13 hours ago, MRDBLUE17 said:

Hi Nick,

That is looking great. You’ve made quick progress on the new section.

All the best

Mark

Thanks Mark, its getting there, still lots to do but I am reasonably happy with it. Hope to see you at ModelRail Scotland with it in the future.

33 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

Hi Nick,

You might be able to bring this forward to the future now if Rolls Royce Nuclear get there plans to go ahead.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51460208

Keith

Yes and the latest is....

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/porthmadog-harbour-users-told-make-17751895

Good to see such an accomplished model, I worked at the station (power station) for a short time in the seventies but only once ventured up to the flask loading point so cannot help with any detail. However I have noticed that by using a modern day photo for the back scene the turbine hall is missing. Its quite a big chunk of the station so I don't know if it could be added. Also, a curious point is that the folding charge face doors on the reactor buildings were always about half open in the seventies. They were closed once decommissioning started and now appear as yellow painted patches on the sides of the building. The open doors are clear in a number of the early photographs so perhaps a bit of dark paint would  do the job. Hope this helps because overall its nice to see such a good job made of an unusual prototype.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, Hibelroad said:

Good to see such an accomplished model, I worked at the station (power station) for a short time in the seventies but only once ventured up to the flask loading point so cannot help with any detail. However I have noticed that by using a modern day photo for the back scene the turbine hall is missing. Its quite a big chunk of the station so I don't know if it could be added. Also, a curious point is that the folding charge face doors on the reactor buildings were always about half open in the seventies. They were closed once decommissioning started and now appear as yellow painted patches on the sides of the building. The open doors are clear in a number of the early photographs so perhaps a bit of dark paint would  do the job. Hope this helps because overall its nice to see such a good job made of an unusual prototype.

Hello, thanks for all that information, very informative. The model is depicted around the 1986 - 1989 era. Would your information apply then or was it being decommissioned then? 

My understanding is that generation stopped in 1991 and that decommissioning work got underway by about 1993. I am not sure if the doors were closed in the late 80's. I went on a guided tour in 94/95 and the doors were closed then, presumably as part of the work. The turbine hall was part of the tour so it was certainly in place 94/95 but I think it was stripped out and demolished soon after that as it would not be hazardous - apart from asbestos. Google maps pretty much show the outline.

• Thanks 1