Missed this till now. Agree with others. It's a very cleverly designed and presented model. I am sure that lots of exhibition managers would want to invite it.

This is the sort of thing that GMRC should be doing.

PS: I once drew up a 6 x 4 plan to represent the Burton system.

I'm afraid I've not shown it much, I've so far only done local shows or brewery related events. I hope to do more though I'm still getting to grips with how the exhibiting scene works. P.s. would love to see your plan!

Edited by Woebegone-by-sea

Just looked at the thread and what a fantastic layout! I worked in a brewery for nearly 20 years so this is right up my street, great stuff. I love the locos.

Steve

Thanks Steve, which Brewery did you work at?

Cheers Joe

Edited by Woebegone-by-sea

• RMweb Premium

I worked in a brewery for nearly 20 years so this is right up my street, great stuff. I love the locos.

Steve

I've never worked in a brewery, but I've helped to keep their shares afloat....

Lovely layout, as I said earlier.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1

Thanks Steve, which Brewery did you work at?

Cheers Joe

It was Romford Brewery, I was there until it shut then we moved all our distribution to the old Bass Charrington depot in Silvertown. I always used to wonder about the Railway at Romford, there was some inlaid track still there when I worked there.

Steve

Another unusual wagon seen on the system was the De-mountable tank, which was used to send beer in bulk. attachicon.gif20180318_172530.jpg

Also an unusual addition is this water tank. When many breweries chose to move to burton for the water. Some breweries chose a different method and brought the water to them. Magee Marshal was one such brewery. They used to draw water from wells in burton and tank it back to there brewery. attachicon.gif20180318_172544.jpg

I read that one day the tank was emptied of Burton water by mistake en route, and was filled with water from a loco water column & delivered to Magee Marshall's in Bolton. It ruined the brewing "germ" and took months to get production back to normal. 

Brit15

• 1 month later...

That's lovely!  I too would like to see some more detailed photos. A late friend and clubmate worked and lived in Burton while the railways were still very active and he often told of traffic chaos due to the multitude of level crossings.

It's a long time since Mrs 5050 and I went to the museum but it was very interesting I recall, especially the N gauge model.

I have a very old book about the railways called 'Our Model Railway' or similar.  Published by Bass I think?  I'll dig it out and check.

18 months on and I've found it!  Couldn't find it when I first posted but it turned up a couple of days ago when I was looking for something else.  Typical!

This is it.  I'm presuming from the writing on the title page that it was published in 1926 and is in quite good condition for its age.  However, it doesn't say which editions of 'Railway Gazette' or 'Railway Magazine' the original articles appeared.

Front cover -

post-807-0-85136800-1546521865.jpg

Title page -

post-807-0-15932000-1546521890.jpg

I can't remember where I got it from but it was probably in an 'oddments' box on a trade stand at an exhibition.  I'm often tempted by odd books like this - especially if the price is right!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 1 month later...
On 3 January 2019 at 13:28, 5050 said:

18 months on and I've found it!  Couldn't find it when I first posted but it turned up a couple of days ago when I was looking for something else.  Typical!

This is it.  I'm presuming from the writing on the title page that it was published in 1926 and is in quite good condition for its age.  However, it doesn't say which editions of 'Railway Gazette' or 'Railway Magazine' the original articles appeared.

Front cover -

post-807-0-85136800-1546521865.jpg

Title page -

post-807-0-15932000-1546521890.jpg

I can't remember where I got it from but it was probably in an 'oddments' box on a trade stand at an exhibition.  I'm often tempted by odd books like this - especially if the price is right!

Bet that's a good book, I'd love to find out more about the Romford Brewery railway, tried looking a few years ago but didn't find much.

Steve.

• Like 1

On 10/02/2019 at 09:21, sb67 said:

Bet that's a good book, I'd love to find out more about the Romford Brewery railway, tried looking a few years ago but didn't find much.

Steve.

I have an interesting book brewery railways by Ian P Peaty, I think it covers a bit of romford brewery to? 

• 2 weeks later...

1 hour ago, Woebegone-by-sea said:

This is the book I'm referring to, theres a section of about 5 pages on romford  including locos and plans. 

20190302_125410.jpg

20190302_125453.jpg

Thanks for that. I'll put it on my wish list :)

Steve.