Selling Vinyls on Ebay?

Hammer

I was wondering if anyone had experience with selling vinyl records on ebay?

I've got about 100 records which I'm looking at selling. I bought them (off ebay!) about 7 years ago, but as technology moves on and my life's changed, they've just tended to gather more and more dust. I reckon someone else might as well get some use out of them and it gives me a bit of cash towards other things.

So any advice? I was thinking of putting them up in themed batches of five or six, which means folks would get a good deal on postage and so on.

BTW, if anyone is interested, it's mostly 80s rock. A couple of nice things in mint condition, but nothing rare.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with selling vinyl records on ebay?

I've got about 100 records which I'm looking at selling. I bought them (off ebay!) about 7 years ago, but as technology moves on and my life's changed, they've just tended to gather more and more dust. I reckon someone else might as well get some use out of them and it gives me a bit of cash towards other things.

So any advice? I was thinking of putting them up in themed batches of five or six, which means folks would get a good deal on postage and so on.

BTW, if anyone is interested, it's mostly 80s rock. A couple of nice things in mint condition, but nothing rare.

I'll PM you bro, I've probably shifted ten times more vinyl from my own collection than others have ever owned, and am about to move some more on. There are loads of things to be said on this topic, so when I'm back from the school run(s), I'll drop yer a note.

Cheers!

Keep a small selection that you really like, even if only for the cover art. Take the rest to an Oxfam or similar shop. Lot less hassle! Unless you have genuine rarities, the sale price won't begin to compensate for the trouble that those interested will expect from you. (Experience from getting sucked in to help a friend sell his vinyl collection a couple of years ago. )

Sorry to say, Prices are at rock bottom now, Book prices bear no relation to what they're fetching in reality. Looking round Huddersfield market recently, I noticed hundreds of LP's selling for just 50p each, even then, there were few takers. A lady offered one trader an Elvis Presley pink Double LP expecting to be offered a fortune, but he already had one for sale, in good condition for £4 although the trader had sold a different record for £50 proving that just a small minority, are 'still worth summat' best thing I can recommend, is look in your local charity shops to find how much similar records to yours, are fetching there, or look on Ebay if you've got some rare ones, so you can gain some insight there. Sorry to be a bit downbeat.

I'm hoping being able to put up groups of records will attract a few buyers to the good stuff. I've got about half of AC/DCs catalogue, good chunks of Bon Jovi (not really expecting that to go for much :lol: ), some Zep and so on.

There will be some going to Oxfam. I know fine that Eagles' Hotel California is still flooding the markets for example.

I'm also planning on keeping a few. Led Zep II, The Undertones, a couple of Metallica albums, Iron Maiden's Number of the Beast for the cover art. Might get some frames for them eventually.

As other people have already said, most LPs that were mass produced are worth peanuts. I buy odd albums in mint condition in Manchester from time to time for £1 each or seven for a fiver. Rarities tend to be stuff that was pressed from the mid 1990s onwards or promos, because these were much more limited runs. So, Number of the beast by Iron Maiden isn't worth much at all on vinyl, but Brave New World is (because it was mostly sold on CD not vinyl). Contrary to what a lot of people may expect, records by people such as the Beatles and Elvis Prestley aren't necessarily worth a lot, because they sold millions of copies so they are actually two a penny. Ebay probably isn't worth the hassle if the records you are disposing of aren't any rarities, so the charity shop is probably the best way. Alternatively you could try Amazon marketplace, but again don't expect it to yield lots of cash, and it will still involve a lot of posting legwork.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

only just noticed this thread but i thought i'd chip in, i had a load of records i wanted to sell and photographed them for ebay, i started listing them only to find i could only offer free postage which meant i would be losing money on each one as i wanted to start them at 99p to avoid charges, an average 12" single/album costs £3.50 to post recorded plus the cost of decent packaging, so if i listed them at say £4.99 to cover the postage ebay would get a listing fee of 15p and a final selling fee too, if it didn't sell they would still get their 15p regardless

anyway i decided to sell them on a site called discogs, www.discogs.com ,which is absolutly fantastic, thing is you can just leave the records up there for sale and forget about them as its a selling site , they are free to list, all the album art is pre-loaded so no need to photograph stuff and it gives you every variation of a release there is so you can check exactly which version you have, it will also give you a good idea of how much each i worth and what you should be selling for

for example i have a pet shop boys cd that i was about to charity bag but when i checked on discogs people were selling it for in excess of £25, as for fees you get billed at the start of the month and you can pay through paypal (the option i chose anyway), my last bill was for 1.20ish for selling about 10cd's

well worth a look

for example i have a pet shop boys cd that i was about to charity bag but when i checked on discogs people were selling it for in excess of £25, as for fees you get billed at the start of the month and you can pay through paypal (the option i chose anyway), my last bill was for 1.20ish for selling about 10cd's

well worth a look

Interesting. I'll take a look at that site. I'm generally a buyer rather than a seller.

Amazon marketplace has, in the past, yielded some interesting vinyl at eye watering prices. Whether or not they are listings by people trying their luck or genuine is another matter. Mechanical Animals by Marilyn Manson on gatefold vinyl for over £100? I should coco.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. I'll take a look at that site. I'm generally a buyer rather than a seller.

i'm a buyer rather than seller, thought i'd shove the cd's up though for a bit of extra cash

i used to have about 6000+ dance vinyls from about 1993 to 2002 before i sold them on ebay, stupidly not mp3'ing any of them, i'm now buying some of my fave tunes back and mp3'ing them for my ipod which in turn i do mixes with my ipod mixer, i buy from a couple of sellers in stoke and once i've converted them i take them back to them for a credit note or cash so were all winners!!

as for mechanical animals, there is only 1 for sale on vinyl and its the re=issue version, still not cheap though

mechanical animals on discogs

For reference, my vinyls have been taken care of. Some saved to be framed, some sold and some sent to the charity shop. No idea what happened to the flight case they were in, but my mother was making mutterings about doing something with it's so it probably been put to good use despite being worth more then all the records that went to charity. ;)

Thanks for the advice folks, hopefully it can be helpful to others now :)

Archived