Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

70A (Nine Elms)

Hi all, 

Whilst I have seen an attempt at building 70A, though with various scales, my friend an I are planning to build the whole MPD and SW mainlines at the back. The area will be mainly set around the transitional 1949/1950 mark. Any thoughts are appreciated. 

Josh 

• RMweb Gold

You don't mention scale, but even in 2mm this will require quite some space, and a square sort of space at that, which always makes modelling more difficult. But as a prototype it has a great deal to commend it if you have the space and skills - and potentially deep pockets, too, if you are to model the highly intensive services heading to and from Waterloo.

Thanks for the reply,

It'll be OO. I am to work from a 1951 OS map, tested against a current map for dimensional accuracy. The SW Mainline will be included as it fits within the 12ft space! The 16 roads of the 'Old' Shed occupy 3' so the total MPD width is less than 6'.  Now to get planning the rest.

Josh

Josh,

Sounds really interesting. It brought back many very interesting experiences from the days of steam.

Do you have any space to model (in low relief) the block of flats behind the turntable? Any thoughts on a sensible and practical way of including the coaling stage with "dipping" tracks.

Good luck with the project, I look forward to following your work.

Eddie

Any thoughts on a sensible and practical way of including the coaling stage with "dipping" tracks.

Ah yes, one of best places, a Bulleid pacific making it's way out of the 'hole' ( under the coaling tower) to the main line.

Pic shows, on the right, 34034 having come on shed and waiting to progress to the turntable round the back of the coal tower, and a MN making it's way out of the 'hole' to the main line.

post-7336-0-69376600-1491251557.jpg

But it will be interesting to see a model of the coal tower as this behind 73022.

post-7336-0-10987100-1491252077.jpg

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 2

Thanks chaps, especially for the photos! 

The turntable will form the front of the layout so I probably will not include them, though I might make them as a background for photos. I have found this perfect angle of the coaler: https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/5857145827. In order to create this I will probably a cut in the board, as it is raised, for the line to fit. 

Josh

• Like 1

Thanks for that link, some excellent pics, even including Queens Road, where I used to like to call in on occasions, and a few shots of the 'Kenny Belle'. :sungum:

edit. On your model are you planning to include the tunnel connection between the goods yard, and the shed ??

Edited by bike2steam

I've planned out the MPD, Stoneworks and Wadhurst Road. Plans are in place for designing the houses (with Kingsway kits) and the Water tower/goods shed is under construction. So the next main task is the coaling stage and main sheds. Does anyone have plans or a good photo for the metal work along the side of the main coaling stage? 

Josh

With Old & New shed laid out, the next task is the arrival & departure lines respectively. I've started building the embankment which slopes up onto the SW Mainlines. The next task is smoothing it out then coating with apt. materials, after which the trackbed will be fixed onto the top. The shed will be constructed from soldered brass. 

post-29144-0-41680600-1492540978_thumb.jpg

post-29144-0-13681200-1492540984_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

After a day of singed fingers the first roof support for 9E's Old Shed has emerged, still need the joins and metal work to be cleaned up. Only another 70 odd to go! I think I've made the vent too high though. Just needs a clean up.

post-29144-0-30811400-1493032695_thumb.jpg

Edited by JoshHamilton99

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

With my course in the final week, I've started ordering parts and planning sections for 9E. Plenty of brass has been ordered to complete the main roof of Old & New sheds. Track plans have been laid and the embankment has been cut. Just a matter of time now :D