First attempt at O gauge layout (name tba)

lewey13

I am about to take delivery of my baseboards for my first ever layout having sold all my oo stock I am about to embark on my latest project.

My first issue is that I have to try and reduce the noise level and wondered if anyone can recommend a type of product that may help. I will start putting up pictures etc as the build commences and a name the layout will be a preserved type so I can run diesel and steam locos.

All help and suggestions welcome as I have a long list of things that will need doing (and again I will need help, but one step at a time).

Thanks Duncan

Duncan,

I'm assuming you mean the drumming of the loco's on the boards? I tend to lay the track on the grey closed cell underlay for laminate flooring sold by B&Q, it's about 4mm thick, and as long as you don't permanently pin the track through to the board it separates the two. I then ballast with latex and water 50/50, onto ballast that's been pre-sets with a spray with water and a touch of detergent. There's a bit of resilience in this arrangement, it's certainly worth trying a test section to see how you get on, if it doesn't suit the track and ballast are easily lifted. Cork is also used as a sound deadening underlay, and the thicker rubber in Yoga mats has also been used with success.

Wherever there is no need for point motors to be mounted it's worth gluing some sort of deadening material under the board as there's probably more noise coming from below than above. High density foam rubber or the like is worth a try.

Peter

My O gauge (Peco) track is laid on 1/2" insulation board (screw fixed to well supported 1/2" chipboard). Quiet & no problems. Look at my O layout thread below.

Brit15

Glad to see another convert Duncan.  I switched back in November and I too have sold most of my 00 stock which has helped to fund my 0 gauge.

I'm in the process of getting boards built.  This time I will use Woodland Scenics/C&L black foam.  I got what I have when I was doing 00 so it's 5mm thick IIRC.  I will also use Tacky Glue which doesn't dry rock hard.  All theory at the moment of course.

John

• Like 1

Hi Duncan,

To be honest, it doesn't matter what you choose as underlay because once you glue down the ballast the track bed becomes solid. Like Simond said it all depends on the speeds your running. With low speed BLT's and planks the locos do not get in their stride to cause much rumbling, but any mainline running well that's a different story.

Martyn.

I cheated I bought our base boards  in from Grainge and Hodder. www.graingeandhodder.co.uk/ easy to put together, I to use 1/2 inch foam. Apart from the noise reductions it does give you the ability of under cutting the foam and making it look like the track bed is on an embankment.

This is what I've achieved  so far.

Marc
  • Like 1

Hi Duncan,

To be honest, it doesn't matter what you choose as underlay because once you glue down the ballast the track bed becomes solid. Like Simond said it all depends on the speeds your running. With low speed BLT's and planks the locos do not get in their stride to cause much rumbling, but any mainline running well that's a different story.

Martyn.

Not if you use latex, it makes a more resilient flexible substance that's more like rubber than concrete, you can push down on the track and it will dip along with the ballast, and then spring back. It's only as 'solid' as the underlay, hence the quieter running.

Peter

Edited by peter220950

Not if you use latex, it makes a more resilient flexible substance that's more like rubber than concrete, you can push down on the track and it will dip along with the ballast, and then spring back. It's only as 'solid' as the underlay, hence the quieter running.

Peter

Hi Peter,

I have tried latex myself, and the two downsides I didn't like were the smell of dead fish, ok the smell goes off as it cures. And if you ever need to drill down through the stuff? It curls around the drill bit and pull up the ballast/underlay in the local area, no good if you need to fit more droppers etc.

Just my observations,

Martyn.

Hi Duncan,

Welcome to 7mm, I'm sure you'll enjoy it, and there are lots of people on here to help with advice, etc.

As for ballasting I have used a 4mm self adhesive cork tiles as a track base for hand built track, which give some elevation. I will use the traditional method of 50/50 PVA /Water mix with a little drop of washing up liquid to reduce surface tension. I'm going this way as I won't be having a string of heavy brass coaches and heavy loco's thundering along at speed, so I don't think drumming will be an issue.

As for your 'hollow' G&H baseboards I've seen some use about 2" thick polystyrene glued underneath the baseboard to reduce noise (removing the drum chamber effect). Obviously it would have to be adjusted around point motors etc.

I hope you enjoy your journey and as I've already said, there is plenty of help on here.

Jinty ;)

Thanks everyone some really useful tips I am so looking forward to my new project as soon as my boards arrive I can lay out my templates to see if my planning will work. I will update the project as soon as I have something to show thanks again for the warm welcome. Duncan

• Like 2

Duncan,

I just had a thought as your new to 7mm, the summer Gauge 0 Guild show is on a the Doncaster Dome this Saturday. Its a 7mm only show and some of the smaller manufacturers, Who don't do mixed gauge shows, will be there. There will a number demonstrators and the G0G technical team there who will be able to help you with your modelling.  

Marc

Duncan,

I just had a thought as your new to 7mm, the summer Gauge 0 Guild show is on a the Doncaster Dome this Saturday. Its a 7mm only show and some of the smaller manufacturers, Who don't do mixed gauge shows, will be there. There will a number demonstrators and the G0G technical team there who will be able to help you with your modelling.  

Marc

Hi Marc thanks but I live overseas so won't be able to get to Doncaster but will be at Telford in September

no worries. I can only give you one piece of advice for Telford, if you haven't been before. Saturday is a mad free for all as everyone and their dog runs around like mad people. I think they are desperate to see all the layouts first. Sunday is a lot calmer. If you want something from one of the smaller producers ask them to put it aside for you as it might be the only way you will get one, especially if you are going on the Sunday.

Marc 

Thanks everyone some really useful tips I am so looking forward to my new project as soon as my boards arrive I can lay out my templates to see if my planning will work. I will update the project as soon as I have something to show thanks again for the warm welcome. Duncan

I too am im the process of planning my first 0 gauge layout, Hope to have something ready for Enniskillen in September.   I will start a new thread about it in due course.  Looking foward to seeing your progress Duncan.

Regards

John

• Like 3

Hello Duncan

Welcome to the world of 7mm0 gauge. It is a great scale and I am sure that you will not regret moving up to it.

My layout "Ramchester" is a permanent structure built on solid foundations using the L girder principle. the track surface is 12mm p;y screwed to the cross member at regular intervals. My track PECO is laid on C & L black foam which was glued down to the surface of the ply then pinned down as required. It is ballasted with 00 ballast prodded into place, sprayed with water to which a drop or two of washing up liquid was added, then finally diluted PVA was dribbled on top and left to set. I cannot say that I have been aware of any rumbling but when the stock passes over the points I get a very satisfying clickty click.

Good luck with your new venture and I look forward to seeing your progress.

Rod

Edited by railwayrod

Hi Duncan,

Have you thought about joining the 'Gauge O Guild'? Membership offers;  excellent publications, news and views, access to a wealth of  technical data all at a very reasonable membership fee.

Good luck with your O gauge adventure it really has almost boundless possibilities.

Guy

I second Guys recommendation.  The Gazette is an excellent magazine full of stuff for 0 gaugers.  As a member you have access to the extensive archive with some very useful articles.

I'm struggling to understand why I didn't make the switch earlier.

John

• RMweb Gold

Hi Duncan,

Welcome to the World of O gauge - far more interesting than OO  :onthequiet: As various people have said plenty of help on here, if you want it.  I'm like Jinty, my trackwork is laid on 4mm cork sheets, that are PVA glued to the board, and seems to work well with little noise coming through.  My testbed is all slow speed again, but using the watered-down PVA glue option for the sticking the ballast, and its worked well for me.

Keep us all up to date with your work.

Rich

• Like 1

Thanks everyone just joined the Gauge O Guild and ordered my ticket for Telford, and some

woodland scenics track bed just to test it and will see how it goes. Duncan

Edited by lewey13
  • Like 3

Thanks everyone just joined the Gauge O Guild and ordered my ticket for Telford, and some

Hi Duncan, 

Good choice and welcome to the Gauge 0 Guild, I re-joined the guild in 2014, their quarterly journal/magazine is very good and their website is excellent too.  I do hope that you enjoy modelling in 0 gauge.  I have finally made a start on my first 0 gauge layout, http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123311-swanbourne-vale-light-railway/&do=findComment&comment=2745564

Never been to the Telford show but hope to make it at some stage, however I have been to the spring show at Kettering a couple of times.

Regards. John

• Like 2

Well done. Come and visit us on the Minerva stand Telford. We will reveal a big surprise on Saturday morning.

• Like 3

Well done. Come and visit us on the Minerva stand Telford. We will reveal a big surprise on Saturday morning.

A new all singing and dancing ready to run class 47 ????  :sungum:

Welcome to 7mm modelling Duncan

CRaig.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

A new all singing and dancing ready to run class 47 ????  :sungum:

Welcome to 7mm modelling Duncan

CRaig.

Craig will you stop getting me excited like that ;) hehe ... Well done on going the GOG Duncan, I think its a good move for all, especially now the advent of modern traction is creeping in more, as Telford is definitely one not to miss!

Rich