GWR Autocoach Hornby R4790?

Dear All

I just realised Hornby offers an autocoach in era 3 livery (R4790, no. 191). As the couplings and bogies look rather old-fashioned to me, I wonder how old the construction of the model is and if a model of more recent construction is (was) available in GWR chocolate/brown either with a roundel or a coat of arms.

Unfortunately, the beautiful Bachmann Hawksworth autocoach model is way too young for my pre-war duties...

Thank you.

Regards

Mark

IIRC, the model dates from Airfix's brief foray into railways, back in the late 1970s. There may have been some modifications over the years, but the model seems largely unchanged.

Yes, the only differences I can see between my original Airfix one and my current Hornby one, apart from maker's markings, are paint and wheels, which have both been improved over the years.

O.k. thank youDon't assume a more recent RTR model of a pre-war prototype is or was not available?

Cheers

Mark

No. Hopefully one day we'll get a new model, and of a different prototype. Don't expect it any year soon though...

If you add the dart castings detail kit and the shawplan laser glaze you can end up with a very nice model

Any chance you could post a photo of yours with the detail kit in place that would be appreciated. Pity Hornby didn't even bother update the coupling to the modern narrow type.

Edited by BWsTrains

• RMweb Gold

Mine is still awaiting painting so not ideal as a demonstration, (and I used a very poor condition suffix model as a basis). But the relevant blog post is here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/853/entry-15528-gwr-a30-autocoach-detailing/

If you use the current Hornby model, and are very careful when removing the moulded details. You can avoid the need for a respray (and hence keep the very good rtr painting and lining.). That is certainly the route I would take of doing another.

Mine is still awaiting painting so not ideal as a demonstration, (and I used a very poor condition suffix model as a basis). But the relevant blog post is here

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/853/entry-15528-gwr-a30-autocoach-detailing/

If you use the current Hornby model, and are very careful when removing the moulded details. You can avoid the need for a respray (and hence keep the very good rtr painting and lining.). That is certainly the route I would take of doing another.

Thanks,

I'm not a slave to detailing as I share my layout with my grandchildren (that are by any standard very careful "operators" for their age but still not perfect). A photo was more for my information and future reference at this stage. The links to Dart etc are appreciated and I do like the look of the coach in an overall sense as you noted. Please post a pic when you have something you're happy with.

Regards,

Colin

• RMweb Gold

Mine is still awaiting painting so not ideal as a demonstration, 

If the Disagree button was still here, I'd press it for that statement - I find the unpainted pics an ideal demonstration as you can see all the detailing parts you have added nice and clearly. :)

• RMweb Gold

If the Disagree button was still here, I'd press it for that statement - I find the unpainted pics an ideal demonstration as you can see all the detailing parts you have added nice and clearly. :)

The end

blogentry-54-0-12197000-1422534261.jpg

post-54-0-80015500-1500742526_thumb.jpg

One day I will paint it

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have an Airfix B set and the autocoach stored away somewhere. Think the B set had the shirtbutton emblem. But I've an idea the autocoach had the later livery.

I have an Airfix B set and the autocoach stored away somewhere. Think the B set had the shirtbutton emblem. But I've an idea the autocoach had the later livery.

That was certainly the case with the Airfix-produced models. 

I have about 16 autotrailers in various guises/states.

Far too many but I like the modelling challange.

I have 3 K's that need glazing and 2 in kit form waiting to be chopped into something different.

A Mallard matchboard in need of a repaint.

Two A28 made from the Airfix/Hornby hybrid.

An A27 cut n shut awaiting a shortened chassis

The rest are detailed A30's and two A30"scrappers" that the fate is yet to be decided.

I have about 16 autotrailers in various guises/states.

Far too many but I like the modelling challange.

I have 3 K's that need glazing and 2 in kit form waiting to be chopped into something different.

A Mallard matchboard in need of a repaint.

Two A28 made from the Airfix/Hornby hybrid.

An A27 cut n shut awaiting a shortened chassis

The rest are detailed A30's and two A30"scrappers" that the fate is yet to be decided.

less time spent on wine n' wimmin seems in order here :nono: