Arriva CrossCountry HST Mk3 details

sub39h

Hi guys,

I wanted to recreate a prototypical Arriva CrossCountry HST. I was looking at photos of the TCC and noticed it appears to have been based on a Mk3a with roe vacs and then noticed some detail differences on the other Mk3s as well.

I was wanting to catalogue the details in one place and was hoping that someone with more knowledge could fill in any gaps please:

TF - appear to all have plenum chambers. The toilet windows at one end appear to have been plated over

TCC - appear to all have roe vacs. On one side there is one standard class window and two blanked out windows for the buffet counter. On the opposite side the standard class toilet has had the central bar removed and seating goes all the way up to the vestibule.

TS- mix of plenum chambers and roe vacs. One coach in each take appears to have its toilet window and one passenger window plated over on one side. Is this the disabled coach? Is that the disabled toilet?

TGS - appears unmodified.

As a separate question, how come so many LHCS Mk3s have needed to be converted for HST use? We don't have any more DMBs so where has the need for extra coaches come from? I've even seen FGW rakes with converted prototype HST Mk3s and one photo which had a rake with two TGSs in it! Is the network really that short of stock?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by sub39h

From what I can see Mk3 coaches have two different types of roof vents on the ends. The Mk3As have roe vacs.?Mk3Bs and HST Mk3s and the Mk3 based Class 442 have plenum chambers. in tho photo below the coach on the left has roe vacs and the one on the right has plenum chambers:

https://farm6.static.flickr.com/5628/23149300113_4fec4b117d_b.jpg

The AXC HST trailer cars came from two sources, some were existing HST vehicles and the rest were converted from MK3As. All the TCC were originally LHCS.

XC01-03 are mainly ex LHCS and XC04-5 are mainly ex HST vehicles.

As a separate question, how come so many LHCS Mk3s have needed to be converted for HST use? We don't have any more DMBs so where has the need for extra coaches come from? I've even seen FGW rakes with converted prototype HST Mk3s and one photo which had a rake with two TGSs in it! Is the network really that short of stock?

The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle of accident damage, strengthening of sets from 2+7 to 2+8 and 2+9, the addition of the TGS, the removal/replacement of the second catering vehicle in rakes (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Mark_3#Original_formation gives some insight). The prototype vehicles you've seen were converted in one batch quite early on to supplement the build programme.

The Grand Central sets are famously all converted loco hauled stock due to the lack of spare HST stock available to go with the "oddball" buffer fitted PCs.

Edited by frobisher

The AXC HST trailer cars came from two sources, some were existing HST vehicles and the rest were converted from MK3As. All the TCC were originally LHCS.

XC01-03 are mainly ex LHCS and XC04-5 are mainly ex HST vehicles.

Presumably you mean there are 5 AXC HST sets? 01-03 and 04-05? What services two the two groups of sets provide? And are you able to give me any more details of their formations please?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold

Just to add to the fun if you want some good pics of stock Doncaster has XC03 strewn around pending new sliding door and bog mods. If you imagine a 156 style sliding door into a pocket that is what is going to happen- a 3m chunk of bodyside removed and a door and pocket kit welded into the void.... not a quick job...

The XC sets as noted are a bit of a mix with XC04 and 05 being mainly HST with the TCC being a loco convert insert.   XC 01 -3 mainly loco conversions with TGS ex HST strock . The end  result is with 10 access for all toilets there are 3 types!  

Yes to maximise seat potential toilets removed and windows change from the two part toilet window to a small clear fixed pane.

To avoid confusion the TCC has no counter it is just a trolley store and micro galley for the first at seat service currently offered.

Robert 

Edited by Robert Shrives

Why are they split into XC01-03 and XC04-05? Is there an operational or formation reason?

Also thanks for the link Bomag - so the disabled TSs have been reclassified to TSDs. May make it easier to search for photos.

Edited by sub39h

Why are they split into XC01-03 and XC04-05? Is there an operational or formation reason?

Also thanks for the link Bomag - so the disabled TSs have been reclassified to TSDs. May make it easier to search for photos.

The first three sets XC01-03 were made up of bits and pieces, XC04-05 were formed from two Rio sets which were originally VWC sets. The os removed from these sets went in to the earlier sets.

Ok great thank you. Still looking through loads of photos to see the differences. From the link Bomag put up it looks like I'll be modelling XC04. Right mix of LHCS and HST trailers for the coaches I've collected.

My understanding of HSTs is that all the underframes should line up the same way, so the TGS should dictate the underframe orientation. What happens with the LCHS underframes as are they not different to the HST trailers? Are all the TCCs exactly identical?