Various railcars and railmotors - resizing to O and G1, not forgetting Z!

Just done a new design, this time for an LNWR steam rail motor. As its LNWR, it has a clot of common measurements with Oerlikon units I did. As I have found before, drawings in books have to be checked carefully, as I have found that what should be 4mm/ft is a tiny bit less in fact. I now print out drawings to bigger scale, usually 1/43.5.Once they are then scaled back down in actual model, a lot of the small discepancies go away.

lnwr-steam-railmotor.jpg

This is actually an HO version, but intend to resize to 4mm/ft and N(both 1/148 and 1/152).

Again it is body only, but I might at some time do a chassis.

I have found that as I do more, I can do new designs quicker, which is lucky as I have a long list of mainly EMUs to design.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 7

thanks, I did find some photos online I think from such a build, and they did confirm some detail. I have the DJ book on LNWR coaches, and that has most of the info on   what I can include. I tend to only concentrate on the exterior detail, as there is not much room for interior detail in smaller scales.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

As I understand it, for once here is a railmotor prototype without vastly fiddly and complex valve gear. Just a simple 0-4-0 with a single con rod and no outside cylinder.

On that basis, count me in!

An excellent development, and I would certainly take one in 4mm.  I look forward to further news on this.

• 2 weeks later...

Got my first test print. A couple of things I have now fixed, but generally OK. I shall take some photos.

It arrived just in tme to take over to York. I gave it a quick coat of paint, as I think it looks better painted than in the original white, and many judge WSF based on what it looks like before painting.

I have stripped down a Dapol Pug loco. The wheels are slightly too small, and wheelbase slightly too short, but the nearest I will get for an HO scale model. For OO any of the Hornby 040 chassis would fit. The old Triang Nellie used to be popular for this.

One thing I don't plan to do is design a chassis for any of my models. Everyone has their own preferences, and I don't think 3D printing isthe best tool for the chassis. I might need to do a coach bogie design, but for OO there is probably something suitable.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

• 8 months later...

I am looking at O gauge versions for all models. Possibly Gauge One(1/32) as well. I might do them as a basic body, allowing modeller to add fittings, unless people are happy with solid buffers etc. Before anyone asks though, it is not possible(due to being too big) to offer in FUD.

Most of my models are now available in scales from N,TT3,HO and OO. N is being added at the moment. All new models will be done in scales from N up to G1assuming itis possible.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

One thing that is absolutely certain is that eveyone is different, and different people approach the hobby in different ways. The rise of the superdetailed r2r model has allowed many more to have superb models, at a price, and for OO, that old chestnut, the wrong gauge. There are still a lot of people capable and happy to either build a ki, modiy a kt or scatch build, but the gap between the and those who only want r2r is getting bigger. My philosophy is to provide something that nicely fits in the gap. It was not how I first thought, but one editor desribed 3D printing to me as an aid to scatchbuilding, and that is how I now feel about it. It is a compromise, details not always perfect, but hopefully it is good enough for most people, and they should be able to finish off he model to a reasonable standard.

I wasn't planning to resize models to O and G1, partly because I actually start the designs in O scale, and resizing down, helps to compensate for any slight miscalucations(even Swindon drawings have to taken with a pinch of salt!). Apart from some small models, it was a conversation at Manchester , asking if I could do one in O scale, that got me to consider it. I may have to do models in two versions , one complete like existing ones, and one even more basic(no buffers, no roof vents) as these can easily be sourced by the modeller. Thedifference in price beteen a completebasic model, and an even ore basic one is not much thouh, so I am erring on offering a more basic model, unless asked for one specifically. I have enough to maintain already. What has surprisd me, is that for coaches the extra cost fo O scale is not as much as I thought, as cost is based mainly o space used in machine, and the internal space is not wasted as it can be used for other items.

Thought I should start looking at the bigger scales properly. Actually not just a simple case of  resizing, as I have found that by reucing wall thickness to my preferred 1mm minimum, it actually reducedcost quite a bit. Starting with the NWR steam railmotors, as I had been working on mods for them recently, and an O scale body(no buffers etc as O scale modellers would expect something better) and price is only about £100, which ain't bad for O gauge. The Gauge One(1/32) is just a resized version of the o gauge one and that comes out at about £200. Again not bad . I would suspect most modelling in thes scales are happy to build their own chassis etc.

It will take time to work through my designs, intersperced with brand new ones.

O gauge and Gauge One version of LNWR railmotor design up and running

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

Just resized the LYR steam railmotor to O gauge and Gauge One(1/32). The loco and carriage have been done as separate items. The additional trailer coach has also be resized. All chassis , steps and buffers hae been removed, as many in O and G1 could build their own, and use more detailed parts , eg buffers and steps.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

I don't do many locos, but if requesed I can usually resize my designs . One such request came to resize down to Z scale. I won't say any more, as it is someone well known around these parts, and I am interested to see how it actually comes out.

As  was resizing that design, I thought I should look at others and noticed my Ford Dagenham loco was not in O or G1 yet. A simple job to resize, but I took the opportunity to improve a couple of details. Sometime tricky with preserved locos especially when there are modifications since original use.

Now I am not sure if I will resize many more down to Z. On my older designs it is easy as I designed theN scale versions for WSF, but newer ones in N are only for finer plastic, so I would have to do more work.

Edited by rue_d_etropal