Thumper DEMU class 205 has fail or broken down by assist diesel locomotive

• RMweb Gold

The TC units were all considered to be electric multiple units because they were designed to be used with electric stock. The fact that they were also desgined to be used with diesel-electric locos was a bit of a grey area in classification terms particularly with regard to the 6TC 601 (which was not a Bournemouth line unit and only able to work with class 33 locos) and the 7TC 701 which was basically a seven-car loco-hauled set of carriages.

Could you give a bit more info on 601 please? I had that number logged in an old notebook of mine from a shed bash at Eastleigh I re-found recently. When I looked it up came to conclusion I'd written the number down wrong originally as I couldn't find any info on it.

Edited by john new

• RMweb Premium

Could you give a bit more info on 601 please?

Our friends at Bloodandcustard can do so as easily anything I can post here.

Suffice to say 601 was paired with prototype class 34 (later 33/1) "bagpipe" conversion D6580, the only one with high-level jumpers to have run in green livery and chosen despite being in the Hither Green batch  because it was in Eastleigh works at the time, and both were used as guinea-pigs to prove the concept of high-speed push-pull working for the Bournemouth / Weymouth line.

http://www.bloodandcustard.com/6tc.html

• RMweb Gold

Our friends at Bloodandcustard can do so as easily anything I can post here.

Suffice to say 601 was paired with prototype class 34 (later 33/1) "bagpipe" conversion D6580, the only one with high-level jumpers to have run in green livery and chosen despite being in the Hither Green batch  because it was in Eastleigh works at the time, and both were used as guinea-pigs to prove the concept of high-speed push-pull working for the Bournemouth / Weymouth line.

http://www.bloodandcustard.com/6tc.html

Thank you. Confirms for me my notebook entry was correct which I'd been beginning to doubt.