Unwanted expense of a DCC sound chip

A friend wants to buy the forthcoming Bachmann D3 SKIDDAW locomotive but doesn't do digital and doesn't want the expense of something added that he doesn't need. What price could be clawed back from selling the chip on (assuming it is a removeable chip and not wired in permanently). I've looked on eBay but nothing there at the moment to compare. I can see Muggins here actually buying it then doing the chip removal and reclaiming the chip value. Probably won't be any cheaper for him.

• RMweb Gold

The decoder will be a removable 21pin, normally a blanking plug is included in the detail pack (this has been the case for the 47s)

Bearing in mind by removing the DCC sound chip he "technically" voids the waranty..

But.....it all depends on what chip is fitted, Bachmann have developed the annoying habbit of fitting LOKsound selects to factory fitted DCC sound models which given the track record of Bachmann factory sound projects makes this very unattractive.

Expect a select to fetch in the region of £30-50 on ebay

If by some miracle they have seen sense and gone back for V4s, expect these to fetch in the region of £80-£90 on ebay.

However a blank V4 can be had for £82 so bear this in mind if selling privately.

Its unlikely it will run out of the box as the DC option wont be set on the decoder so bear this in mind if trying out on DC before removing the decoder.

Would a better idea be to buy a non-sound/DCC loco and then see if anyone advertises a D3 body?

A version of this which I have used in the past is to get my local model shop to act as broker on the deal. If they have a customer who wants a sound fitted version of the class in a body style which comes (blessedly) silent, whereas I want the body style that happens to come with the infernal racket generating kit, there's two sales, and then whichever of the customers is screwdriver skilled swaps over the mechanisms (and any other parts as required).

• RMweb Premium

Unless you can find someone wanting to do a body swap, would it not make more sense to get hold of a Non-DCC fitted loco in the same livery (Hattons have a second hand D1 in stock at the moment) and get it re-named & re-numbered? The cost of doing so is probably less than you'll loose on selling the sound decoder.

Happy modelling.

Steven B.

Its unlikely it will run out of the box as the DC option wont be set on the decoder so bear this in mind if trying out on DC before removing the decoder.

Are you sure? I have never bought a chip with DC disabled, either on its own or in a loco.

It does not make sense either. It leaves the manufacturer open to returns because the loco does not work.

Quite often model shops will willingly do a swap, because they know that there will be some-one who wants a sound version of one of the other similar models that the manufacturer doesn't do factory fitted. Hattons used to do something similar for those who wanted, for example, a 3-rail Hornby Dublo Cardiff Castle back in the day. I have a 3 rail Golden Fleece that they assembled from new this way though thankfully I'm not old enough to be the original person to request this option! Some-one will always buy the other combination of lid and chassis that you don't want. The trick is to find the retailer who is happy to do this.

All new Bachmann factory sound fitted locos have Select chips fitted. Bit naff if you ask me, having to pay top whack for an inferior and non reblowable soundchip.

It is very naff so don't buy them.

I have refused to buy a loco because it is sound fitted with a select chip. This leaves me 3 choices; go without, wait for a couple of years & hope that what I want becomes available or do a complete respray.

Cheap, rubbish non-sound decoders have put me off buying DC fitted too. I heard that Bachmann now use re-badged Zimos. That's great but they will stop this & go back to fitting cheap rubbish again & the buyer just doesn't know what they are getting.

I would prefer to pay an extra £10 knowing that I have a decent Zimo or Lenz, but Bachmann or Hornby are unlikely to do this because it would have a negative effect on sales.

Archived