Eliminating the 'bounce factor'....minimising the loss of small parts

Hi all....

Sorry for the vague title, but I just want to put up this little tip...

No doubt everyone has experienced the frustration of losing small parts when they are dropped into the undergrowth beneath the workbench/table.

Scrabbling around on all-fours looking for essential kitbits wastes far too much modelling time.

After several near misses this evening when de-flashing parts for my 7mm Westdale GUV and JLTRT CCT, I decided to minimise the risk of parts being gobbled up by the carpet monster by simply placing a large light coloured towel on the floor beneath my workbench.

The towel absorbs much of the kinetic energy from the initial impact, and the parts have been easy to retrieve as they stand out against the light background.

Of course, I will deny all knowledge when SWMBO asks where the towel has disappeared to....

regards

Randall

• RMweb Premium

Our dog can find these sort of things too.  Unfortunately she then eats them. I suppose I could search for them when they come out the other end.......

DT

• RMweb Gold

Years ago, I experimented with wearing a carpenter's apron with eyelets added to the the bottom corners which attached to cup-hooks screwed to the underside of the work table.

It actually worked beautifully until one day when the door bell rang and I went to answer it without thinking.............. 

Now you have brought it back to mind, I might try the idea again using Velcro. 

John

I work over a suitable box (or try to...) so the bits don't fall far and get stopped by the sides of the box*. The towel sounds like a good addition.

* That's the theory, but gremlins are very resourceful!

• RMweb Premium

Easiest solution in my book? Don't touch anything. When you buy a new model, don't remove from the box, don't even look at the model. No touch = no loss of parts.

(This post is in jest of course)

Archived