Diamond Crossing with PL-13 Switches

ianLMS

• RMweb Gold

Good afternoon everyone,

I am hoping someone can help with this DCC electrical question. I have looked at all the references, posts etc but I cant seem to get my head around it, so I thought I would draw a picture of what I think I need to do, in the hope that some extremely intelligent person out there and point me in the right direction.

So, I have a Peco live frog diamond crossing leading from one mainline, across the other and onto a siding via two points. Currently, both points are operated using Peco solenoid PL-10E's with PL-13 accessory switches underneath to switch the frog polarity. Both points have been modified underneath as per the guidance etc. I have completely isolated the diamond and when I was DC, it worked just fine via a DPDT. Now I am DCC, it shorts out, or is dead completely. Does the below picture look correct? Any guidance will be gratefully received. I have the picture and attached a .pdf if it helps.

Diamond Crossing DCC Wiring.pdf

post-21193-0-55988400-1494600537_thumb.jpg

The wiring looks OK to me.

But it does leave the option of having the points set for the siding and trying to run a train over the green line. This would cause a short.

You need to interlock the routes and points somehow. Depending on your DCC system you could use route setting to acheive this.

Regards,

John P

• RMweb Gold

The wiring looks OK to me.

But it does leave the option of having the points set for the siding and trying to run a train over the green line. This would cause a short.

You need to interlock the routes and points somehow. Depending on your DCC system you could use route setting to acheive this.

Regards,

John P

Thanks John - I use a z21 start with Wi-Fi via my Tablet so I might be able to. I will have to look into it.

Ian

Good afternoon everyone,

I am hoping someone can help with this DCC electrical question. I have looked at all the references, posts etc but I cant seem to get my head around it, so I thought I would draw a picture of what I think I need to do, in the hope that some extremely intelligent person out there and point me in the right direction.

So, I have a Peco live frog diamond crossing leading from one mainline, across the other and onto a siding via two points. Currently, both points are operated using Peco solenoid PL-10E's with PL-13 accessory switches underneath to switch the frog polarity. Both points have been modified underneath as per the guidance etc. I have completely isolated the diamond and when I was DC, it worked just fine via a DPDT. Now I am DCC, it shorts out, or is dead completely. Does the below picture look correct? Any guidance will be gratefully received. I have the picture and attached a .pdf if it helps.

If a crossing is dead completely that indicates that one of the switches isn't working properly.

Check that the switches are working properly.

Also make sure that you have insulated rail joiners on all frog rails.

Its easy to forget one when laying track.

Tony.

I suppose that you've checked that the Pl13s are switching to give you the correct polarity at the frogs - it's easy to transpose the two feed wires. If you have a multimeter use that to check for continuity between the points' frogs and those on the diamond crossing.

Also as another poster said - have you checked that the Pl13s are working (and every time) as they are not the most reliable of switches.

Regards

Edited by terrysoham

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks for all of tbe responses. Will check everything over the weekend and follow my diagram and see if it all works. My main concern was the wiring diagram and if i made any errors in my understanding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just to let you know the wiring set up worked a treat. Yes i need to remember to re set the points to normal after crossing the mainline but will use leds to tell me which route is set so it shouldnt ne a problem. I will only use the crossover to access my desigmated programming track so not too often. Cheers for your help. Ian