SNCF to rebrand TGV services as ‘inOui’

DavidB-AU

On May 26 SNCF confirmed local media reports that its TGV network of high speed passenger services is to be rebranded as ‘inOui’.

SNCF will progressively introduce the inOui brand across its legacy TGV services by 2020, starting with those on the Paris – Bordeaux route from July 2, when the LGV Sud-Europe-Atlantique high speed line opens between Tours and Bordeaux. According to local reports, the rebranding is being driven partly by a desire to rationalise the service levels offered by SNCF.

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/single-view/view/sncf-to-rebrand-tgv-services-as-inoui.html

• RMweb Gold

While I understand the desire to rationalise the service levels, I think its a mistake to attempt a rebranding like this. TGV is such a big brand. This could be the French version of Consignia. 

• RMweb Premium

Someone needs to explain to SNCF marketing that changing the name is not going to make the train more popular.

Reducing prices to be competitive with airlines, running a reliable service that is not curtailled nearly every month due to strikes etc. is what wins passengers.

It's a play on words on 'inouïe', which means unheard of or extraordinary.  

The French I work with feel that the only thing extraordinary is why SNCF considered this change a good use of public money. What will probably remain unheard of is the amount of that money it has so far cost and will continue to cost to implement this ludicrous change in title.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The French I work with feel that the only thing extraordinary is why SNCF considered this change a good use of public money. What will probably remain unheard of is the amount of that money it has so far cost and will continue to cost to implement this ludicrous change in title.

I am perfectly capable in French, most would consider me bilingual. I know what they are trying to say and I still think its c**p.

What is unheard of or extraordinary about a service which has been around for 36 years?

It's a play on words on 'inouïe', which means unheard of or extraordinary.

Ennui?! What about Sans Pareil? Edited by rockershovel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Consignia seems positively sensible by comparison. I wonder how much they paid some marketing consultant for this c**p.

Someone needs to explain to SNCF marketing that changing the name is not going to make the train more popular.

Reducing prices to be competitive with airlines, running a reliable service that is not curtailled nearly every month due to strikes etc. is what wins passengers.

I suspect that some commuters in the UK might wish certain TOCs to take note (allegedly).

It might make some people wonder if certain marketing consultants might be taking the oui oui.

Well, it's either that or a mischievous suggestion that some trains might not always move à grande vitesse … .

Still, what do I know?

Huw.

I translated inOie as inYes and assumed it was a repost by the French railways to the British decision to leave the EU. 

If indeed my theory is correct, and as is looking increasingly likely, the drawbridge is pulled up post Brexit, Eurostar may well be rebranded outOhell. :jester:

I'm always amazed at the sheer cost of major rebrands and history usually shows that it achieves very little. It doesn't usually make the brand or service any better, that's for sure.