The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

Limited to 3 - ha!  I thought two - there's 8 in there now.....no idea how that happened.

It will Neil! :jester:  the funds just won't be available in the near future i know that for certain, so that's my lot, but my last choice will be from a different manufacturer. :drag:

I got the home made running boards & the riveted, repainted and reshaped buffer beams fixed on last eve' The boards are fixed on using the same fixing holes & bolts that hold the leaf springs on.  All in they cost me about a tenner to make the pair and i've enough materials left over to make another set for my other loco' project, :)

post-31611-0-23168900-1494064713_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-21434400-1494064754_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-43544700-1494064799_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Its all back together and with the new cab back fitted, i'm just waiting for some more detailing parts to arrive in the post this week, hopefully i'll also have all the tools and materials i need to fire Her up this week. :maninlove:

post-31611-0-05186500-1494149982_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-07359400-1494150029_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Its surprising NM how just by painting out a few of the brass shiny bits how it makes a big difference to the looks, the leaf springs are quite detailed and are White metal castings but had a really thick layer of paint on them so the detailing was lost, so i stripped off the thick paint and cleaned up a bit of flash off them and they also look a lot better, with some subtle weatherin' yet to do and not my usual over the top filth, it should look just i want it to soon, :)   The Roundhouse builders plates fell off during the overhaul, only glued on with a small blob of super glue by the look of it, so they are put away safe, i'll need a nice new pair of builders plates making....but which firm would suit the body style and build type for this loco'??  any helpful ideas folks?  :O

Its surprising NM how just by painting out a few of the brass shiny bits how it makes a big difference to the looks, the leaf springs are quite detailed and are White metal castings but had a really thick layer of paint on them so the detailing was lost, so i stripped off the thick paint and cleaned up a bit of flash off them and they also look a lot better, with some subtle weatherin' yet to do and not my usual over the top filth, it should look just i want it to soon, :)   The Roundhouse builders plates fell off during the overhaul, only glued on with a small blob of super glue by the look of it, so they are put away safe, i'll need a nice new pair of builders plates making....but which firm would suit the body style and build type for this loco'??  any helpful ideas folks?  :O

I suggest you look at 0 gauge plates. There are plenty in the market that sell these. I find the 16mm options far too large for what would have been used in practice?

You certainly don't hang around Pinza. I look forward to seeing the steaming, and make sure you take some videos/pictures. 

To be honest i've done little this week railway wise Idris compared to my usual headless Chicken mode, i've been busy getting the garden ready for the new shed and i'm still repairing & replacing fence panels from the January storm. I did manage to cut in a set of points and lay six blocks for a future steam up area behind Houghton Chapel station. It finally rained hard enough yesterday and over night to collect my own steam up water....  pics' coming soon! :)

post-31611-0-09799600-1494660585_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-70414600-1494660632_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

did you move the shed OB

Yep! My mate turned up on Tues' Ossy and shifted it over for swmbo. So She is happily settled back into Her hut now :angel:​  whilst i have to wait another two weeks for mine to arrive! :fie: I've just laid the set of points to connect the circuit back up ready for my first trial steam runs tomorrow.

post-31611-0-84723300-1494674636_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 2

Hi Bob

If your tap water is the same as mine its soft enough to do no damage to your boilers. I normally take two bottles of it when i go on tour for toping up so i dont use the local water .When we lived in the midlands Burton on trent its hard water there Couldnt use that at all .Had to filter loads of rain water .Used to have 3  x 5 gallon containers full of it, seeing as I had only 1 loco at the time definitely overkill   phil

Hi Bob

If your tap water is the same as mine its soft enough to do no damage to your boilers. I normally take two bottles of it when i go on tour for toping up so i dont use the local water .When we lived in the midlands Burton on trent its hard water there Couldnt use that at all .Had to filter loads of rain water .Used to have 3  x 5 gallon containers full of it, seeing as I had only 1 loco at the time definitely overkill   phil

Its terrible water here Phil' so i'm taking no chances and using the free stuff which i'm filtering to death :jester: I have one 5.ltr container full now, it's a Black container and put into a dark cool corner out of the daylight, and i've a smaller 2ltr container i can easily carry about on the day so to speak. With an eventual total of three locos' would you think Phil' that it's best to get another Black container to fill and store away?   

Its terrible water here Phil' so i'm taking no chances and using the free stuff which i'm filtering to death :jester: I have one 5.ltr container full now, it's a Black container and put into a dark cool corner out of the daylight, and i've a smaller 2ltr container i can easily carry about on the day so to speak. With an eventual total of three locos' would you think Phil' that it's best to get another Black container to fill and store away?   

Hi bob  if its out of direct sunlight yes id go for a bit more. I don't monitor my water use now but I know that on a running session I consume a couple of litres easy .Coal fired engines are really thirsty. But if you know of a good soft water area fill up and store that too ,

Well i finally ran the first steamer of my own yesterday :yahoo: All went well, although i find the model aircraft style hand held controller a bit bulky and awkward to carry around, i'm hoping to change that prob' soon. At least the safety valve works fine. :jester:

post-31611-0-79425700-1494837182_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-04248000-1494837222_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-21580400-1494837265_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-54481700-1494837307_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Bob are you going to change the body on this loco? and is it 2.4 ghz radio? Did the safety valve have the roundhouse dome cover with it when you bought it? .with Katie ,alight load and running about 25psi steam,   I could get mine running {on flat track for about an hour]  phil

Edited by 77philg

Phil! it is 2.4 but i have a Timpdon hand held control unit so i'll change the receiver over for the Timpdons version, i have trouble with my right arm and hand so holding and controlling gets to be a prob' after a while. I took the dome off and used it for the 'Jack' bling up and makeover! :no: Yes! i'm using this as the bed of my own body styled loco' i already swapped the horrible rounded ended lolly-pop stick shaped buffer beams to my home made ones and the Katie is now in bits with all the body and smoke box removed, i noticed the chuff pipe was just shoved onto the two exhaust pipes and not soldered on ...should it have been? I might re-use the chuff pipe if i can fit it in the new body style with its lower chimney later! I had it running for 45 mins at a session phil but with more practice i might get a bit more time out of it. NM yes! i'm sure about the body swap but i might use the Katie shell on something else one day.

Edited by Owd Bob

Phil! it is 2.4 but i have a Timpdon hand held control unit so i'll change the receiver over for the Timpdons version, i have trouble with my right arm and hand so holding and controlling gets to be a prob' after a while. I took the dome off and used it for the 'Jack' bling up and makeover! :no: Yes! i'm using this as the bed of my own body styled loco' i already swapped the horrible rounded ended lolly-pop stick shaped buffer beams to my home made ones and the Katie is now in bits with all the body and smoke box removed, i noticed the chuff pipe was just shoved onto the two exhaust pipes and not soldered on ...should it have been? I might re-use the chuff pipe if i can fit it in the new body style with its lower chimney later! I had it running for 45 mins at a session phil but with more practice i might get a bit more time out of it. NM yes! i'm sure about the body swap but i might use the Katie shell on something else one day.

the chuff pipe is as already stated a push fit on ,leave this on anyway cause it does enhance the sound . but if you are having problems with this pm me and  bring it round well sort  it .phil

• RMweb Gold

WAHEY!     :yahoo:   :good:     :D  :D

Great photos Pinzer. Please tell me you got a video? Its amazing how the Katie (and Jack) really suit your line. I look forward to seeing the Peckett body on the Katie.