Rear axle on Battle of Britain loco

Gordonotron

Hey Everyone,

I picked up a cheap Battle of Britain loco recently which had a bit of running issues. on inspection the issue seems to be the rear axle is running up the way. I've taken the chassis apart and had a look and while the spring is in place and the axle is sitting on it, it still pushes up while running.

On looking at the service sheet it looks like the read axle should have a block on it where as the ones fitted in mine is two brass brushes.

I'm thinking it could just need packed up but this would probably impact the running of the loco so looking to see if this is normal or if anyone has seen this before.

Cheers

Gordon

• RMweb Premium

Are you talking about the rear coupled driving wheel or the pony truck wheel under the cab? I'm assuming you mean the rear driving wheel.

Edited by Hilux5972

The earlier MNs and light pacifics from Hornby had a sprung rear driving axle mounted in a reversible block, which had the axle slot off-centre to allow for the two different wheelbases. The springs tended to be quite soft. Later models have a rigid rear driving axle. With that in mind, you could just remove the springing arrangement and pack the block to the correct height to mimic the later setup. I haven't tried this myself, but I can see no reason whatsoever why it would not work.

post-13679-0-52830900-1498546109_thumb.jpg

Gordon

Attached picture of an early Hornby Merchant Navy

The block has a spigot that sits on the spring and then locates in the runners in the Mazak chassis - sometimes the plastic block jams in the chassis, but in you case it sounds as though it is missing completely!

I will look to see if I have a spare if that helps.

Tony

DSCF1252a.jpg

Gordon

Attached picture of an early Hornby Merchant Navy

The block has a spigot that sits on the spring and then locates in the runners in the Mazak chassis - sometimes the plastic block jams in the chassis, but in you case it sounds as though it is missing completely!

I will look to see if I have a spare if that helps.

Tony

Thanks Tony, seeing the picture it's certainly the missing piece that's the problem.

Let me know if you have one, if not I'll see what I can find.

Gordon

Gordon

Can't seem to lay my hands on the spare chassis I know I have somewhere.....!

The block is not a separate part on the Hornby service sheet, and I have checked all my spare wheel sets and none of them have the block included unfortunately as they are meant for the later unsprung chassis.

I think your best bet might be to have a word with Peters Spares (no connection).

Alternatively you could try and get a cheap second hand chassis or loco at a swapmeet, making sure it is the sprung variety.

I will keep looking but sorry I can't help at the moment.

Tony