The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

National Grid UK and France.

TheDukeOfWellingtons

• RMweb Premium

I've got a GB National Grid Status website in my favourites which I glance at from time to time and just recently they have started doing a French version which has raised a couple of questions. At 2145 Sunday the French total demand on their grid was 50% higher than UK demand. Considering the close similarity between our populations (within 2 million) and GDPs, what are they doing with all that extra power?

I've got a GB National Grid Status website in my favourites which I glance at from time to time and just recently they have started doing a French version which has raised a couple of questions. At 2145 Sunday the French total demand on their grid was 50% higher than UK demand. Considering the close similarity between our populations (within 2 million) and GDPs, what are they doing with all that extra power?

It's because France has a role in regulating European electricity supply.

• RMweb Premium

I was trying to see if there were any big TV events, completely forgot about the elections. 

France is currently only selling power to Germany (0.7% of total) and they are actually importing power from the UK, Italy, Switzerland and Spain as I write this.

• RMweb Premium

Do the French have a good domestic gas supply network? It has been suggested that their domestic energy requirements are far more heavily reliant on electricity than are ours, the UK domestic gas supply reaching a far larger proportion of the populace than theirs?

Do the French have a good domestic gas supply network? It has been suggested that their domestic energy requirements are far more heavily reliant on electricity than are ours, the UK domestic gas supply reaching a far larger proportion of the populace than theirs?

Outside of major towns, gas supplies are via bottle or bulk-delivered LPG, rather than being supplied by mains gas as we are. Central heating is often by 'fioul' (light fuel oil/ kerosene), or by wood-burners, outside of urban areas. 

It was quite cold last night, away from the coast, with temperatures close to zero in areas such as Burgundy. There have been several hard frosts, along with hail, in that region over the past week.

Archived