The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Anyone Interested in Ships

NorthBrit

1 hour ago, Captain Cuttle said:

The container ship with nitric acid in container. The coasts nearest to it are littered with wreckage.

I wondered if there was another issue somewhere else - box boats regularly lose containers overboard, as we know.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Looks like the X Press Pearl is now sinking by the stern. Preparations have been made on parts of the Sri Lankan coast, but I doubt they will help much in the grand scheme of things. Looking at her I'd think towing her into even deeper water will only increase the rate of her sinking and prove a danger to the towing vessel. The combination of operating liquids onboard as well as the cargo will be catastrophic for the ecology system at least locally. I wonder how deep it is there? I imagine unless on a shelf of some sort it'd be quite a depth. If any contaminates can be removed this would be a great feat of engineering . I remember the "Erica" (or was it the" Prestige")? sinking and her HFO (Heavy Fuel) being pumped out years later. In fact there's a short film about it made by the salvors on YouTube. I think it was Mammoet or Smit Tak. 

The cargo however is a different story and at the very least, the environment will be a different animal. The warm waters will reduce the chance of liquids solidifying and staying put. If at any considerable depth then any removal of contaminates will probably be a non starter. 

John 

Edited by 380John
Autocorrect!
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 380John said:

Looks like the X Press Pearl is now sinking by the stern. Preparations have been made on parts of the Sri Lankan coast, but I doubt they will help much in the grand scheme of things. Looking at her I'd think towing her into even deeper water will only increase the rate of her sinking and prove a danger to the towing vessel. The combination of operating liquids onboard as well as the cargo will be catastrophic for the ecology system at least locally. I wonder how deep it is there? I imagine unless on a shelf of some sort it'd be quite a depth. If any contaminates can be removed this would be a great feat of engineering . I remember the "Erica" (or was it the" Prestige")? sinking and her HFO (Heavy Fuel) being pumped out years later. In fact there's a short film about it made by the salvors on YouTube. I think it was Mammoet or Smit Tak. 

The cargo however is a different story and at the very least, the environment will be a different animal. The warm waters will reduce the chance of liquids solidifying and staying put. If at any considerable depth then any removal of contaminates will probably be a non starter. 

John 

Video of the towing here https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-57327300

Well, quelle surprise - the senior ships' staff have been detained, and an environmentalist has started ranting about pollution...

Mind you, the Sri Lankan authorities did initially do the right thing - port of refuge and all that - unlike the Spanish when the Prestige initially got into trouble. It still irks me that nobody seemed to be censured for that - but the Master was basically taken hostage...

I wonder if permission to recover bunkers, lub oils & anything else possible before moving the derelict was requested (and refused) before attempting to move it?

Looking at the photos now circulating, the hull has probably been weakened due to heat, and the weather isn't helping.

Sea water temperatures there won't help - the HFO will be quite fluid at 27-28 Deg.C, unlike the cargo on the Prestige, where the water temperature will have been in single figures.

Mark

Edited by MarkC
  • Like 3

What is the identity of this ship on the Thames circa 1962 . It is before the credits from Inspector  Gideon of the Yard, Talking Pictures tv channel

On 30/05/2021 at 14:43, MarkC said:

What and where?

The container ship with nitric acid in container. The coasts nearest to it are littered with wreckage.

IMG_20210504_192713971.jpg

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 380John said:

The combination of operating liquids onboard as well as the cargo will be catastrophic for the ecology system at least locally. I wonder how deep it is there?

7 hours ago, 380John said:

Google Earth suggests that there is a shelf for a dozen or so miles off the western Sri Lankan coast but that there is a deep water channel between this and the Deccan subcontinent to the northwest.

• Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, Captain Cuttle said:

What is the identity of this ship on the Thames circa 1962 . It is before the credits from Inspector  Gideon of the Yard, Talking Pictures tv channel

IMG_20210504_192713971.jpg

One of the GSNC excursion vessels, it only appears to have one funnel so either Queen of the Channel or Royal Sovereign.

• Like 1

What a coincidence, i have been on both. When i was at school in Ramsgate, in the sixties we went to Calais, Dunkirk and Boulogne. 

I remember the music played through the tannoys!!

Good trips they were, had my first experience of french ice cream in a triple cone. One was marzipan flavour!

• Like 3

On 02/06/2021 at 12:28, 380John said:

John 

The stern is reportedly on the sea bed at a depth of 22 metres, so as long as the hull structure remains intact, recovery of fuel and lubs shouldn't be overly complex. (I've seen figures of 280MT fuel oil & 100MT gas oil reported; I would think that 25 cubic metres of lub oil wouldn't be far off). The remnants of the cargo, though, are another story. As for the acid - that'll now be long gone, I suspect. Well diluted in the sea.

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, MarkC said:

The stern is reportedly on the sea bed at a depth of 22 metres, so as long as the hull structure remains intact, recovery of fuel and lubs shouldn't be overly complex. (I've seen figures of 280MT fuel oil & 100MT gas oil reported; I would think that 25 cubic metres of lub oil wouldn't be far off). The remnants of the cargo, though, are another story. As for the acid - that'll now be long gone, I suspect. Well diluted in the sea.

Good point Mark. I see the Navy have had divers down so hopefully a good indication as you say that the acid is diluted. 22 metres and with that sort of quantity of contaminants aboard, hopefully the likes of smit Tak, Titan and Mammoet will have the expertise and equipment. Structural integrity permitting. A full break up of that weakened hull would be catastrophic. I guess as shes lying on her stern the forces on the Hull will be tremendous. A bit like a ship settling on the drydock blocks (p-force) but for much longer and already weakened. It may actually be better if the bow settles too, but I suppose it depends how much of the stress is spread along her hull rather than just one point. 

Cheers, 

John 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

30 minutes ago, 380John said:

Good point Mark. I see the Navy have had divers down so hopefully a good indication as you say that the acid is diluted. 22 metres and with that sort of quantity of contaminants aboard, hopefully the likes of smit Tak, Titan and Mammoet will have the expertise and equipment. Structural integrity permitting. A full break up of that weakened hull would be catastrophic. I guess as shes lying on her stern the forces on the Hull will be tremendous. A bit like a ship settling on the drydock blocks (p-force) but for much longer and already weakened. It may actually be better if the bow settles too, but I suppose it depends how much of the stress is spread along her hull rather than just one point. 

Cheers, 

John 

Agreed, John. She's only 3 months old, so hopefully the hull can take the stresses being induced. Much may depend on how her bunker tanks are arranged, of course. Bending moments and shear forces will definitely be outside design parameters!

If nothing else, I would hope that serious questions are asked about why the leaking container wasn't dealt with at either of the 2 preceding ports. As we can see, the consequences have been horrendous; at least, as we keep saying, there was no loss of life.

Mark

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The continued structural integrity of the hull will be very dependent on the weather in the next week or so if the stern is resting on the bottom but the rest of her is capable of movement; a return to heavy seas will probably be end of sports quite quickly.  It may indeed be advisable to sink her completely if she is not currently leaking fuel and other oils, though that sort of thing will depend on what is at the bottom and how hard and level it is.  Dropping her on to coral reefs is not going to have a happy outcome...

Edited by The Johnster

• RMweb Gold
On 30/05/2021 at 22:20, steve W said:

A bit of change of subject, a rough trip on the Penzance - St Marys ferry recently.  Good bit of video on the 'Cornwall Live website of the Scillonian3 leaving Mounts Bay.:scared:

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/cornwall-news/gallery/uncomfortable-isles-scilly-ferry-trip-5437463

New Scillonian 4 announced:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-57343472

• Informative/Useful 2

13 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

The continued structural integrity of the hull will be very dependent on the weather in the next week or so if the stern is resting on the bottom but the rest of her is capable of movement; a return to heavy seas will probably be end of sports quite quickly.  It may indeed be advisable to sink her completely if she is not currently leaking fuel and other oils, though that sort of thing will depend on what is at the bottom and how hard and level it is.  Dropping her on to coral reefs is not going to have a happy outcome...

I thought the stern had separated?

• RMweb Premium

I thought I would break up the posts about sinking ships with a couple of photos taken from the water today of the King Harry Ferry and European Seaway.

IMG_8073.jpeg.c6b59b53fecd77460d3736084c1f18a1.jpeg

IMG_8080.jpeg.f3344ae7ffca0c8633e5103febc8d636.jpeg

IMG_8087.jpeg.ab8c250d28efcd71654662bf53eb4278.jpeg

• Like 7