Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

How accurate was Bradshaw's?

Just been looking through the August 1960 edition of Bradshaw's.

Was studying the Derby - Manchester table when I noticed something was missing - no mention of the "Midland Pullman" service.

Now this started operation on 4th July; granted the tables probably cover the period of the whole summer timetable (June to September), but there wasn't even a mention of the Pullman in the monthly pink amendment slip in the Bradshaw.

Interesting.....

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

Quite a few years ago I went to our local library to borrow an old copy of Bradshaws. I asked the librarian did they have any copies, she guided me to the fiction section. Sadly all I could find was the 1967 Southern Region timetable.  

Edited by Clive Mortimore

• RMweb Gold

Just been looking through the August 1960 edition of Bradshaw's.

Was studying the Derby - Manchester table when I noticed something was missing - no mention of the "Midland Pullman" service.

Now this started operation on 4th July; granted the tables probably cover the period of the whole summer timetable (June to September), but there wasn't even a mention of the Pullman in the monthly pink amendment slip in the Bradshaw.

Interesting.....

I am not sure that this service called at Derby to pick up/set down passengers, did it? 

Wikipedia (No, I am not vouching for it's accuracy) states that the MP only stopped at Cheadle Heath.

Very happy to be corrected on this.

• RMweb Gold

Correct indeed; only picked-up at Cheadle Heath (to serve Stockport / South Manchester).

By-passed Derby via Chaddesden.

So it wouldn't show in the Bradshaw because of that?

Edit: Just realised that I have may have misunderstood your OP. Did you mean London to Manchester-Derby?

Edited by highpeakman

• RMweb Gold

I have the Bradshaw for the period 12th September to 6th November 1960.

The Midland Pullman is shown in Table 180.

In the up direction it was dep Manchester Central 8.50am, arr St Pancras 12.02pm. No stop shown at Derby.

The down train was Pancras dep 6.10pm, arr Manchester Central 9.22 pm. No stops en route.

there was also the working from St Pancras to Leicester and return.

David

• RMweb Gold

The big problem with Bradshaw - and I believe one reason why it ceased publication - was the sheer difficulty of keeping up with timetable corrections and alterations although the relatively short periods it covered did help to some extent.  But it was, like any printed timetable, only as good as the information it contained was at the time of compilation (and by the 1960s many BR passenger timetables were being issued with Addenda & Amendments from the date of publication.

Ah.. the addendas, classic entries like the (made up example) 0847 Bradford Interchange-Weymouth does not run. Add extra train 0915 Leeds-Weymouth calling at...., when it would have been far simpler to state the 0847 from Bradford Interchange now starts at Leeds at 0915 as shown - delete time at Bradford

• RMweb Gold

Ah.. the addendas, classic entries like the (made up example) 0847 Bradford Interchange-Weymouth does not run. Add extra train 0915 Leeds-Weymouth calling at...., when it would have been far simpler to state the 0847 from Bradford Interchange now starts at Leeds at 0915 as shown - delete time at Bradford

There was one summer timetable (1974?) where all the various addenda added up to more pages than the original. Or so some reckoned at the time.