The McMullen Coal Company Light Railway

Owd Bob

Thanks Jon' it was a local e-bay find about four years ago and only cost £30 ....its only 6' x 4' so is quite small, and believe me the Green paint hides a lot of rot  :D but plans are a foot to take the whole front (window and door) off that shed and open it out into a shelter just like the one next to it, and i'm hoping to get another bigger 8 'x 6' shed to add on to the top end near the canal basin/pond feature....and then i'll have a whole long row of 'em separating me from swmbo 4/5ths of the back yard. :tomato: Then i think i may have to move my bed in and go live in it  :D

Edited by Owd Bob

Thanks Jon' it was a local e-bay find about four years ago and only cost £30 ....its only 6' x 4' so is quite small, and believe me the Green paint hides a lot of rot  :D but plans are a foot to take the whole front (window and door) off that shed and open it out into a shelter just like the one next to it, and i'm hoping to get another bigger 8 'x 6' shed to add on to the top end near the canal basin/pond feature....and then i'll have a whole long row of 'em separating me from swmbo 4/5ths of the back yard. :tomato: Then i think i may have to move my bed in and go live in it  :D

You make me feel very fortunate. The current Mrs S has allowed me full reign, as long as I provide a means to deliver a glass of her favourite tipple from one end of the garden to wheresoever she may be reclining. This has presented problems of topography, radii and wagon capacity. I believe I have now solved the last of these, having seen a wagon insert advertised by a supplier, but the first two remain a challenge. Nonetheless, Alec Guiness found a way in Burma, and so will I......

• Like 2

Bob wouldn't it be better to put a shed down the bottom of the garden and move swmbo into it :angel:

Oh! Phil' you are a brave man! :jester: It's more than my life's worth to say or think owt like that :O i'll just say one thing that will explain the problems i have with the other half!....she's from Yorkshire :tomato:  :mosking:

Edited by Owd Bob

Oh! Phil' you are a brave man! :jester: It's more than my life's worth to say or think owt like that :O i'll just say one thing that will explain the problems i have with the other half!....she's from Yorkshire :tomato:  :mosking:

Hi Bob 

Im from the midlands where they make the men :sungum:  I think you need to come on my training course ,all aprons burned or surgically removed, swmbos trained to make a cuppa on hearing the bell. :jester: post-3023-0-44168700-1492683256.jpg

Just to keep you all up to date with my recent doings. The plastic grass is now down and an extra stone step and some rocks were put in to aid my aging body to get up and over the line at its highest point. The extension to the top coal yard was tidied up by putting a few rocks in at the end. I bought some nice weather proof enamel ad' signs off E-bay, not too expensive i suppose at a fiver for six when you consider the finishing effect they provide. The weather forecast was watched last night so the snow plow is back out and ready for action just in case! :D  Three buttresses were mortared on to the viaduct sides.....still 7 more to make! I cleaned up and repainted the old coal shutes ready to be fitted to the canal basin sides, and i used car seam sealer to stick the plastic card metal effect plates down in the same canal side area. 

post-31611-0-97174100-1492884956_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-57582800-1492884991_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-98876500-1492885024_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-27437500-1492885073_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-07939300-1492885111_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-10436000-1492885150_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-06033500-1492885186_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-85445500-1492885231_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 6

Mornin' Phil' the grass is the cheaper stuff from B&M at £26 for a 1m.x 4m. roll, i wanted a better quality grass but with a few quotes of between £170-£190 for that small area i thought better of it, its not that it'll get much wear and tear here! Having first raked and brushed any loose stones off the area we then covered it all with six bags of course grit sand which was then well trampled down until it was solid and to a depth of around two inches, we then screed and tamped it off level with a piece of 3"x 2" wooden metre long off cut. The turf was rolled out and cut to size and shape, then we nailed it down with six inch galvenised nails!..i just happened to have an old mob bucket full of 'em! the sub-soil is solid so the nails went into a hard surface and even into some old blocks off my old line that are still buried under there! The workmans coach is scratch built from plastic card....the Dog is a good lad and only two years old so still a bit frisky, he gets in the way a bit and follows me everywhere, when he was young he used to chase and try bite the loco's, now he just loves to sit and watch them, he even sits up and watches any trains he see's on the telly now!...we have one other Border Collie which is the eldest and is 17 years old now, the other is a Welsh Border Collie and is also two years old and was a rescue Dog we saved from being used as Dog fighting bait in Scouseland!   :ireful:

Bob

don't know if you know of this site mainly geared for narrow guage .There would be a few that are not on here interested in your empire . Give it a look im on here too   http://ngrm-online.com/forums/  phil

i think one forum at a time is about my brains limit Phil' i'm no computer wizard! so posting here is enough for me. ;) I only managed one bucket full of a stiff concrete mix today, and put it down between the pond and a soiled up area, the soil was touching the waters edge and was soaking it up like a sponge so it was dug out until i found the pond liner, hopefully now this concrete barrier will stop it from slowly emptying the pond and can now be used for footings for a few future buildings or just as a stepping stone footpath to get me access into the corner a lot better.

post-31611-0-68170700-1492986776_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-14478300-1492986810_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-87705800-1492986844_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

You are more than welcome Idris! as is anybody who fancies a visit, and hopefully it won't be long now before i've got the major works finished, and i could well have my first steamer within a week or two :O  :imsohappy:

• Like 2

It looks a bit like an 08 shunter Phil'  but i'll let you off if you chuck some mud on it! :D  :jester: I bet its heavy? 

Hi bob yep its heavy its a  roundhouse Darjeeling ndm6 .Not run it yet set for 32mm gauge, too lazy to alter it  http://search.aol.co.uk/aol/image?q=darjeeling+ndm6&s_it=img-ans&imgId=B30C45ED3BB57F54D0D6937089932EFD16DB55BC&s_chn=hp&v_t=aoluk-homePage50.a      phil

• RMweb Gold

You are more than welcome Idris! as is anybody who fancies a visit, and hopefully it won't be long now before i've got the major works finished, and i could well have my first steamer within a week or two :O  :imsohappy:

You'll regret that when I move in! That shed of yours is big enough for me!  :sarcastichand:  I definitely need to come and visit, and I'll make sure I bring the biggest loco I can find! Only kidding!

Me please ,me please id like to visit pretty please !!!!!!!   phil

It sounds like there is going to be a queue of people visiting. Better train the dog to serve tea and coffee Pinzer!

No probs' Phil' ;) but don't bring a Garrett, it might get stuck or scratched on my tight curves :jester: I'll PM you this week  :mail:  

I would think it more likely that the Garrett would go round demolishing everything in its path!  :jester:

[attachment=836681:IMG_0847.JPG

Ill bring this rather than steam  for a change + ive got Katie and the countess in bits  service/repair phil

Nice engine there. Was a little tempted by it, but I'm not a super Darj fan. Oooh err misses! Naked Katie and Countess.  :angel:

Well i broke the news last night to swmbo that her little summer house is getting shifted elsewhere and i'm getting a bigger shed put in its place :butcher:  :boast: i could'nt tell what her reply was because of her thick Yorkshire accent...funny how she always regresses back into thick Yorkshire dialect when she's angry :laugh:  :crazy:

Well i broke the news last night to swmbo that her little summer house is getting shifted elsewhere and i'm getting a bigger shed put in its place :butcher:  :boast: i could'nt tell what her reply was because of her thick Yorkshire accent...funny how she always regresses back into thick Yorkshire dialect when she's angry :laugh:  :crazy:

:jester:    Its when the steam starts rising, with no off switch I worry swmbo might hurt herself

Well i took your advise Phil' and started putting mi foot down, i have'nt bought a bell yet! But they'll be some major upsets around here as my wheeler dealing came off successfully, and i'm now in a position to buy a new shed and the three live steamers that i've always had my heart set on, why three? because when i snuff it the Females around here can inherit one each...'cos that's all have to leave 'em now!  :laugh:

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Well i took your advise Phil' and started putting mi foot down, i have'nt bought a bell yet! But they'll be some major upsets around here as my wheeler dealing came off successfully, and i'm now in a position to buy a new shed and the three live steamers that i've always had my heart set on, why three? because when i snuff it the Females around here can inherit one each...'cos that's all have to leave 'em now!  :laugh:

Three females? You greedy Bu**er!