Precision 2 part etch primer

• RMweb Gold

I've recently purchased this item [PQ 30-32] and wondered if anyone has experience of using it.I bought mine especially for priming the brass etchings I use for various parts.I bought the black etch primer version but when applied it seems very thin and will need several coats to cover properly.Is this supposed to be like this or have I mixed it [50/50] too thinly ? I was hoping by using the black version I might get away without using a topcoat.Any advice.Am I missing something.Precision are at Ally Pally so I can't contact them.

I've recently purchased this item [PQ 30-32] and wondered if anyone has experience of using it.I bought mine especially for priming the brass etchings I use for various parts.I bought the black etch primer version but when applied it seems very thin and will need several coats to cover properly.Is this supposed to be like this or have I mixed it [50/50] too thinly ? I was hoping by using the black version I might get away without using a topcoat.Any advice.Am I missing something.Precision are at Ally Pally so I can't contact them.

Yes, it is thin, and it never meant to be used on it's own, it must really be covered with further coats of topcoat colour paint to protect it, it is simply not in any way a finish on it's own, it is a primer to buffer the metal to the paint.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

Yes, it is thin, and it never meant to be used on it's own, it must really be covered with further coats of topcoat colour paint to protect it, it is simply not in any way a finish on it's own, it is a primer to buffer the metal to the paint.

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen.Would it hurt to give it another coat as I mixed too much and don't want to waste it ?

Thanks Stephen.Would it hurt to give it another coat as I mixed too much and don't want to waste it ?

Yes, it could take more but always keep primers and undercoats thinner than top coats, it all build up and obscures details and crispness.

Stephen.

Archived