Peak forest sidings/ area photos from now and before

Hi,

Made a detour to peak forest on my way from DEMU showcase to Stoke where my eldest was in a gym comp.

It was very quiet , just the sound of birds and insects ... no booked freight today but I got some reasonable photos on the iPhone. I'll share them here in case they are any use for modelling. Locos were 60044, 039 and 66053. Only for photos of two as the other 60 was by the quarry with a steel hood wagon - not sure why ? Maybe in use as a reach wagon...?

post-450-0-31249800-1496521077_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-86112300-1496521097_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-75422800-1496521120_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-05398200-1496521142_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-01481900-1496521167_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-10274900-1496521189_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-33161100-1496521207_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-21213400-1496521247_thumb.jpg

post-450-0-70066500-1496521272_thumb.jpg

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 9

The steel hood wagon (BRA or BYA, IIRC) is probably being used as an adaptor wagon to allow wagons fitted only with buckeye couplings to be shunted by locos that only have screw-type couplings. There is one used for this purpose at Cardiff Tidal, to allow the resident 08 shunters to move rakes of MBA scrap carriers around. These buckeye-fitted wagons can only be moved otherwise by Class 66s, which have drop-down buckeyes.

• Like 1

Nice the only thing that happened in two hours it seems , is the 66 backed up with the hoppers.wasnt there at 1530

Cheer Rob, yeah we were at the junction and the green 66 apoeared light engine from the quarry so we headed back up and 66 125 was going passed to back in.

Does anyone know if the RMC PGA tanks are still used?

I was wondering that as well. They seemed a bit manky and going green on the outside so my guess is these two are not at least .

post-450-0-10685300-1496687229_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

I'm pretty certain the RMC mortar traffic to Bletchley ceased a while back; whether this was because of a change of train operator, or a change to the ownership of the quarry on one hand, and the mortar supplier on the other, I can't say. My recollection was that the traffic originally 'hitched a ride' on the RMC stone train from Dove Holes to Bletchley, but then switched to some convoluted routeing via Warrington, which presumably made it uneconomic.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

This is not strictly a "Peak Forest today" report but it is a "is it like this still today?" question. Hope that is OK?

I took this photo a couple of years back at Great Rocks and was intrigued by this piece of trackwork. Is it still like this and how did it get like that? Surely not useable (if so, by what?)?

(Yes, there is some foreshortening by the lens but not much and it is a very abrupt angle change).

post-8314-0-57955100-1496912299_thumb.jpg

Edited by highpeakman

This is not strictly a "Peak Forest today" report but it is a "is it like this still today?" question. Hope that is OK?

I took this photo a couple of years back at Great Rocks and was intrigued by this piece of trackwork. Is it still like this and how did it get like that? Surely not useable (if so, by what?)?

(Yes, there is some foreshortening by the lens but not much and it is a very abrupt angle change).

Crickey , looks like my peco flexitrack ! I'd love to see a 66 try and get round that...

• RMweb Gold

Crickey , looks like my peco flexitrack ! I'd love to see a 66 try and get round that...

So would I!

It's just behind the signal box at Great Rocks if I remember rightly. If someone is visiting then please let me know if it is still like it but the main question is still "why?".

I have a bunch of photos taken at the same time plus some others of the 80s operations. I could post in a new thread (or on this one if the OP doesn't mind or, indeed, if anyone is interested)?

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 1

[qugote name=highpeakman" post="2747521" timestamp="1496916647]

So would I!

It's just behind the signal box at Great Rocks if I remember rightly. If someone is visiting then please let me know if it is still like it but the main question is still "why?".

I have a bunch of photos taken at the same time plus some others of the 80s operations. I could post in a new thread (or on this one if the OP doesn't mind or, indeed, if anyone is interested)?

Yeah, be good to see those, put em here if you like...I changed the topic name

Edited by rob D2

[qugote name=highpeakman" post="2747521" timestamp="1496916647]

So would I!

Yeah, be good to see those, put em here if you like...I changed the topic name

Curiously, the aerial view on Google Earth doesn't show the 'dog's leg'- the curve looks perfectly normal, though perhaps a little sharp.

Im pretty sure when i was there on Sat tht the connection to shed is gone, lookedlike newish tarmac has gone down recently. The track in the foreground is still there though. Should have taken a pic!!

Cheers

James

• RMweb Gold

Curiously, the aerial view on Google Earth doesn't show the 'dog's leg'- the curve looks perfectly normal, though perhaps a little sharp.

Have just had a look and agree with you although it is not that distinct. It really did have that acute angle when you looked at it from ground level. The photo was taken from the road so it was not much distance away so there would be little foreshortening by the lens of the camera.

• RMweb Gold

Here are a couple of my pics which I think are from the late 70s or, possibly, early 80s. I will leave it to the experts to accurately date them hopefully.

I was disappointed by lack of trains at the time of my visit though.

post-8314-0-41612500-1496944857_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-82038300-1496944877_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I had always thought that this one was of the old Central Lime Works just by Peak Forest Junction but now, looking at it again, I am not so sure. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I took this photo but can't now remember the site of taking every photo of 40 years ago. Unfortunately I have never been organised enough to have kept any records.

post-8314-0-58671800-1496949007_thumb.jpg

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 1