Peak forest sidings/ area photos from now and before

I took a few photos there on a couple of visits in 1983 and 1984.

Here is the Margam to Tunstead limestone empties arriving at Peak Forest in 1983.

post-7081-0-52475900-1496950843_thumb.jpg

The empty train approaches behind 45017, 13/6/83 

post-7081-0-99007500-1496950857_thumb.jpg

45017 at Peak Forest, 47226 in the distance is on banking duties 13/6/83

cheers

• Like 7

I took a few photos there on a couple of visits in 1983 and 1984.

Here is the Margam to Tunstead limestone empties arriving at Peak Forest in 1983.

attachicon.gifscan0015.jpg

The empty train approaches behind 45017, 13/6/83 

attachicon.gifscan0016.jpg

45017 at Peak Forest, 47226 in the distance is on banking duties 13/6/83

cheers

Wow, I never knew that HAA type wagons were used to convey limestone.

Blimey I don't recall seeing that when I visited Tunstead back in 2008 but I will check my photos. The building the line runs to is known as South Shops. Not even sure why the connection is still there. Looks like they have reduced the sidings behind the signalbox from 3 down to the 1 as well?

Paul

Here is another closer shot of that trackwork shown above:

Taken 2014.

Edited to add date.

This is further down Great Rocks Dale and the building you see on the right next to the sidings is the bagging and distribution warehouse for bagged lime products. The large building beyond are related to the lime kilns and storage silos. Off to the left is Great Rocks Tunnel with the single line on left to Buxton via Topley Pike and Ashwood Dale. The line on right leads down to the main Tunstead quarry sidings.

Paul

I had always thought that this one was of the old Central Lime Works just by Peak Forest Junction but now, looking at it again, I am not so sure. Does anyone else have any ideas?

I took this photo but can't now remember the site of taking every photo of 40 years ago. Unfortunately I have never been organised enough to have kept any records.

Yes a batch of 52 CBA covered hoppers were built for a new flow of powdered lime from Tunstead to Margam from 1969 onwards. They were later used from Hardendale quarry at Shap on WCML to Margam using British Steel's own quarry. Some were later used in potash and rock salt traffic from Boulby. The last 10 wagons remained in traffic by the end of 1999 and were all stored out of traffic by 2001 and scrapped at Margam yard thereafter.

I am slowly modelling a rake of these just need to get my finger out to finish them!

Paul

Wow, I never knew that HAA type wagons were used to convey limestone.

A relatively early morning start to the day reveals a light overnight snowfall at Peak Forest sometime in early February 1989. 37684 on the right and 37687 on the left and probably 'Scottie' 37411 with its headlight on in the distance.

post-4406-0-36914200-1496979911_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

Yes a batch of 52 CBA covered hoppers were built for a new flow of powdered lime from Tunstead to Margam from 1969 onwards. They were later used from Hardendale quarry at Shap on WCML to Margam using British Steel's own quarry. Some were later used in potash and rock salt traffic from Boulby. The last 10 wagons remained in traffic by the end of 1999 and were all stored out of traffic by 2001 and scrapped at Margam yard thereafter.

I am slowly modelling a rake of these just need to get my finger out to finish them!

Paul

The traffic continues. Initially, some of the withdrawn wagons were supplanted by ex-Distillers Polybulks, but continued from Shap. Then it switched to Thrislington (Ferryhill), still using Polybulks, before going over to bulk containers on FCA wagons. These work north on a coil train to A V Dawson, being tripped from Tees Yard to the quarry.

I've never understood why the lime is brought in from such a distance when there are active quarries for both carboniferous limestone and dolomite a stone's throw from the Port Talbot plant.

Lovely photo bingley hall. I regret no going to Peak more often back then I wish my Dad or Uncle had taken me there more. Oh well I will just have to wait for that time machine to arrive!

Paul

A relatively early morning start to the day reveals a light overnight snowfall at Peak Forest sometime in early February 1989. 37684 on the right and 37687 on the left and probably 'Scottie' 37411 with its headlight on in the distance.

14878690593_1d0623950a_o.jpg

Yes indeed the traffic still runs using the bulk containers. I believe the purity of the limestone quarried at Tunstead is one if not the highest in mainland Britain and so ideal for steelmaming hence the original decision to supply Margam from Tunstead.

Paul

The traffic continues. Initially, some of the withdrawn wagons were supplanted by ex-Distillers Polybulks, but continued from Shap. Then it switched to Thrislington (Ferryhill), still using Polybulks, before going over to bulk containers on FCA wagons. These work north on a coil train to A V Dawson, being tripped from Tees Yard to the quarry.

I've never understood why the lime is brought in from such a distance when there are active quarries for both carboniferous limestone and dolomite a stone's throw from the Port Talbot plant.

Lovely photo bingley hall. I regret no going to Peak more often back then I wish my Dad or Uncle had taken me there more. Oh well I will just have to wait for that time machine to arrive!

Paul

Thanks - I was fortunate that my sister lived in Macclesfield at the time so it was a short early morning drive up into the Pennines.

• RMweb Gold

More 2014 pics.

This time a train, with 60059 at the head, leaving Tunstead passing the old Peak Forest Junction where the original Midland main line passed the Central Lime works and carried on to the right (past the base of the rocks above the cottages) towards Miller's Dale. The direct Buxton branch from Millers Dale formed a triangle at this point, cutting across from the right to the bottom left of the picture.

Taken from the A6 at Topley Head as many will know of course.

I have seen many pictures of steam trains passing above those cottages on the old Midland line and am always amazed at just how much the view has changed over my lifetime. That's progress! 

post-8314-0-47284400-1497100872_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-03784200-1497100899_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-82177300-1497100918_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-31994200-1497100935_thumb.jpg

post-8314-0-49714400-1497100967_thumb.jpg

Edited by highpeakman
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have an operational question. Please excuse my ignorance if it seems obvious to those in the know.

Trains can enter/leave Tunstead, as per the train in the post above, going south past the old Peak Forest Junction (Blackwell Curve) to Buxton and then through Dove Holes and Chapel en le Frith (LNWR). Or, it appears, they can go north via Dove Holes Tunnel through Chapel en le Frith (LMS) to Chinley. 

Is this choice of routes still available and, if so, what decides which direction is taken as both routes head in roughly the same direction finally. Presumably there is some point in the routes that determine easier access to the various destinations?

I just wondered as I assume that Dove Holes Tunnel is expensive to maintain in order to give a choice of route.

Edited by highpeakman

Snap. Well nearly. On the same curve, in 1984, from the Midland Macedoine railtour.

post-6971-0-06028700-1497108551.jpg

There's actually a public footpath that crosses the ballast on that tight curve,

OS map link to Bing here

accessible from the far W end of the Monsal Trail, which takes you up a hill on the W side of the line.

From 2009, in roughly the same spot as your shots, glimpsed through the greenery:

post-6971-0-51982600-1497108556.jpg

• Like 4

I have an operational question. Please excuse my ignorance if it seems obvious to those in the know.

Trains can enter/leave Tunstead, as per the train in the post above, going south past the old Peak Forest Junction (Blackwell Curve) to Buxton and then through Dove Holes and Chapel en le Frith (LNWR). Or, it appears, they can go north via Dove Holes Tunnel through Chapel en le Frith (LMS) to Chinley. 

Is this choice of routes still available and, if so, what decides which direction is taken as both routes head in roughly the same direction finally.

As far as I know (and looking at the online aerial photos of the layout), they would need to reverse twice beside Buxton station to reach the current passenger line through Dove Holes. Also, the gradients are more severe on that route, so it's highly unusual as far as I know. The line S of Peak Forest and round the curve is used for freight coming to/from the quarries S of Buxton (Hindlow area), which also shunt at Buxton station to reach the line round to Peak Forest.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Gold

As far as I know (and looking at the online aerial photos of the layout), they would need to reverse twice beside Buxton station to reach the current passenger line through Dove Holes. Also, the gradients are more severe on that route, so it's highly unusual as far as I know. The line S of Peak Forest and round the curve is used for freight coming to/from the quarries S of Buxton (Hindlow area), which also shunt at Buxton station to reach the line round to Peak Forest.

I thought there is a connection in place that takes the LMS line directly onto the old LNWR line at Buxton without reversal? 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@53.2619469,-1.9075318,344m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

Edit: I have just looked at the Google map again and see, that while the connection curve is in place, I see what you mean that there appears to be no direct "run through" track onto the passenger line. Seems a bit odd.

So, presumably, that means that the train I posted about above will have to do the reversals to get to Chapel en le Frith?

2nd Edit: The trains coming from Hindlow appear to be able to run directly straight through at Buxton.

Edited by highpeakman

Zoom in on the connections - as far as I can see, the lines are connected, but not very flexibly:

from the Dove Holes direction, you can access only Buxton station or the Hindlow line, but there's no crossover to make a move from the Hindlow line in the opposite direction (no trailing crossover in the right place);

from the Hindlow direction, you can access the reversing sidings on the E side of the line from Dove Holes, or the "wrong" line *from* Dove Holes (sorry, don't know my up from my down there);

from the Peak Forest direction, you can only go into the reversing sidings;

from Buxton station, you can access the Dove Holes line or the reversing sidings.

At least that's what I can see on the Google aerial photography. I might still be wrong.

Loaded trains from Tunstead to Hindlow say will depart Tuns northbound as far as the Up&Dn Loop or Up Main (lines are reversed here so that Up is towards Chinley). Then loco will run-round wagons using Up-Dn crossover at Peak Forest South. Then head south then west towards Buxton using single line from Great Rocks Jnc. Then at Buxton will surrender token then enter XYZ/Donahue Sdgs loop to run round again. Then depart south towards station to briefly join LNW line outside Buxton signal box collecting token then heading for Hindlow ground frame to access Tarmac BLI Brigg's Sdgs.

So there is no direct connection nowadays from MR line to LNW so any diverted services say Tunstead to Lostock Northwich would need to reverse 3 times (Great Rocks/Buxton Sdgs/Buxton station) to gain LNW line to Stockport. When Dove Holes tunnel was closed for major drainage works 5-6 years maybe a bit longer now services were diverted to run this was. To help with these an extra trailing crossover was installed up the bank towards Dove Holes but these were later taken out.

Paul

Looking at Quail, the line from Peak Forest runs into what is now simply a run-round loop (called Up Relief Sidings) at Buxton. The other track at the Up end trails into the Up Main outside Buxton station. If a train is running to/from Hindlow, then the loco runs round the train and proceeds along the Hindlow branch. Should a train, for some reason, need to run towards Stockport, then it would simply propel into Buxton station, reverse direction, and run through the trailing crossover on to the Down line. 

In earlier days, when Buxton still had fuelling facilities, I suspect the prime user of this connection would have been light engines from Peak Forest for re-fuelling.