Class 56 seized now no lights!

Just wanted to say thanks to all on this thread for the advice. I have just acquired a Hornby 56 with sound and although new it must have been sitting for some time and was seized up. Upon reading this I took the driveshafts with the worm gear out to find the square metal bearings either side of the worm gear were locked solid to the shaft. After releasing them and lubricating the bearings before assembly all is now well. Biggest issue was with releasing the circuit board with the sound chip to give enough clearance to get the bogie released and the driveshaft relocated. Was scared I was going to break the wires but there is enough slack to support the operation. Thanks again; much appreciated.

• Like 1

The advice certainly helped me Kev, I wouldn't have known what to do if it wasn't for the people on here. I'm still trying to get the lights to work though! Had them working for a couple of days then one end stopped working! I think when I've got a decoder for it I'll fit it then hard wire the lights and hopefully not have take the body off too much.

Steve

Lights on mine are still ok tonight so only time will tell if they stop working. Guess I was lucky when putting the body back on based on comments in this thread. If they stop working then hard wiring might be the best option as you suggest Steve.

The light issue seems to be a relatively common problem on several Hornby diesel locos, and seems to be caused by the use of contact strips to allow the removal of the body. If you remove the body they can be a pain to get a good contact once you replace the shell. As you have said the answer may be to hard wire the lights, however it may be useful to fit some micro plugs to allow you to remove the body in future.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Good Morning All!

Thank you for the solution, We had the same issue last week, unfortunately before reading we thought it was a wiring fault so removed all wires from the PcB board.

I have now connected all the wires up and undertaken the steps as mentioned for the bogies and the loco work almost perfectly.

I have a lighting issue tho :(

When I run the loco from left to right... Front and rear lights work as they should.

However... when we run it right to left all white and red lights come on the front and rear :(

Does anyone have any advice or the PCB wiring diagram for the class 56?