RMweb

Hornby retooled Mk1s

Essentially, yes. Railroad ones have plastic wheels, "full range" versions have metal wheels and, in some cases, lights as well. The full range ones may also have a little extra printing for markings, but I haven't checked this.

• RMweb Premium

The first of the new range were R4350. These were Railroad versions with reduced lining and decoration, and indeed had plastic wheels. The main range ones have full lining and decoration, and metal wheels. Well worth the extra few quid to get the main range versions. The moulded detail looks fantastic, and in my experience they run far better than some of Bachmanns.

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R4355_1504306_Qty1_2.jpg

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R4710_3196909_Qty1_2.jpg

Here I've found two images of the choc and cream BSKs to tell the difference. The main range version has metal wheels, more printing, I think better windows and more detailing on the coach ends, all for £4.50 more from Hattons!

I'm thinking of getting one and fitting it with passengers for my future layout (see below).

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R4355_1504306_Qty1_2.jpg

https://hattonsimages.blob.core.windows.net/products/R4710_3196909_Qty1_2.jpg

Here I've found two images of the choc and cream BSKs to tell the difference. The main range version has metal wheels, more printing, I think better windows and more detailing on the coach ends, all for £4.50 more from Hattons!

I'm thinking of getting one and fitting it with passengers for my future layout (see below).

Given how expensive wheels are now you probably get your money back by not having to rewheel the RailRoad ones.

I bought a rake of these without any lighting function for around £16 - £18 each just before Christmas. They were a variety of metal and plastic wheels. The detailing was very acceptable and I added the BR roundal to a few. They are really nice models and may have some inaccuracies which I would have a clue about. Why Hornby have decided to increase prices to over double the amount first asked, I have no idea. I think Hattons have some left at the lower prices from a job lot clearout when Hornby were in seriuos financial trouble last year. Keep a lookout for bargains from retailers as I am sure Hornby are still dumping stock to keep finances secure. There are some super bargains available at present if you look. I just got a King for £99 inc post. I am looking at Helmingham Hall in the Railroad range as it is very well detailed and only £57! that is a bargain for a very nice model.

I bought a rake of these without any lighting function for around £16 - £18 each just before Christmas. They were a variety of metal and plastic wheels. The detailing was very acceptable and I added the BR roundal to a few. They are really nice models and may have some inaccuracies which I would have a clue about. Why Hornby have decided to increase prices to over double the amount first asked, I have no idea. I think Hattons have some left at the lower prices from a job lot clearout when Hornby were in seriuos financial trouble last year. Keep a lookout for bargains from retailers as I am sure Hornby are still dumping stock to keep finances secure. There are some super bargains available at present if you look. I just got a King for £99 inc post. I am looking at Helmingham Hall in the Railroad range as it is very well detailed and only £57! that is a bargain for a very nice model.

You didn't get it from Warley by any chance did you? I got my SK from a stand there - I believe Sawyer Models. Only trouble is that now I need a BSK!

Aren't the Railroad ones still at full RRP of about £17 - £19 and it's the "detailed" ones that are discounted to about the same price?

http://www.hattons.co.uk/stocklist/1000389/1000588/1000636/0/Hornby_OO_Gauge_1_76_Scale_Coaches/prodlist.aspx?sort=5&showPreowned=false&pageid=1

To be honest I don't think many that buy the Railroad versions are going to be bothered about whether they are running the correct sets. Just as long as the liveries match and they look right.

Jason

Just to reply. I have never been to Warley as I hate the NEC which I have visited 3 times in the past for cars (another hobby). All my purchases now are from whoever seems to have the best price and service. Rails and Model Railways Direct seem to do both 99% of the time followed by Hattons which seem to have got slower on delivery over the past 12 months. I am not paying for next day either with couriers such as the useless HERMES group. I will buy from most model shops when I visit another town as a treat fro me for the day. Scouring the model press will show up many bargins if you look carefully and some are from smaller shops. I really think that Hornby do not give the small retailer a fair crack of the whip regarding stock. Am I being a cheapskate? No I am not I don't think, when nearly all makers sell at inflated RRP and by waiting just a couple of months I can save up to £90 on some items on offer. That is another loco or nearly one. I spotted Heljan doing this sometime back and belive that other makers have adopted the same sales ploy. Sorry if this has taken the post off topic but I would look around and one shop selling coaches cheap was Howarth Models.

Archived