Servo control on 3 way turnouts.

• RMweb Gold

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I can't find it.

How do you ensure that the switch blades of a 3 way point operate in the correct order, ie, each servo throws before/after the other to save mangling the blades up?

Is there an electronic way of doing it, I don't have enough room to fit more microswitches in a flip flop fashion to do the job.

Mike.

What's generating the servo control pulses and what control inputs does it have?

You need to gate the control pulses so that one servo moves at a time in the correct order or sequence the inputs to the controller.

Alternatively, a mechanical solution with a single servo moving between three positions.

Or a mechanically interlocked lever frame connected to the controller.

• RMweb Gold

What's generating the servo control pulses and what control inputs does it have?

Megapoints controller feeding MG90S servos.

You need to gate the control pulses so that one servo moves at a time in the correct order or sequence the inputs to the controller.

But how?

Alternatively, a mechanical solution with a single servo moving between three positions.

Existing turnout with seperate point blades.

Or a mechanically interlocked lever frame connected to the controller.

Will be done from a control panel

Mike.

I may need to do this on a layout that will either use DC or radio control. I'll use an Arduino to operate each servo individually, with a time delay to give the first one time to finish moving before the second one starts. I don't know how practical it is to link an Arduino into your system, but it might be worth considering.

• RMweb Premium

If you throw the blades via a switch on the control panel linked to the megapoints board then fitting DPDT ones will allow one side to act as an on/off switch for the paired switch, so that when thrown one way the other switch won't energise it's servo. If the 3-way point is a tandem though, then the blades will be far enough apart that this isn't needed. Only with assymetrical 3-ways does the problem arise.

Izzy