SECR 6 wheel goods brake van

Tove

HI Guy`s i`m after a bit of help please.

I recently taken the decision to ditch my US O scale in favor of modeling the SR during the 1950`S BR era in 7mm.

Anyhow the up shot is,i`ve brought a Slater`s 7mm SECR 6 wheel goods brake van to start with,with the intention of modeling it as it would have been during it`s last day`s.

My problem is that i can`t seem to find any photo`s online of them in BR day`s.And the only picture of have of one is in the mike king book 'southern wagons in colour', but that`s after it`s been sold to the RAE in Farnbourgh.

So are there any out there,or do i have to buy the OPC SECR wagon book?.

Thanks in advance,(from a complete Southern newbie)

Brian.

• RMweb Gold

The Skaters kit is based on the later 1913 and 1914 built vans (SR diagram 1558) numbered 55404-15 and 55396-405 some did enter BR ownership originally retaining SR goods brown and some gaining unfitted grey livery. In BR days some were renumbered again into ineternal user number ranges or DS numbers for those that also entered departmental service.

Thanks Graham,

Would i be correct in thinking that the ones that were re-paint in unfitted grey still retain their Southern running numbers,but with a 'S' prefix?.

And also, the ones that retained their SR good`s brown livery, might some of them have lasted till the early 50`s?.

Brian.

*edit*

Just noticed your post Paul,

Thanks for the extra info that`s also help`s quite a bit,i shall do some more digging...

Edited by Tove

All SR wagons retained their SR number with the S prefix.

S55408 looks to have red ends as per the SR painting scheme for brake vans.

Edit. Goods vehicles were at the bottom of the pile for repaints. Anything painted in 1947 could well not be repainted for about 7 years if that.

Anything painted in even the later 1930s may well not have been repainted until the early/mid 1950s, other than having black patches added on which the number, tare and capacity, etc were painted in white. Early BR practice was to leave the majority of unfitted wooden goods vehicles unpainted as contemporary photos will show. Black patching started in the very early war years and applied to PO wagons as well as those owned by the rail companies, pre-1948 ownership details were included in the details on the patches.

Thanks for the detailed reply`s guy`s.

I do intened to buy the volumes of the OPC Southern Wagon books in the near future.

But going on what you`ve both described, i think i shall end up with two of these brake vans,one in grey and the other in brown.

But in the meantime i shall model the preserved example,(s55371) as it was just before being sold to the RAE in 55`.

It`ll also mean i can slightly alter the kit so it`s an earlier re-built example with the additional closed balcony.

I was`nt too sure what you mean`t about the 'double top rail' on the verandah Paul,but after seeing the photo below it`s now clear!.

post-19751-0-13393600-1502380873.jpg

SECR  6 wheel brake van at Wittersham rd station,K&ESR. photo by Michael Roots,on Wikimedia Commons

Brian.