GWR Rolling Stock for the 1930s

Where is the WOW button when you want it!  Superb modelling and painting.  I think if he saw that, restaurant service might have been extended to Penzance on one train a day!

Other than being an LMS Dining Car, can I ask what type/period/designation that is?

Richie

Well, this is the work of Coachman of this parish.  Acquired second-hand some years ago. I was going to repaint the Dapol one in fully-lined livery, then the opportunity to bag this one came up so I thought "rude not to" use it instead!

EDIT: Sorry, missed your questions.  I have no great knowledge of LMS stock, as I believe I have amply demonstrated(!), but this is what is meant by a Period II coach. The LMS started off with traditional wood panelled coaches.  They went on to a design with larger picture windows, even for the drop lights I believe, and they had these toplight affairs in the eaves panels.  At some point they started producing these designs in steel, so flush sided, but like the GW, continued to line them out as if there was still raised beading.  Quite where the transition between Period I and II occurs requires an answer from someone more knowledgeable of LMS lore. 

The prototype of the coach pictured was a Composite Dining Car to Diagram 1811, which was built in1932.  This one is running number 10440, perhaps chosen because a photograph exists of this coach in its original fully-lined livery.  It is reproduced, for instance, in Jenkinson's Historic Carriage Drawings volume 2, which, as the title suggests, includes drawings (in 4mm).

Edited by Edwardian

I find  Xpress publishing's "Train Formations & Carriage Workings of the Great Western Railway" by W.S.Beckett to be invaluable. It covers the 1931/2 winter timetable

If you are modelling Cornwall the train services are a bit surprising, Cornwall was a long way from Paddington so an early morning departure became an afternoon arrival in Cornwall.

Most trains were remarshalled at Plymouth North Road, The Plymouth portion often terminating at Millbay while the rest continued to Cornwall

Only the Up Postal loco ran though to Paddington from Penzance (Longest through loco working in the Uk maybe the world!) with an Exeter based loco and crew and that stopped when the LNER started running non stop London to Edinburgh.  Other trains changed locos at  Bristol, Exeter, Newton Abbot or North Road

Some trains came via Westbury, CRE etc, The CRE ran with a minimum formation of 8 coaches west of Pllymouth, 6 for Penzance, Bk 3rd, Corridor 3rd, Kitchen, Open Composite, Corridor Composite, Brake 3rd, with additional  Brake Composites for St Erth and Truro.  The Newquay Brake Comp was detached at North Road and followed the CRE (Plymouth arrival 14.37)  as part of the 14.55pm Plymouth Newquay.

Other expresses ran via Bristol with through carriages from Leeds York etc over the Midland added to a Paddington portion often remarshalled at North Road.  These seemed to have winter formations of as few as 4 or 6 coaches.

Not sure which trains had LMS/LNER stock on through workings, but unlike Exeter - Plymouth post war which had 2 SR trains each way per day there would not AFAIK be any Southern workings 

Locos changed, prior to the Halls (1927) and Granges (1936) which in turn virtually monopolised the Cornish main line pre war, the 43XX moguls ran virtually everything except the Cornish Riviera which had a Castle. Prior to that Dukes and Bulldogs were de rigeur.  The workings were more interesting post war but few locos based East of Exeter worked into Cornwall.   A couple of Cornish Branches used 14XX/ 48XX.  Most were the preserve of the 45XX small Prairies. 57XX were banned from most branches until 1950 so you are looking the older smaller Panniers not avaailable RTR!.   Tender 0-6-0s were rare in Cornwall, Exeter had a 2251 in later years but nothing further West.

Guys,

Thanks for all your background information and help, its all much appreciated. I've reprinted everything and passed it onto my mate, who is extremely grateful.  Hopefully as his layout progresses, i'll either get him on here, or will be able to post some pictures.

I find  Xpress publishing's "Train Formations & Carriage Workings of the Great Western Railway" by W.S.Beckett to be invaluable. It covers the 1931/2 winter timetable

If you are modelling Cornwall the train services are a bit surprising, Cornwall was a long way from Paddington so an early morning departure became an afternoon arrival in Cornwall.

Most trains were remarshalled at Plymouth North Road, The Plymouth portion often terminating at Millbay while the rest continued to Cornwall

Only the Up Postal loco ran though to Paddington from Penzance (Longest through loco working in the Uk maybe the world!) with an Exeter based loco and crew and that stopped when the LNER started running non stop London to Edinburgh.  Other trains changed locos at  Bristol, Exeter, Newton Abbot or North Road

Thanks for that David.

Richie