Newland sidings near Malvern

MJI

• RMweb Premium

This is getting interesting

Seen departmental OHVs and OWVs in green.

Would be yellow crane.

I think I will park an old Bath Road Triang Hornby 31 there, even though it is old it LOOKS like a 31 more than some more recent models.

Might be an idea to try and get hold of an article from Railway Modeller of the 80's, (sorry, can't be any more precise, my mags are 1000 miles away),. It was called "If Only..."

It featured a 7mm scale PW depot with diesels and PW wagons. My introduction to 7mm modelling.

This is getting interesting

Seen departmental OHVs and OWVs in green.

Would be yellow crane.

I think I will park an old Bath Road Triang Hornby 31 there, even though it is old it LOOKS like a 31 more than some more recent models.

I wouldn't go overboard repainting the ex-traffic Opens in green for Civils traffic; the only times I've seen this done has been wagons for the S&T or CM&EE departments. Civils wagons tended to just have a 'D' prefix added to the original number. They were mainly used for spoil, and from daily observation of the spoil workings at Alsager Tip over a few months in the late 1970s/ early 1980s, they would be a mix of ex-traffic OHVs and OWVs, Shock opens, Medfits (available from Parkside), 3-plank opens, with a leaven of purpose-built Civil Engineers' stock, such as Sole and Haddocks, and (though more rarely), Grampus, Ling and Tunny.

Noted that 37s were common visitors, how about other freight locos such as 20, 25 or 31?

In your time span 1978-85 all of those classes of loco would have been seen in the area on freight work,

as well as class 37s which, among other things, would have been paired up working as the Lickey bankers.

I have the local freight trip booklets for May 1975, and I suspect things might not have altered much by 1978.

In 1975 Worcester area trip no.1 and trip no.5 were both worked Old Oak Common class 31/1s,

trip no.5 made a visit to Newland on weekday mornings, then worked as required for the engineers from 10.25-16.55.

In 1975 Gloucester area trip no.1 and trip no.2 were both worked by Canton class 25s, with trip.no.2

working as required for the engineers from 08.04-14.55 daily.

Barnwood Yard in Gloucester, beside the Gloucester-Birmingham route, was the main yard for engineers traffic,

while the Armscroft Road depot in the middle of the railway triangle was a civil engineers works depot where the 

tunnel or bridge train was stabled, this was formed of various ex revenue wagons converted with wooden staging etc.

After 1980 class 25s were less often seen so local freight trips would have been worked by a combination of 31/37/47.

Class 20s were regularly seen in the Gloucester/Worcester area at that time, almost always in pairs, working down to Severn Tunnel Junction.

Here is a view of Horton Road depot from 1980.

post-7081-0-40896800-1498738691_thumb.jpg

47128 (CF), 08778 (GL), 08836 (GL), 20176+20070 (TO), 47026 (LA), 25197 (BS), 31296 (OC), 6/11/80

cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In your time span 1978-85 all of those classes of loco would have been seen in the area on freight work,

as well as class 37s which, among other things, would have been paired up working as the Lickey bankers.

I have the local freight trip booklets for May 1975, and I suspect things might not have altered much by 1978.

In 1975 Worcester area trip no.1 and trip no.5 were both worked Old Oak Common class 31/1s,

trip no.5 made a visit to Newland on weekday mornings, then worked as required for the engineers from 10.25-16.55.

In 1975 Gloucester area trip no.1 and trip no.2 were both worked by Canton class 25s, with trip.no.2

working as required for the engineers from 08.04-14.55 daily.

Barnwood Yard in Gloucester, beside the Gloucester-Birmingham route, was the main yard for engineers traffic,

while the Armscroft Road depot in the middle of the railway triangle was a civil engineers works depot where the 

tunnel or bridge train was stabled, this was formed of various ex revenue wagons converted with wooden staging etc.

After 1980 class 25s were less often seen so local freight trips would have been worked by a combination of 31/37/47.

Class 20s were regularly seen in the Gloucester/Worcester area at that time, almost always in pairs, working down to Severn Tunnel Junction.

Here is a view of Horton Road depot from 1980.

attachicon.gifscan0012.jpg

47128 (CF), 08778 (GL), 08836 (GL), 20176+20070 (TO), 47026 (LA), 25197 (BS), 31296 (OC), 6/11/80

cheers

Thought that was 778 as it was the vacuum braked one!

I was often found at the gates or the loop.

Used to ride up to the bridge over the line all the way from behind the power box. Never got stopped either.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I need to check the garage for more old spotting notes but I have seen 3 or 4 YBO Sturgeon, the rake of 3 are all on Paul Bartletts site, all were for Dowmac sleepers from Quedgley

YMO Salmons, only rake I have seen seemed to be mainly 5.6 bogies track crane fitted, but I may model a few random WR ones

I need to check the garage for more old spotting notes but I have seen 3 or 4 YBO Sturgeon, the rake of 3 are all on Paul Bartletts site, all were for Dowmac sleepers from Quedgley

YMO Salmons, only rake I have seen seemed to be mainly 5.6 bogies track crane fitted, but I may model a few random WR ones

The method of loading new concrete sleepers changed around 1980 after which sturgeons were used,

my dad sometimes went to Quedgeley as he was authorised to carry out load examination of these wagons prior to departure,

post-7081-0-69319900-1498792446.jpg

A pair of loaded sturgeons at Quedgeley, the loading staff are seen tightening the straps 10/7/85

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The method of loading new concrete sleepers changed around 1980 after which sturgeons were used,

my dad sometimes went to Quedgeley as he was authorised to carry out load examination of these wagons prior to departure,

attachicon.gifscan0007a.jpg

A pair of loaded sturgeons at Quedgeley, the loading staff are seen tightening the straps 10/7/85

cheers

When did they remove the sides?

When did they remove the sides?

I believe that, as built, there were various diagram no.s, some with hinged sides and some with removable sides,

this made the sturgeons more versatile,

cheers