Tynebank: South Tyneside circa 1960

ianblenk

Hi Neil & Tom,

I think I have the shade a little too dark, china blue  would fade quite quickly especially in the salty environs of the Tyne estuary I hadn't finished painting the buildings, in fact they came from an older layout, so maybe a light grey wash will sort it out. It looks a lot darker in real life than it does on  the snaps. I am using a florescent strip to light the model. I did buy some LED strips from LED hut, but I'm not sure about them. Florescent ones always seem to have been ok in the past. I have a smaller mineral railway planned, so will maybe try them out on that. I'm  hoping to visit Birtley this year, either of you there?

Cheers

Ian B

• 2 weeks later...

post-6265-0-20356000-1518117734_thumb.jpgpost-6265-0-62370400-1518117784_thumb.jpg

The sevens on a stopper from Middlesboro' to Shields via the coast. The loco is a renumbered and weathered Hornby and the coaches are BSL which Noah had on the ark. Great to be back in the railway room and looking forward to getting the layout finished and playing trains!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Hi Neil & Tom,

I think I have the shade a little too dark, china blue  would fade quite quickly especially in the salty environs of the Tyne estuary I hadn't finished painting the buildings, in fact they came from an older layout, so maybe a light grey wash will sort it out. It looks a lot darker in real life than it does on  the snaps. I am using a florescent strip to light the model. I did buy some LED strips from LED hut, but I'm not sure about them. Florescent ones always seem to have been ok in the past. I have a smaller mineral railway planned, so will maybe try them out on that. I'm  hoping to visit Birtley this year, either of you there?

Cheers

Ian B

Hi Ian,

sorry for not replying sooner but I've had the worst bout of flu ever, even had a week off work. I don't think I'll be going to Birtley as it's too close to the Perth Green show, which I always try to get to as it's near where I was born.

I'm taking a lot of inspiration from this layout Ian, keep up the good work.

Tom

post-6265-0-64319800-1518515853_thumb.jpg

Electric unit for the Central waiting for the peg, still needs a little work to the front end.

As an aside, I used Peco insulators to hold the third rail, these have become brittle and broken up. I have some Scale four ones, but I suspect my tremor will prevent me from assembling these. I think I will have to resort to brass tacks with the third rail soldered on to them unless any one has any ideas.

Thanks 

Ian B

• Like 5

attachicon.gifDSC00206.JPG

Electric unit for the Central waiting for the peg, still needs a little work to the front end.

As an aside, I used Peco insulators to hold the third rail, these have become brittle and broken up. I have some Scale four ones, but I suspect my tremor will prevent me from assembling these. I think I will have to resort to brass tacks with the third rail soldered on to them unless any one has any ideas.

Thanks 

Ian B

Ian

Have you thought about dipping the insulators into Johnsons/Humbrol Klear to give them a reinforcing coating?

Sorry to hear about your tremor, your work has always been impressive and inspirational. Hope to see you at Birtley.

Mike

Ian

Have you thought about dipping the insulators into Johnsons/Humbrol Klear to give them a reinforcing coating?

Sorry to hear about your tremor, your work has always been impressive and inspirational. Hope to see you at Birtley.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I think  I will give that a go. It's been very frustrating as it took ages to get the pots in place and not foul the various locos and stock which will be running on the layout. I did use a jig, but this didn't always give the correct clearance especially for the ES1. I will report back! Once again, thanks.

Ian B

• RMweb Gold

When I was building Fellburn I couldn't find Peco insulators anywhere so I used some large headed pins and soldered the rails on with a good blob of solder which was painted white, not perfect but did the job. This way if the rail was too high in places it could be gently tapped down with a hammer.

Interested to hear your problems with the pots, as my next layout will use rather a lot of these.

Love the South Shields unit too!  Bachmann base or DC kits?

Hi Neil,

This is a Bachmann conversion. I still have some work to do on the front, I think I will use some pin heads for the indicator lamps as they were a bit proud. There was also a horizontal cable doing heaven knows what, which I have to add, also destination decal on the blind which I have. Doing these will be interesting!!

Ian

When I was building Fellburn I couldn't find Peco insulators anywhere so I used some large headed pins and soldered the rails on with a good blob of solder which was painted white, not perfect but did the job. This way if the rail was too high in places it could be gently tapped down with a hammer.

Hi Paul,

Thanks for that I am unhappy with the Peco ones much too fragile I have some fine brass tacks from a past project and I think a combo of both would do the trick, to be fair at normal viewing distance and with protector boards it will be hard to tell. It's really the holding the rail in place that is a problem.

Thanks for your help. Loving Rosedale!

Ian B

• 3 weeks later...

post-6265-0-96395900-1520091432_thumb.jpg

Making some progress with Pilot Street box I used drawings of Wylam contained in the NERA publication 'A History of NER Signalling', however I put some archways in the off side support wall so as not to block the view of the T.D.E. I pinched the idea of a Bridge Box as a view block from Chris P. I hope he doesn't mid too much. I used my Silhouette Portrait to cut the elliptical girders, by scanning in the drawings and cutting from 10 thou plasticard. There was some warping when they were stuck together which I haven't quite cured yet. This will go when the structure is stuck down. The lattice work is from Scale Link. Next bit is to put the cross girders in place. I haven't been able to find too many colour photos of these boxes in the 60's except for Belford which is finished in N.E. Region blue and white with a tangerine name board. Please note the structure is just placed and there is a lot of filling etc. still to do.

I wonder if I could get away with adverts on the end wall, any precedents? 

Cheers Guys

Ian B

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Like the signal box. I seem to remember seeing a photo of Billingham signal box with a Guiness ad, I'll try to dig out and pm you. I think any big blank wall viewable by the public was prone to being used for ads back in the day.

Regards,

Tom

Hi Guys,

Happy new year to you all, last few snaps for a while, we are having some house modifications done, including an overhaul to the railway room to make it more accessible.

attachicon.gifDSC00196.JPG, Last building on Pilot Street. Demolition is taking place and clearance of the old riverside buildings is underway.

attachicon.gifDSC00197.JPG Tynedock Q6 light to Wearmouth Colliery passes between T.D.E and Tynebank box.

attachicon.gifDSC00199.JPG Next building project, Pilot Street Box, this is a bridge box to cover the left hand exit on the higher level, thanks to Chris P for the inspiration!

attachicon.gifDSC00200.JPG  Last one for now.

All the best

Ian B

I love the rusty effect on the Tyne Dock Engineering building.  Travelling to School and back from Tynemouth to Newcastle, often taking the riverside branch along the shipyards the effect you have is very authentic.  Great stuff! 

I love the rusty effect on the Tyne Dock Engineering building.  Travelling to School and back from Tynemouth to Newcastle, often taking the riverside branch along the shipyards the effect you have is very authentic.  Great stuff! 

I used the excellent Scalescene downloads for these then scanned them with a bit fade.

• Like 1

Hi are these of any use to you, Hexham taken a few years ago....

attachicon.gifDSCN2291.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN2292.JPG

Thank-you so much for taking the time to post the photos, they are most useful especially showing the brickwork of the chimney breast, I will post some progress snaps, tho' I'm not likely to get much done before the week end. I think the most difficult bit will be the ladder due to its length. The box is the last major structure I have to do on the model then its just the details, in which lies the devil! Cheers for your help

Ian B