RMweb

Lighting in railway room

Hi All, I have just extended my garage for a railway extension ,I am putting up new lighting, One of my old light fittings that i am reusing is a 4ft long L,E,D strip light

it is very bright and gives off no heat,so i am thinking of getting some more of these,But they are 50 pound each,and i need a few,so can i ask before i buy

them, What do you use to give a good bright light in your railway room,and is l,e,d the best way to go.   Thankyou Garry

Assuming you are just wanting to illuminate the layout, I favour attaching lighting behind a support about two feet above the front of the layout. Recently I used three 2 foot low power kitchen under-cabinet strip lights for my 8'x2' layout. This way the light tends to illuminate the layout from the front rather than from above and does not get in your eyes. I take it a step further and use the proceneum arch principal as in museums or the theatre.

• RMweb Gold

I have been using something similar to these led 12v strips to improve the light my workshop.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5PCS-100CM-12V-18W-SMD5630-72LED-Rigid-Light-Strip-Tube-Bar-Lamp-White-1800LM-UK-/182337433715?hash=item2a74287073

They have an aluminium backing and a flimsy transparent cover. They are so bright that they need some sort of shade to keep direct light out of your eyes.

I have bought a "proper" led power suply for them to be on the safe side, as I don't know whether a train set 12v supply would be smooth enough. My preference is for the daylight white version.

Dave

• RMweb Gold

I am using blue tinted led strips from led desk lights until I can rig up something a bit more permanent.  Blue evokes the ambience of a cloudy dull day, and I have them in front of the layout all angled in the same direction; many layouts have overhead lighting which illuminates the tops of the train brilliantly (literally), but is not particularly representative of typical UK daylight, or anywhere outside the tropics, and always seems to be in conjunction with white roofed stock, which looks dreadful IMHO.  

Dave is wise not to attempt to use unproven power supplies for his lighting; flicker is incredibly annoying!

You definitely need a proper 12 volt supply as 12 volt LEDs will either be 12 volt for computer PSUs or 14.5 volt for Automotive 12 Volt and not suitable for your typical 21volt "12 volt" model railway supplies.

Personally if its a shed I would just use ordinary florescent tubes.    Lighting an indoor layout is pretty hopeless as inevitably operators throw shadows if you try to get anything but a "Noon" effect .  One of the beauties of outdoor railways is the realistic shadows, especially when they pass under bridges or through short tunnels.

If you have mains in your garage (which I assume you do because your layout is there), then I definitely agree with the above...fluorescent lighting.

My layout is in my master bedroom. It had standard bedroom lighting until last Christmas when I got a double fluorescent fitting installed. It is a huge improvement. I am hardly ever working in my own shadow like before & I wondered why I had not done this a long time ago.

I went a stage further & bought some daylight tubes for it s few weeks later. I have not noticed much difference with these but when it comes to taking photos, I expect the camera will show up the difference.

I am useing cheep LED floodlights meant for out door use to light the loft in my house, there was a eight foot fluorescent tube in there when I moved in but even though it was eight foot long single point lighting is no good. Now with one above and one at each end shineing in wards the lighting is much better and nearer a cool daylight colour all for less than thirty quid and only thirty watt total consumption

Archived