LNWR workbench John

9 hours ago, Coal Tank said:

... I am finding the guards dockets time consuming but hopefully they can go on next 

john

Encouraging to see another 4mm LNWR modeller at work and looking very good.  In my experience, I find forming the duckets as a unit off the model easier.  Not sure what the LRM instructions say on the matter though

• Like 2

The guards duckets are done so almost there I kind of gave up on the door hinges as I remembered that when I last built one of these I put brass strip and n from the inside soldered it then just cut it off on the inside so I will probably do the same with this one 

john

• Like 2

Coal Tank, your Dia 330 Coach.
I've never built a LRM coach kit, so I don't know what the instructions are like.
Therefore I, with some trepidation, shall mention that I think the roof detail over the lavatories may be in error.
As you will be aware, the Dia 330 Bk 3rd was a one off on that Dia, converted from one of 20 built to Dia 227.
The lamp and vents over the toilet on your roof, I think they should be as per the Dia 227.
There are two lamps, one for each toilet, also a smaller version of the ventilator for each toilet and then midway between the lamps (more or less*) a water tank filler.
The latter was approx 3.5" diameter and 4.5" tall.
The roof mountings for the lamp were inset into the roof, so the base remained horizontal.
* Described in West Coast Joint Stock - HMRS Publication - as '.. located on the centre line but usually offset from the transverse centre line of the lavatory'.
I attach part copies of Dia 227 and Dia 330 (from 'LNWR Non-Corridor Coaches, LNWR Soc.,') - Why would they have wasted money changing the insets for the lamps, a new hole on the centre line and a shared globe between the toilets (cutting the top of the dividing partition) ?
Also one of LRM's coaches showing the inset (From the Scalefour Soc Web pages) and from the Warwickshire Railways excellent website, a roof view at Birmingham New Street'
But, your doing a grand job, Coal tank :)

Dia 162 - Part.jpg

Dia 227 - Part.jpg

Dia 330 - Part.jpg

lnwrbns_str1858a - New Street - Part.jpg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi Sandy thank you for that I did wonder about that I copied what I think was a D330 on London RD at the scale four AGM luckily I have a few spare roofs .

I will say thank you again for the instructions for the steam rail motor as that is next in line to finish 

regareds 

.    John 

Sorry to have missed a couple of days for reply, I've been away - delivering a 1932 'Austin 7' to the Borders, Alnwick, not Launceston. I've not caught up with modern technology, yet, if ever, so no iPad's etc., to follow RMweb, just a basic mobile phone for home.
Another Austin 7 event I'm off to is Beaulieu this coming weekend, no rest for pensioners.

I'm sure Jol's right in the photo of London Road, he is in the LNWR Society and has access to their No.1 reference person for carriages.
I'm glad there's another LNWR modeller coming along.
Best of luck.
My exhibiting days are over now, difficult to hire a van (to old),
and the weight of the boards I'm sure has increased :wacko:
This year, is Penlan's (the layout) 30th birthday, and it becomes a Roundy-Roundy - eventually.

Edited by Penlan
  • Like 3