G.C.R. Model Event June 2017?

gr.king

My annual trip to the GCR. It looked a great exhibition but I am afraid the heat slaughtered it as an experience. I hope it was not too bad on the financials.

I like the splitting of Alsager's Hassal bridge into a colliery and a bridge. Otherwise some superb layouts.

Only complaint is the lack of cold alcoholic drink. My sympathy to the exhibitors and traders.

• RMweb Gold

I visited on Friday and would also like to thank all those who worked so hard to make this a great event. Fortunately, in the morning at least, the heat build-up was not a major issue. The only thing I would say is that having exhibits in the corridor between the two parts of the marquee at Quorn caused serious crowd congestion there. Overall though the combination of models and full-size preserved trains is wonderful and I will be back next year.

Pleased that you enjoyed the event but this comment I believe is misplaced.  In previous years I would have agreed but this year there were the cardboard and matchstick locomotive one side and us, the Friends of the Great Central, on the other.  The gap between the two was exactly the same as between the layouts on the north end and there was a great gap gong through to the south end.  The only conclusion I can draw from this comment is that both were centres of attraction, as I think the work on the bridge heralds a new dawn of opportunity and needs publicising.

Peter

Edit = spelling only

Edited by PeterBB

• RMweb Gold

The Fire Service asked for no vehicles to be left on the Quorn site.  This meant that at the end of the show exhibitors and traders had to fetch their vans etc. They were held in a queue until there was space in 'their area' to come on site.  Personally I thought the management of this sort of 'one in-one out' with specific information depending whether there was space or not and therefore 'hold' a van up until there was space meant that the system, while taking some a fair time to 'get on site', was excellent and avoided a potentially 'jamming' chaos situation developing.

Weather-wise, yes, it was extremely hot most of today and rail expansions did cause some problems so exhibitors did well to cope.

Peter

First time visit to the show, sterling work done by all in the heat.

The best place to be in the heat of the day was, however, the NAAFI under the road bridge arch at Quorn

Now, if only the cask ales had been in there.......

Only complaint is the lack of cold alcoholic drink. My sympathy to the exhibitors and traders.

The beer in the kegs inside the tin hut were nicely cold on Saturday.

Edited by andyram
  • Like 1

My only disappointment was that I didn't get to ride on the big railway having spent so much time in the exhibition marquees where I had the opportunity to have a play on Klinkerhofen on invitation by the very friendly husband and wife team.

You were very welcome. Glad you enjoyed driving a train on the layout and thanks for your comment.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We had fun on the Friends of GC  Main Line stand running the refurbished and updated Bridge to the Future model. Initially with perspex covers  on, but then it went topless with the heat - no tasteless  jokes please!

On the Sunday PeterBB brought some visiting locos to help out. An 08 passes the narrow boats by the canal bridge [one of many touches of added detail] 

post-14654-0-94265200-1497905146_thumb.jpg

Even more exciting was the pair of East Midlands Trains HST power cars passing over the Bridge with trains on the MML below. These remained static all weekend, 'owing to signalling problems at Leicester', familiar to local rail  travellers. One day the only place you might see an HST is the GCR!

post-14654-0-27449100-1497905353_thumb.jpg

Keen-eyed viewers may spot the layout mascot, a green Brontosaurus, popular with younger visitors, our excuse being 'One of our Dinosaurs is missing!'.

Apart from this, the display and new video entertained and informed quite a lot of people about the Bridge developments on the GCR.

Our next outing will be to 'Our friends in the North', at the GCRN Model event on 29-30 July, at which the prototype HST will be running on the Saturday. The weather will be beautiful, what more excuse could you need?

Dava

We had fun on the Friends of GC  Main Line stand running the refurbished and updated Bridge to the Future model. Initially with perspex covers  on, but then it went topless with the heat - no tasteless  jokes please!

On the Sunday PeterBB brought some visiting locos to help out. An 08 passes the narrow boats by the canal bridge [one of many touches of added detail] 

attachicon.gifCanal 08.jpg

Even more exciting was the pair of East Midlands Trains HST power cars passing over the Bridge with trains on the MML below. These remained static all weekend, 'owing to signalling problems at Leicester', familiar to local rail  travellers. One day the only place you might see an HST is the GCR!

attachicon.gif43s Bridge.jpg

Keen-eyed viewers may spot the layout mascot, a green Brontosaurus, popular with younger visitors, our excuse being 'One of our Dinosaurs is missing!'.

Apart from this, the display and new video entertained and informed quite a lot of people about the Bridge developments on the GCR.

Our next outing will be to 'Our friends in the North', at the GCRN Model event on 29-30 July, at which the prototype HST will be running on the Saturday. The weather will be beautiful, what more excuse could you need?

Dava

I will see you at Ruddington on the Sunday.

• Like 1

Am I the only layout co-ordinator who has not yet received their paperwork?

Les

Rise Park.

We are still awaiting for our paperwork to arrive and it is now three days since the show ended!

Colin

Stackton Tressell

My feelings following my first visit to this event are mainly positive but with some definite reservations. There was plenty of variety and the GCR was making a good job of welcoming its visitors. The un-predictable oppressive heat that affected the weekend is not the fault of the show organisers and they can't very well buy-in or hire-in expensive cooling arrangements just in case it happens again. The frequency of full size trains was good, the availability of food/refreshments was good, and the beer in the tin shed was especially welcome, all the more so for the fact that it was the real kind, straight from the cask, including a flavoursome dark mild - rather than just the pale fizzy citric mouthwash that is the only offer in far too many pubs and bars.
A number of the layouts were good, although I'm disappointed that not for the first time I found Leicester South with mainline somewhat quiet, nothing happening in the goods yard, and little stock on the scenic section looking as if it might be about to do something. In the heat and humidity it wasn't practical to hang around waiting for an improvement in activity nor could I find time and energy to return. Leicester South was however BUSY compared to one end to end layout we passed which was well set to instantly repel observers, thanks to a total lack of any rolling stock on its scenic section. Forgetting about ACTIVITY on the layouts, some were displaying very competently developed trackwork and scenery, but some others were visibly so poor "from a distance" as to deserve no closer inspection. I'm not sure how some of them get invited to shows...
The chance to have a thorough look around the loco shed at Loughborough was very pleasing, but what a shame and what an "own goal" for the GREAT CENTRAL to have the only GREAT CENTRAL loco on the whole railway so well tucked away and closely surrounded by others in the shed that it was hard work just to observe it with the naked eye, and virtually pointless to try to take any photos of it. I know that the O4 is out of action awaiting overhaul but as the only available "home railway" loco ought it not to at least to be properly visible for headline events such as this? The buildings on the preserved line, as they should, retain full GC character, but what about the TRAINS? Can I really imagine any of the major West of England preserved railways organising an event without a single GWR loco on show? Of course not! British Railways ownership and liveries did not feature as part of the GC until its last twenty years of existence, and the hostile London Midland Region only had control of the line for as long as it took to kill it off, so the preserved GC really should not be presented as just another "BR era preservation" clone.

• Like 1

I think the service trains were a means to an end to ferry people around the different parts of the show. I thought they ran a great service with the quick turnaround of the diesel and DMU services at each end. The quick loco changes at Loughborough also kept things frequent. I think in terms of the Ivatt and Standard 2 they chose economical locomotives. I think, for this event, it did not matter what steam loco they had on the front. I wonder what other such event would churn out three mainline steam locos, two mainline diesels and a DMU.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The 04 was on display on the siding at Quorn in 2014 for the first Gala. This year there was a varied selection of available locos in operation, providing a frequent service. The 04 is often shunted outside the shed at Loughborough when necessary for other reasons. These don't necessarily coincide with public events, often the week before or after. or when a boiler lift is scheduled.

Dava

My feelings following my first visit to this event are mainly positive but with some definite reservations. There was plenty of variety and the GCR was making a good job of welcoming its visitors. The un-predictable oppressive heat that affected the weekend is not the fault of the show organisers and they can't very well buy-in or hire-in expensive cooling arrangements just in case it happens again. The frequency of full size trains was good, the availability of food/refreshments was good, and the beer in the tin shed was especially welcome, all the more so for the fact that it was the real kind, straight from the cask, including a flavoursome dark mild - rather than just the pale fizzy citric mouthwash that is the only offer in far too many pubs and bars.

A number of the layouts were good, although I'm disappointed that not for the first time I found Leicester South with mainline somewhat quiet, nothing happening in the goods yard, and little stock on the scenic section looking as if it might be about to do something. In the heat and humidity it wasn't practical to hang around waiting for an improvement in activity nor could I find time and energy to return. Leicester South was however BUSY compared to one end to end layout we passed which was well set to instantly repel observers, thanks to a total lack of any rolling stock on its scenic section. Forgetting about ACTIVITY on the layouts, some were displaying very competently developed trackwork and scenery, but some others were visibly so poor "from a distance" as to deserve no closer inspection. I'm not sure how some of them get invited to shows...

The chance to have a thorough look around the loco shed at Loughborough was very pleasing, but what a shame and what an "own goal" for the GREAT CENTRAL to have the only GREAT CENTRAL loco on the whole railway so well tucked away and closely surrounded by others in the shed that it was hard work just to observe it with the naked eye, and virtually pointless to try to take any photos of it. I know that the O4 is out of action awaiting overhaul but as the only available "home railway" loco ought it not to at least to be properly visible for headline events such as this? The buildings on the preserved line, as they should, retain full GC character, but what about the TRAINS? Can I really imagine any of the major West of England preserved railways organising an event without a single GWR loco on show? Of course not! British Railways ownership and liveries did not feature as part of the GC until its last twenty years of existence, and the hostile London Midland Region only had control of the line for as long as it took to kill it off, so the preserved GC really should not be presented as just another "BR era preservation" clone.

Some people are never satisfied

I'm VERY satisfied with some things, so you're wrong.

I accept that stock that is either not serviceable or no longer in existence cannot be run, but the only "signature" GC loco could at least have been made properly visible as part of a GC event.

• Like 1

I'm VERY satisfied with some things, so you're wrong.

I accept that stock that is either not serviceable or no longer in existence cannot be run, but the only "signature" GC loco could at least have been made properly visible as part of a GC event.

In that case I hope you contributed to the fund for the new Main Line museum that will allow both surviving GC locomotives to be visible all of the time as well as Green Arrow.

• RMweb Premium

Great photos, Redkiterail - many thanks for putting them up - they look as if they give a good flavour of the event. They certainly show some cracking layouts and models!

I am curious - how did you download so many photos in one go or posting to RM web? You've made it look so easy!

John Storey

In response to GR King (post #63) bemoaning the lack of Great Central realism I would point out that the Great Central Railway was never a heavily trafficked route.

The Leicester South Model Railway is representative of a section the GCR, one could argue that a true reconstruction was clearly demonstrated.   

Michael

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

At the North section of the line are a number of GCR carriages either restored (I think one is finished now) or work in progress or awaiting restoration. Along with a new build GCR pattern (or more accurately an MS&LR pattern 4-4-0 the day will come when a highly suitable train will be available.

Until then, we have to put up with all these foreigners! There have been a number of LNER and constituent types on the line over the years but they all seem to have moved away now, which is a shame.

If the line was worked by a B1, V2, A3, D11, O4, K1, and the K4, it would be my idea of preservation heaven, especially if all the carriages were teak and a turntable at each end did away with tender first running. That will remain a dream!

I do agree that there is something especially nice about a preserved loco or some rolling stock being on its proper home line. I also (as a confirmed GCR fan) would have preferred to see the O4 parked outside where it could be seen. But I have seen it plenty of times, in steam and static, so I didn't consider it a major problem. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It was my first visit to the GCR and I I had a cracking day out - although the show was extremely hot - I'm glad I had the option of popping out for a cooling train ride - unlike the exhibitors and traders. Train services were frequent and enjoyable - I enjoyed all the motive power -  one suggestion would possibly be to include a few different diesels throughout the day  but that's a minor gripe. Being off my normal patch I enjoyed seeing some new layouts and particularly liked Tanpit Lane which I thought was very nicely put together. I also bought a few bits from LCUT so I'll be interested to see how they go together.

post-1107-0-27547900-1498051510_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-40157000-1498051519_thumb.jpgpost-1107-0-43416700-1498051525_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Great photos, Redkiterail - many thanks for putting them up - they look as if they give a good flavour of the event. They certainly show some cracking layouts and models!

I am curious - how did you download so many photos in one go or posting to RM web? You've made it look so easy!

John Storey

My process is copy of the sd card onto my computer hard drive, then load up infra view software run batch conversion and rename set the pixels width to 1080, I think and tick keep aspect ratio set destination folder to the scrap one on my desktop add the files I want and click OK, takes about 2 to 10 minutes depending on number of files and settings then upload on here and careful add one at some time time with lower file sizes as rmweb uploads the first ten I get setup the next ten to go wait a second and five of the previous batch has been done. This does not always work thank you for your apprication when the weather cools down I will be upload the full size files to my Flickr account Edited by Redkiterail