Article help - modellers tool tray

In an away-back Model Railroader there was an article on a DIY one of these with a work tray, and assorted holders for tools at the back. The article gave details of the wood required and had a diagram including, I believe, measurements.  Can anyone help me out with information as to the date of the magazine so that I can try to obtain a copy - mine seems to have "took legs"

• 2 weeks later...

So today the magazine arrived - and AAAARRGH! it is not the article I'm looking for!!!!! Much blue air!

The article I'm trying to find is for a tray, with racks built into the back to hold modelling tools, such as files, knives, pliers and cutters, screwdrivers, broaches, etc., in compartments. If anyone can help I'd be eternally grateful - if you have a photocopy I'd be even happier!

Stubby - thanks for that - the second one is a similar idea, but it is designed for tools rather than paints and therefore everything is much closer together and the holes are smaller with some being open vertical compartments. Thanks for posting though

Best

Jack

So today the magazine arrived - and AAAARRGH! it is not the article I'm looking for!!!!! Much blue air!

The article I'm trying to find is for a tray, with racks built into the back to hold modelling tools, such as files, knives, pliers and cutters, screwdrivers, broaches, etc., in compartments. If anyone can help I'd be eternally grateful - if you have a photocopy I'd be even happier!

I have built a holder for drills, files, etc, using a couple of bits of 25 mm thick hardwood offcuts from the local bespoke joinery maker. I used plastic tubes, normally used to hold tablets, as removable liners for each compartment (the one I used are 17mm diameter.)

Using an 18 mm hole cutter, I drilled lines of holes through one piece of wood. After removing all the rough edges where the drill had broken through each hole, I fixed the second piece of wood under the first, using screws and glue.

The tubes I used are 94mm long. the ones in the nearest row were cut to about 50mm, and in the next to about 70mm. This makes it easier to get the smaller drills out. 

I simply keep this device on the workbench; if you want to make a 'portable' workbench, then used a sheet of ply, fixing the drill-holder towards the back edge.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to those who looked - Thanks to the kind assistance of a member of RMWeb, I have had a message to say that the one I need is February 1990. My problem is solved

Jack, Is there any option of you posting an image of the tool tray, please ?

Archived