then really long items could be rotated and cut that way instead?

I have a cameo, and have to say there have been several occasions I've been very thankful I purchased the larger machine. That said, for the majority of the tasks for which it is most useful, I don't think there's a whole lot in it.

To sum up, if you're working in 00 I suspect you'd find the portrait to be sufficient, though I'd advise you to purchase the larger machine if you have the cash...

Archived