Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

The bits in the topics.

Is that how you made that fantastic Parcels Car?

Dave.

Hi Dave,

I made one in the b/w photo and bought the other on ebay. The One I made has the components you can see in the photo and a Bachmann chassis. The one I bought, looks scratch built, although it has some inaccuracies and runs like a clog, it will need work to bring it up to a reasonable standard. thanks for the interest,

Ian B 

The bits in the topics.

Is that how you made that fantastic Parcels Car?

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Just a thought, or maybe it's my suspicious mind, but you aren't trying to get me to take credit for the model you built? I take it that's the one off ebay?

IB

Hi Dave,

Just a thought, or maybe it's my suspicious mind, but you aren't trying to get me to take credit for the model you built? I take it that's the one off ebay?

IB

Not at all, Ian.

Now I've re-read the thread i see it could look like that.

No. Just wanted to 'bid it up' a bit. :-))

Edited by dasatcopthorne
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

post-6265-0-32553400-1509794607_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-18042200-1509794635_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-26007400-1509794668_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-22081800-1509794698_thumb.jpg

Handyside Tagarine (left)  and the Alnwick Castle pub (right) nearly done. I'm waiting for some printed chimney pots and guttering. The footbridge on the right runs from Baring Street to Pilot Road, for those of you familiar with the area, The closer of the two tracks is the South Shields to Monkwearmouth Line (via the coast) the further one is the Harton line running from Westoe Pit to the former Stanhope and Tyne drops. Wot larks rewriting the railway history of South Shields!

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

post-6265-0-73690700-1512502549_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-68686600-1512502571_thumb.jpg

Making progress with Pilot Street, which runs along the rear of the layout and parallel to Wapping Street which fronts the River Tyne, (Well in my world anyway!)

just some guttering to do and chimneys. After that I have to finish the Tyne Dock Engineering complex, which is about 3/4 done, we'll get there!!

• Like 6

post-6265-0-39572500-1512550484_thumb.jpg

Supposed location of Tynebank, although I have moved around other features of South Shields, such as comical Corner and T.D.E. I will in due course superimpose the track plan onto an O.S map. I have also kept buildings long after they were demolished. Never let fact stand in the way of visual effect!

• Like 2

post-6265-0-20535100-1512573388_thumb.jpg

.Here is a map which shows the position of Tynebank with respect to the river, I have moved some landmarks about a bit on the model for effect. My apologies to Sand Dancers everywhere. Actually I'm considering a name change to either Pilot Road or Shadwell Street just to nail the location.

Cheers all, there will be no more posts until after Xmas, so Complements of the Season and Happy Modelling to you all

Ian B

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Happy new year to you all, last few snaps for a while, we are having some house modifications done, including an overhaul to the railway room to make it more accessible.

post-6265-0-62698800-1514718171_thumb.jpg, Last building on Pilot Street. Demolition is taking place and clearance of the old riverside buildings is underway.

post-6265-0-46076000-1514718278_thumb.jpg Tynedock Q6 light to Wearmouth Colliery passes between T.D.E and Tynebank box.

post-6265-0-69953100-1514718425_thumb.jpg Next building project, Pilot Street Box, this is a bridge box to cover the left hand exit on the higher level, thanks to Chris P for the inspiration!

post-6265-0-34397200-1514718528_thumb.jpg  Last one for now.

All the best

Ian B

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Happy new year to you all, last few snaps for a while, we are having some house modifications done, including an overhaul to the railway room to make it more accessible.

attachicon.gifDSC00196.JPG, Last building on Pilot Street. Demolition is taking place and clearance of the old riverside buildings is underway.

attachicon.gifDSC00197.JPG Tynedock Q6 light to Wearmouth Colliery passes between T.D.E and Tynebank box.

attachicon.gifDSC00199.JPG Next building project, Pilot Street Box, this is a bridge box to cover the left hand exit on the higher level, thanks to Chris P for the inspiration!

attachicon.gifDSC00200.JPG  Last one for now.

All the best

Ian B

Makes me feel homesick, Ian!

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, we could be in the Westoe, having a few, then to the Cri before going onto the Chelsea Cat!!  Have a great New Year

Nah, upstairs in the Stag's Head, for the music.  Too many liners and pistons flying in the Westoe, or star sights that put folk in the middle of Saudi!

I wish you could bottle the atmosphere in your layout and send it to me!  TDE, the lot...love it.

• 5 weeks later...

post-6265-0-36353300-1517323884_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-04100100-1517323913_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-90747200-1517323954_thumb.jpg

Nearly finished, the room provides better access and surprisingly enough cupboard space for all the junk I have amassed over the years. Tynebank will be cantilevered off the longer wall. I hope to be back modelling next week.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Really great stuff Ian. Your version of the light blue used on huts agrees with my memory, NYMR have it far too light and wishy washy (or perhaps it was a local thing). Your new room looks very nice, I look forward to lots of modelling from you. My places of worship downtown were the Voyager, then to the Tavern, then to the Royal Curry House (other pubs, nightclubs and restaurants were available).

Regards,

Tom

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Never had you down for the Voyager, Tom!

Great to see things coming together, Ian - I await with bated breath for the next instalment.

That blue.....I'm tending to the wishy-washy version - but was it just weathered out?  No wonder people disagree over colour of things so much!