Gaugemaster Handheld W

Jonty

hello,

i have recently aquired a model W handheld controler and a 6pin socket and plug. It says that i need a 14-18v AC current to power the controller. I was wondering if i can use the 16v AC accesory port in the back of my other gaugemaster (model E) controller to power it sufficiently.

Help is apreciated.

Jonny

• RMweb Gold

hello,

i have recently aquired a model W handheld controler and a 6pin socket and plug. It says that i need a 14-18v AC current to power the controller. I was wondering if i can use the 16v AC accesory port in the back of my other gaugemaster (model E) controller to power it sufficiently.

Help is apreciated.

Jonny

Jonny.I would say no.Have a look at their website below for the tech spec.I use mine plugged with a din connector into the back of a 100M model.You need to use the pin and socket for it to work correctly.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/handheld.html#w

I would use it.

A 16v AC supply is perfect. It does not really matter what connector you use, but if you follow Gaugemaster's wiring recommendations for the plug & socket, then you'll be able to use it on someone else's layout (assuming they've followed the same wiring recommendations too).

You already have the plug & socket so go for it.

Have patience though: I can wire up D plugs all day long without any bother but I find DIN plugs a little fiddly.

• RMweb Gold

Three factors to consider when using the 16v ac output of any contoller.

1. is the secondary output electrical separate from the other. Nearly all controller designed for model railways are ok.

2. is the total current carrying capacity suficient. Again most reputable makes would be.

3. There needs to be short circuit protection somewhere I expect the model w is protected.

Donw

Archived