The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

Well here it is then! ... 'tis a Roundhouse Jack. Please feel free to tell me what add ons its had, i know i'm going to change the leaf springs, cab steps and get some running boards on it! and i'll change all the horrible slotted screws for hex' head nuts & bolts, maybe alter the buffer beams a bit! Otherwise it can stay the same colour but with added filth, the name swung it as it was the name of a Border Collie we had to have put down a couple of years ago at quite a young age....so the name helped a lot to smooth things out with swmbo   :) I would love to know of its former keeper and history if anybody recognises it? I hope its not going to turn out to be a Dog! :D

post-31611-0-70000200-1493286855_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-72176300-1493286891_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-02275400-1493286925_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-59390200-1493286960_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-36171200-1493286996_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Gorgeous loco! and don't it look right at home on your line?! :good:

The only thing I'd suggest at an early opportunity would be to get the smokebox and chimney sprayed matte black (Hi Temp barbeque / wood burner paint) :sungum:

It's just the right size and type of loco' that suits my small line i hope, i'm not into big, clean pass' pulling locos' and i think by the time my usual over the top weathering has gone on NM the whole thing will look matt Black and you won't see the join :crazy: I'll get the paint asap...but i'm stuck in all day again, no car and swmbo is out, so its an ideal time to spray the bridge up :sungum:  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Lovely loco there Pinzer. Fantastic! I hope it brings many happy years of steaming. She looks to be an older generation one, you can tell by the square valve chests on top of the cylinders. I think those older ones prefer ISO 460 steam oil, but I would give Roundhouse a phone call, they will be able to tell you. I like the idea of running boards - improve the look no end. Think locoworks maybe able to help. http://www.locoworks.co.uk/locoworks-detail/roundhouse/roundhouse-jack Any questions don't be afraid to ask, and I look forward to seeing it trundle round. 

Right, why is it not covered in sh*t already?  :sarcastichand: It would look even more at home then on the McMullen Coal Company line.

bob     That looks like a very well looked after example  . ITs pretty well standard from what I see  If on the makers plate it says 2009 then it is a special edition 1 of 100  last to be made .the earlier production run ended in 1998    phil

• Like 1

bob     That looks like a very well looked after example  . ITs pretty well standard from what I see  If on the makers plate it says 2009 then it is a special edition 1 of 100  last to be made .the earlier production run ended in 1998    phil

I can't see any date on the cab side plates Phil' unless i'm looking in the wrong place?  but i was told it's an early one and about 20 years old. Thanks for the oil info' Idris i'll check it out. Cheers.

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

To date it you'll have to read the works number on a frame stretcher, and ask Mrs Chris or Harri at Roundhouse nicely!

Funny you should mention sheds....I can't keep my Mrs out of mine!

post-10195-0-56298600-1493294507_thumb.jpg

This Jack was the very last one of the 'old' ones, before the re-run.  It was made as a favour.

post-10195-0-16720100-1493294577_thumb.jpg

I really should ask my mate Tom at Locoworks for some running boards too!  They do look good.

• Like 5

Many thanks Neil Wow! what a lovely shed and garden railway, no wonder your other half is always in it! Thanks for the info' i'll check it out later, i'm not really that bothered if its an early or limited one i just bought and like it for what it is but its interesting to know if it is, i'm still dodging the showers here trying to spray the bridge up..and now i've seen yours Neil i think i'll leave it in Grey primer  ;)

• RMweb Premium

Thanks.  The railway is simple, designed to drive locos on rather than scenic -gradients that mean you have to drive properly!

Your Jack is a fairly old one as it has the old-style cylinders.  Being Roundhouse it will still run like a Swiss watch, provided it has been oiled properly when used.

post-10195-0-11224300-1493309879_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Thanks lads i took the cab and tank off the loco' but i see no signs of a number yet! Just finished re-painting the bridge, i've still some weathering to do on it yet though, and a wash over with plenty of diluted pound shop matt Black should do the job.

post-31611-0-14693100-1493377630_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 4

Thanks lads i took the cab and tank off the loco' but i see no signs of a number yet! Just finished re-painting the bridge, i've still some weathering to do on it yet though, and a wash over with plenty of diluted pound shop matt Black should do the job.

attachicon.gif2010-01-30 15.17.41.jpg

hi bob bottom left corner   might be on a sticker

30584132395_ab35d9d2a9_k.jpgIMG_0821 by phil, on Flickr

Edited by 77philg
  • Like 1

Bridge all Blacked up now, painting up the rusty bolts and rivet heads are being saved for this evenings fettling session. Still no sign of a plate or a sticker ..or anything at all on this one Phil'

post-31611-0-76946200-1493383570_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-76072400-1493383688_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Bridge all Blacked up now, painting up the rusty bolts and rivet heads are being saved for this evenings fettling session. Still no sign of a plate or a sticker ..or anything at all on this one Phil'

attachicon.gif2010-01-30 18.24.46.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-01-30 18.21.35.jpg

Good stuff Pinzer.

It probably means that either there wasn't one or it has been removed. Never mind, it won't affect its running!  :wink_mini:

Mine is on one of the frame stretchers IIRC.  I can't check at the moment as I'm a bit crocked and can't walk.

Me to now Neil! i'm reaching for the Tramadol as i speak :jester: I'll look on the stretchers when i've stripped it all down a bit more, cos i'll only learn how they work and how they are put together if i have a mess about with the spanners. :crazy:

• Like 1

Me to now Neil! i'm reaching for the Tramadol as i speak :jester: I'll look on the stretchers when i've stripped it all down a bit more, cos i'll only learn how they work and how they are put together if i have a mess about with the spanners. :crazy:

bob   just be careful to not disturb the motion you could disturb the valve timing although not hard to re time can be a bit  of a chore sometimes

http://roundhouse-eng.com/pdf/wvg.pdf

this gives a description of the timing etc  leave the motion loose and sloppy it works better that way .  phil

Edited by 77philg

Ah yes, I am 'Tramadolmann' currently.....although I have cut right down now the pain from the surgery and metalwork is receding. 

Good luck with whatever you have done!

Ah! You're another rebuilt with Meccano bits Neil! :jester: I'm worth more in scrap! Good luck and i hope the pain do's recede Neil but watch out on the cold days! :O  :jester:  Thanks for the info' and warning on the timing i won't quite strip it down that far...........Yet! :no: Managed to spray the smoke box area with heat proof Barby paint and piant up the inside of the cab' last eve'

post-31611-0-18459700-1493457387_thumb.jpg

I really don't like the big hole in the cab' rear is it open for a reason? Do i need to keep it open for access when running? if not, then i'd like to plate it in a bit more and change the horrible lamp brackets.  :scratchhead:

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 1

Nice job so far O.B. - and as per usual you're off to a flying start! :O

The open cab back is really there to make manual operation that much easier (since this is a freelance loco), but of course, some narrow gauge loco's had similar arrangements anyway.

Nothing to stop you altering it in any way, but I reckon the simplest prototype  "disguise" is a rolled-up tarp' cover......

post-31575-0-95746400-1493461432.jpg

........ and I think you'll find that those "lamp brackets" are actually firing iron brackets

post-31575-0-60341900-1493461539.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks NM i would like the whole bottom half plating in, and the rolled up sheet looks brill', I'll sort those brackets out then and i'll put them back on in a better place. ;)

you could put a coal tender with the loco this would justify the open back . But the main reason is easy access to the gas jet for changing. If you plate over you could have to remove the body to gain access,.these gas jets seem to block up at the most inconvenient times I always carry a spare   phil

Thanks for the info' but i started on making a cab back last eve' :O  I think access to the gas jet is just as easy if you take the whole tank and body off which is all only held on with just one screw from what i have found Phil' I sprayed up in the cab area with more stove paint Black, my drivers have'nt got the time to stand around polishing brass up!   :haha:

post-31611-0-34854200-1493539592_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-27210100-1493539762_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-67874300-1493539829_thumb.jpg

• Like 5