RMweb

Thinning Humbrol Enamels

Blimey, what a rum lot modellers are.  Never though that so many things could be used to thin paint...  Just shows that your never too old to learn.

I did download a useful Humbrol conversion matrix from 'Creative Models Limited' http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/paint_conversion.php/manufacturers_id/9/page/1

might be useful.

• RMweb Gold

I suspect that White Spirit is no different from petrol or diesel in that different retailers can select different grades depending on their customer base and retail prices. Just as 97 Octane petrol contains slightly less impurities than 95 Octane - yet both are suitable for use in internal combustion engines, the same might be true of White spirit with 'premium' brands taking the more pure stuff. The only difference I guess is that unlike fuel (which has a legally defined 'minimum quality' if you like for it to be sold at filling stations) the potency of White Spirit can vary more widely.

White spirit has a defined minimum standard, BS 245.

• RMweb Premium

Paint just isn't what it used to be. Neither are thinners.  I now do a trial shot of everything before committing to a real model. The more notes I make about what I have done the more confused I get.

So, no advice other than try a sample first.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I only use enamels including the now not so good Humbrol.

I mainly use an airbrush but also where required do some brush work.

The best enamel thinner is......................................... and is quick drying........

............XYLENE..........

post-17779-0-68134300-1502299102_thumb.jpg

If you use an airbrush..... mix  50/50 with acetone and you have a powerfull cleaner... 

• RMweb Premium

I only use enamels including the now not so good Humbrol.

I mainly use an airbrush but also where required do some brush work.

The best enamel thinner is......................................... and is quick drying........

............XYLENE..........

attachicon.gifDSC02851.JPG

If you use an airbrush..... mix  50/50 with acetone and you have a powerfull cleaner... 

Beware using xylene as a paint thinner via an airbrush.

Xylene is a very effective solvent for polystyrene, so over-enthusiastic spraying of a plastic body, with paint thinned with xylene, can lead to damage of the plastic.

Don't ask me how I know this ........ !!!!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

I only use enamels including the now not so good Humbrol.  The best enamel thinner is......................................... and is quick drying....................XYLENE

Thanks - you have answered the query I raised earlier in this thread about using Lidl's xylene based All Purpose Thinner with enamel paints. I'll now try it on a small brass model I shall shortly be painting.  Just one other point.  I'll probably be priming said model with Halford's ubiquitous spray primer - do you know if that's OK when used in conjunction with a subsequent coat of xylene-thinned enamel?

DT

• RMweb Gold

Thanks - you have answered the query I raised earlier in this thread about using Lidl's xylene based All Purpose Thinner with enamel paints. I'll now try it on a small brass model I shall shortly be painting.  Just one other point.  I'll probably be priming said model with Halford's ubiquitous spray primer - do you know if that's OK when used in conjunction with a subsequent coat of xylene-thinned enamel?

DT

Roger,  thanks, but I meant what paint do experts use?

DT.

I only use Halfords acrylic primer on scenery / buildings etc..... and I would`nt risk xylene on top of acrylic paints.

Etching primers should be ok  with   xylene on brass/w/metal etc.

BUT..... Clostermans etch primer(s) is far superior than Halfords and won`t obliterate fine details......

post-17779-0-39147200-1502362513_thumb.jpg

post-17779-0-05343900-1502362593_thumb.jpg

BIGBEE.... I`m not an expert, just been around the modelling block a few times.......

For painting/spraying locos, coaches and stock I use these enamels.

( Very old stock Humbrol).... now moving over to REVELL.

RAILMATCH.

PHOENIX/PRECISION.

All available online or ebay......

post-17779-0-32518300-1502362877_thumb.jpg

Clostermans etch primer on body and chassis

Chassis left untouched except for blackened wheels.

Humbrol  (old stock) coal black top coat.

Railmatch satin varnish.

Edited by ROSSPOP
  • Like 4