R2898XS Schools St. Paul - Request and a bit of a rant

Ian Abel

A request and a bit of a rant also...

I recently obtained a very good (seems almost new) condition R2898XS Schools sounds equipped loco.

It came unboxed and therefore no paperwork.

Took me a while to discover (surfing the 'net) that the sound decoder is a Loksound v3.0 apparently, JMRI couldn't ascertain the exact decoder, only giving me a choice of about 4 different options.

What I'm looking for is both the regular service sheet(not super important) AND the sound document/sheet that came with the loco (urgent).

Does anyone have either or BOTH they could scan/email me? I'd be very grateful.

<RANT>

The Hornby web site has NO "current" Schools service sheet, only an older circa 2009 sheet - quite possibly the same overall, but doesn't specifically list the R2898XS on the sheet, so no guarantee as to any parts that may be desired etc.

The pages where the sound docs. should be have NOTHING available and even posts to the Hornby forum by folks looking for the same stuff several years back have apparently gone ignored, as there's still no link to the document.

Do they really not bother with many of the locos they produce? I've had similar 50-50 success with a few other both new and older models <sigh>

<RANT OFF>

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 1

• 3 years later...

Thanks RAF96,

Unfortunately the schools file was unavailable on the Hornby link when I tried it.

Thanks GWRtrainman,

That's great, I can now see which function key is "supposed" to do what! I've only just fitted this old V3.5 decoder into my "Blundells" loco, after having to wait for a 100ohm speaker to arrive through the post. 

Kind Regards

Eve