Loco Shed Interiors

What was the interior of a loco shed like, especially one of the GW branch lines.

I've been searching round for photos in my books and online and have drawn a blank, but have found variants in colour. Were any limewashed from new so that any ambient light had a chance to reflect, as I've seen on some photos, were they left as the brick or stone of the building? Or is that just accumulated crud? I assume that materials for cleaning, firelighting and maintenance were stored within the shed.

Any help appreciated as this is another of the gaps in my knowledge.

What was the interior of a loco shed like, especially one of the GW branch lines.

I've been searching round for photos in my books and online and have drawn a blank, but have found variants in colour. Were any limewashed from new so that any ambient light had a chance to reflect, as I've seen on some photos, were they left as the brick or stone of the building? Or is that just accumulated crud? I assume that materials for cleaning, firelighting and maintenance were stored within the shed.

Any help appreciated as this is another of the gaps in my knowledge.

Some were white/limewashed to about 6 feet above floor level, then left bare/dirty brick, there would also be a big heavy wooden bench, and large wooden storage cupboards plus metal racks for a selection of smaller spare parts etc. Some might even have the luxury of a small forge. Wood for fire lighting would probably be stored in a lean-to, or small shed outside.And don't forget the loo (?), either integral, or 'bog in the yard' style. Barrels of oil, usually 2 , one for general lube, one for thicker 'steam' oil, on a stand lying at a tilt just off level, downwards to the front.Extra fire irons leaning against the wall.

Just a couple of ideas??

Be good to see the finished result, it's an idea I've often thought about - maybe a bit bigger - mmmmm??

There are a couple of photos of shed interiors in Stephen Williams' GWR Branch Line Modelling. Part 1 has a shot of the interior of Cardigan shed showing whitewashed walls, a workbench with what appears to be a vice, inspection pit and a couple of other items, one of which may be a jack of some kind. This shot may also appear in the GWJ dealing with the Cardigan branch if my memory is still working.

Part 2 is of the interior of Bodmin shed - the bottom 4 feet or so of the walls seems to be a darker colour than the upper part. This is probably more useful as it shows more "junk" or equipment than the Cardigan photo. Two ladders are hung from supports on the walls, some kind of canister is on a window sill, oil lamps, a wheelbarrow, a small bench with oil cans, a couple of cupboards etc etc ...

Hope this is useful - the books are well worth getting if you can get hold of them as they give a huge amount of infor about GW branch lines.

David C

• 2 weeks later...

There are a couple of photos of shed interiors in Stephen Williams' GWR Branch Line Modelling. Part 1 has a shot of the interior of Cardigan shed showing whitewashed walls, a workbench with what appears to be a vice, inspection pit and a couple of other items, one of which may be a jack of some kind. This shot may also appear in the GWJ dealing with the Cardigan branch if my memory is still working.

Part 2 is of the interior of Bodmin shed - the bottom 4 feet or so of the walls seems to be a darker colour than the upper part. This is probably more useful as it shows more "junk" or equipment than the Cardigan photo. Two ladders are hung from supports on the walls, some kind of canister is on a window sill, oil lamps, a wheelbarrow, a small bench with oil cans, a couple of cupboards etc etc ...

Hope this is useful - the books are well worth getting if you can get hold of them as they give a huge amount of infor about GW branch lines.

David C

I concur with the above, especially the recommendation of acquiring all three volumes, (Ebay).

I am sure I also have some more possibly St Ives Loco Shed from GWR Journal.

Archived