New Liveried Class 86s announced

Stu from EGDL

With regard to the names carried by 86259, at present it carries the name Peter Pan on one side and Les Ross on the other. From October 1995 until April 1998 86259 carried the nameplates "Greater Manchester-The Life and Soul of Britain".

SWFRS

Thanks for the info...Sounds like it's a first. A loco carrying two different names. I wonder if that's what Dapol intend to do? Or will they supply 2 etched plates for "Les Ross" and "Peter Pan"

Hi

When did 86259 get the electric blue livery as I seem to recall there was an 86 in the retro 1960's electric blue livery running around in the late 80's, but, I thought it was an 86/4?

Ian

Could you be thinking of this? 86.233 photographed at Carlisle in 2003.

post-7003-0-65109300-1493150470_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the info...Sounds like it's a first. A loco carrying two different names. I wonder if that's what Dapol intend to do? Or will they supply 2 etched plates for "Les Ross" and "Peter Pan"

Plenty of examples of locos with two different names. Allow me to give a few examples from the Class 87s:

87.001:   "Stephenson", became "Royal Scot".

87.006:   "City of Glasgow", "Glasgow Garden Festival", "George Reynolds"

87.012:   "Coeur de Lion" - shockingly replaced by "Royal Bank of Scotland"

87.023    "Highland Chieftain", became "Velocity"

....and there are many others

Royal Bank of Scotland? Shockingly indeed! :-)

Just as well it wasn't Sir Fred G*** they would have had to shorten the nameplate..... :-)

Actually the original names given to 87s naming them after classic steam locos were very inspiring back in the day imho.

• RMweb Gold

Plenty of examples of locos with two different names. Allow me to give a few examples from the Class 87s:

87.001: "Stephenson", became "Royal Scot".

87.006: "City of Glasgow", "Glasgow Garden Festival", "George Reynolds"

87.012: "Coeur de Lion" - shockingly replaced by "Royal Bank of Scotland"

87.023 "Highland Chieftain", became "Velocity"

....and there are many others

I think the point was carrying two different names at the same time.

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Wasn't aware of the two different names being carried at the same time, so my above post is now rather irrelevant..

There were some in the past with the name in English on one side and Welsh on the other. But those, strictly, were the same name.

Roy

I think the point was carrying two different names at the same time.

Roy

86248 had Sir Clywd/ County of Clywd on one side and County of Clywd/ Sir Clywd on the other.....so technically two different orders to the same name.

Of course...37425 had Sir Robert McAlpine on one side and Concrete Bob on the other.

On other matters , the 86/4 running around in Rail blue with white roofs and lion and wheel emblems was 86426 paired up with a BR Maroon mk1 rake for the InterCity 21st anniversary celebrations...

Later,

Stu from EGDL.

Hi

When did 86259 get the electric blue livery as I seem to recall there was an 86 in the retro 1960's electric blue livery running around in the late 80's, but, I thought it was an 86/4?

Ian

Could you be thinking of this? 86.233 photographed at Carlisle in 2003.

attachicon.gifR20030125_1010290.jpg

The Class 86/4 (86426) in the late eighties as part of the Inter City 21st birthday celebrations/events. http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3742/10553324514_9df1bbd3d0.jpg

Although 86233 had a more authentic and accurate paint job.

• 1 month later...

Good news on the exec livery front... Looks like Dapol have swapped to 86243 'Boys Brigade'.

http://www.Dapol.co.uk/Catalogue/index.html#18

Cheers,

Paul

I had that on my list of resprays to do so will be nice to be able to just buy that one. I wonder if they will do it with older style TDM's though??

https://flic.kr/p/t5tTMz

Best regards,

Jeremy

Archived