Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

post-6265-0-44854600-1528637673_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-96902200-1528637701_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-77203100-1528637740_thumb.jpg

Some progress on the Tyne Dock engineering crane, as a starter I used the Cambrian GWR model, I rather liked the instructions and the Dali-esque way they had been written and illustrated. I have to make a boiler for it next (should be fun) If anyone is interested the ladder to the bridge box can be seen. There is an article it this months Modeller on building a bridge box in 2mm.

Second snap is of a Q6, it is actually in what will be the Harton exchange siding for the former Stanhope  Drops, which in my universe still exist and are used by the NCB, hence the repositioning of the TDE further to the East.

Final snap shows the whole 4' of the layout.

Edited by ianblenk
  • Like 14

Mmm, lush.  The shot of the Q6 looks like a fog is coming up the Tyne! (which is all mine, all mine....).

Just so characterful Ian, I am so jealous of your skills.

Hi Neil,

The fog is my crap photography!! Next is ballasting the upper level which I'm not looking forward to, I have some dyed fine grade shot blasting sand, which I have used before, it gives a close approximation of ash ballast, I'll use Johnson's Klear or whatever it's called these days, then on to the allotments, can you get 4mm pigeons? maybe Shapeways will print some ha ha. Speak soon

Ian B

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil,

The fog is my crap photography!! Next is ballasting the upper level which I'm not looking forward to, I have some dyed fine grade shot blasting sand, which I have used before, it gives a close approximation of ash ballast, I'll use Johnson's Klear or whatever it's called these days, then on to the allotments, can you get 4mm pigeons? maybe Shapeways will print some ha ha. Speak soon

Ian B

Probably your best bet will be these Preiser ones, some shitehawks gulls in there too which will be useful.

• 4 weeks later...

post-6265-0-83279200-1531228977_thumb.jpg

Steam crane at work in T.D.E. I still have to paint it.

With work on the upper section (The through lines) nearly complete it's time to think about Tynebank Yard.

post-6265-0-09821400-1531229291_thumb.jpg

68427 has a run down to the staiths with coal for the London River. The branch also serves some riverside industries, the overheads are for the ES1 which will be running the riverside goods.

post-6265-0-85494400-1531229241_thumb.jpg

After having delivered its' train of coal 63429 will return light to Borough Gardens (I know its' tender shouldn't be full! Wot no running lamps?)

post-6265-0-83279200-1531228977_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-85494400-1531229241_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-09821400-1531229291_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gifDSC00242.JPG

Steam crane at work in T.D.E. I still have to paint it.

With work on the upper section (The through lines) nearly complete it's time to think about Tynebank Yard.

attachicon.gifDSC00244.JPG

68427 has a run down to the staiths with coal for the London River. The branch also serves some riverside industries, the overheads are for the ES1 which will be running the riverside goods.

attachicon.gifDSC00246.JPG

After having delivered its' train of coal 63429 will return light to Borough Gardens (I know its' tender shouldn't be full! Wot no running lamps?)

The crew of 63429 are obviously partaking of a Newcastle Brown Ale via the convenient footbridge !

This just layout just gets better and better.

Regards,

Tom

The crew of 63429 are obviously partaking of a Newcastle Brown Ale via the convenient footbridge !

This just layout just gets better and better.

Regards,

Tom

Probably in the 'Ferry'

• Like 1

Ian, could I ask what colour you painted your hopper wagons please?

Ta.

I used Halfords' Red Primer'. They need to be weathered. I have started on some ballasting, using dyed shot blast sand (Extra Fine) Very tedious, my least favourite aspect!

Cheers

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Ian.

I went to paint one on Sunday, to find nothing suitable amongst the hundred or so tins of paint!  Looking out the window at a bridge on my garden railway that is painted with that primer it seems a bit too bright to me - weathering time!

I'm sure in earlier times (60's - ish) they had a more red tint than later, but it is impossible to see in photos as the colour varies in photos so much anyway!  I recall noticing the change and 'spotting' the older ones.  This all long before the body renewals.  I also thought I had a photo of one of the 'million ton' wagons, but can I as hell find it!  Those house moves again.

post-6265-0-48407800-1532012496_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-88214100-1532012551_thumb.jpg

post-6265-0-88034600-1532012608_thumb.jpg

Making a start on the allotments. I've used Severn Models for the sheds and greenhouse.

I suppose the next weeks will be taken up making leeks, cabbages and cauliflowers from tissue paper. Sometimes I think it is all rather pointless.

Cheers

Ian B

• Like 7

attachicon.gifDSC00247.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00248.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC00250.JPG

Making a start on the allotments. I've used Severn Models for the sheds and greenhouse.

I suppose the next weeks will be taken up making leeks, cabbages and cauliflowers from tissue paper. Sometimes I think it is all rather pointless.

Cheers

Ian B

Love the crees. But most of the leek men I knew grew chrysanths too.

Mike