Odd problem

The Fatadder

• RMweb Gold

I have been trying for some time to get a star converted to DCC, and just cannot get it to work.

The loco had the 8 pin socket wired up wrong (now fixed), and the decoder (a lens gold) has been reset.

I have checked the resistance between all pins of the decoder (which is hard wired to the Hornby pcb) and it's connections on the loco. With no short detected.

The loco programs every time, and sometimes will work in both directions. After a few runs it will stop working (but still programe). I have tried two decoders with the same issue experienced.

Probably related, there is a soft humming sound from the loco in one direction only when running.

• RMweb Gold

As it's a Lenz decoder check the contents of CV 30.  If there's been a motor short or overload then it will be logged there.  CV 30 should be 0 normally.

• RMweb Gold

Personally I wouldn't scrap the 8-pin socket unless absolutely necessary, as you then lose the ability to swap the decoder easily.  Have you tried replacing the decoder with a blanking plug and testing on DC? Might be a wiring problem to the motor, for example which is why it will programme OK. 

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the advice

I checked the loco this evening and both chips I had fitted showed 4 on cv30 so thereust have been a short.

My gut feel is that it is poor quality in the loco to tender plug (again). The soloution of course was to rip out all of the wiring and hard wire loco to tender. (I did however keep the wire from pickups to the old plug as multimeter testing showed it ok).

And now it seems to be working ok, although it is not as good in reverse I have a feeling this may be a pickup issue. Not overly worried as it will not need to go backwards

• RMweb Gold

Personally I wouldn't scrap the 8-pin socket unless absolutely necessary, as you then lose the ability to swap the decoder easily. Have you tried replacing the decoder with a blanking plug and testing on DC? Might be a wiring problem to the motor, for example which is why it will programme OK.

It's been fine on dc,

As for swapping decoders, the beauty of the lenz harness is that the decoder separates from the wiring meaning it can be easily be swapped over

Archived