RMweb

Who supplies high level gearboxes

Well thanks for your sarcastic answer but every time I google High level or try to redirect from another site all I get is "404 bad route" so having not brought one before wasn't sure if they no longer sold direct or just supplied the trade.

So sorry we don't all have your wonderful incite or wit but then its the likes of you who often spoil this forum for others

• RMweb Premium

............... every time I google High level or try to redirect from another site all I get is "404 bad route" ..........

It's probably just a temporary server problem that'll be solved in a day or two:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/85210-high-level-kits/page-10

Edited by Kylestrome

• RMweb Premium

Hi Londontram,

In order to try and help until HL's site is up and running again I have attached the gearbox planner PDF you can normally download from there. If you have the means to print it out onto transparent sheet of some kind - I have even used tracing paper -  then it's quite good putting it over a loco drawing to gauge how things might fit.

gearboxplanner.pdf

cheers,

Izzy

• Like 2

Thanks Izzy that's a great help I can open the pdf and it looks like a standard road runner will suffice but am unable to open it in a format that I can use so sorry to be a pain has any body got the basic height and side width of the basic road runner please?

I'm drawing the loco chassis template on Silhouette and will use that to cut a brass chassis so want to see if the assembly will fit in the overall loco profile.

Thanks again Steve

Edited by Londontram

Steve

I've requested Chris to put a few more shaft pitch dimensions on his pdf, and hopefully he'll get a round tuit soon.

Not quite sure which type of 'roadrunner' you have, but the things on the pdf are to scale. What I did was to size the pdf so that when I took a screengrab and pasted that into my graphics programme, it came out to the size I wanted. A bit trial and error, but it's fine for the 'have I got enough room' type of questions.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Izzy that's a great help I can open the pdf and it looks like a standard road runner will suffice but am unable to open it in a format that I can use so sorry to be a pain has any body got the basic height and side width of the basic road runner please?

I'm drawing the loco chassis template on Silhouette and will use that to cut a brass chassis so want to see if the assembly will fit in the overall loco profile.

Thanks again Steve

Total height is about 24mm, width 10.5.

Should mention that all HL gearboxes now use grub screw fixing for the final drive gear. I believe I am correct in saying this, and I don't think it alters the final size of any of the designs, but some ratio's are slightly different. The roadrunner+ I got recently is now 60-1 rather than 54-1 for example.

Izzy

Well thanks for your sarcastic answer but every time I google High level or try to redirect from another site all I get is "404 bad route" so having not brought one before wasn't sure if they no longer sold direct or just supplied the trade.

So sorry we don't all have your wonderful incite or wit but then its the likes of you who often spoil this forum for others

You did leave yourself wide open to such a comment.

Bernard

Should mention that all HL gearboxes now use grub screw fixing for the final drive gear. .

Almost all - there are a couple which don't. I think it's the  slimliner compact+ and micromiser, but not 100% sure. 

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor

Thanks to all the positive responses from most of the members on this thread I've got more than enough information to help me get on and had my original question answered so if any moderators are reading this could they either lock this thread off or remove it

Thanks Steve

• RMweb Gold

True but then if I bend over to tie my shoe laces it doesn't mean I want a kick up the ar5e as well

I'd recommend hanging a sign over your behind if you did ever want a kick, when you were doing up your shoelaces.

One good reason to wear slip-ons.

One 'learning point' for me yesterday was not to assume that the gearbox that I already had would fit the (relatively) small loco that I'm currently working on. It doesn't, it's too tall, so I used my print-off of the High Level pdf (on acetate), to work out which one I do need.

Oh, and check that the motor you're planning on using actually fits between the frames, should that be necessary (which it is, now, in my case). In OO, that usually means a '10' series Mashima motor.

Edited by Captain Kernow