DC motor not being speed contolled

WIMorrison

I am using a Lenz system and should be able top control a DC motor using Loco/Engine ID 0 (zero)  and the motor will run on ID 0 but I cant control the speed, it simply runs at top speed all the time.

I am certain this didn't use to be the case and I wonder if there is something I could have changed in the setting to have caused this - does anyone have any idea? I have looked at the LH100 manual, plus the LZV100 manula I cannot see the answer in either of them.

TIA

Iain

I am using a Lenz system and should be able top control a DC motor using Loco/Engine ID 0 (zero)  and the motor will run on ID 0 but I cant control the speed, it simply runs at top speed all the time.

I am certain this didn't use to be the case and I wonder if there is something I could have changed in the setting to have caused this - does anyone have any idea? I have looked at the LH100 manual, plus the LZV100 manula I cannot see the answer in either of them.

TIA

Iain

Hello Ian

What type of motor is fitted to your loco? Is it perhaps a coreless motor?

Norman

The motor has 5 poles, it is actually in a Kato/Dapol/Tomix track cleaner and when put into the Track it just runs flat out immaterial of the speed of Loco 0 :(

The loco didn't have a decoder fitted at all hence the question about DC running.

I have fitted a chip into it now and my problem is now cured but it is strange that it would run as a controllable DC motor on DCC yet another DC loco is quite happy (though it is due to have a decoder fitted soon)

Perhaps in your desire to show your 'knowledge' you missed the point that the motor I was talking about is not coreless nor is the motor in the other loco that I have yet to chip.

Lenz still support DC running as do other vendors and many people still have older locos that have traditional motors and that can run happily on DCC tracks. Indeed many clubs have people that bring their locos to run as guests on the club layout which is DCC but the members layout remains DC.

I suggest it is always best to make posts relevant to the questions being asked and to read the information provided.

• RMweb Premium

Lenz still support DC running as do other vendors and many people still have older locos that have traditional motors and that can run happily on DCC tracks. Indeed many clubs have people that bring their locos to run as guests on the club layout which is DCC but the members layout remains DC.

Hi

They do but you have just shown that it doesn't always work. Personally I wouldn't use it and only use DCC fitted locos on the layout.

Cheers

Paul

Perhaps in your desire to show your 'knowledge' you missed the point that the motor I was talking about is not coreless nor is the motor in the other loco that I have yet to chip.

I suggest it is always best to make posts relevant to the questions being asked and to read the information provided.

The advice thst Dutch Master gave you is 100% correct, though he may have been a little too authoritarian in its delivery.

Anyone who runs a loco without a decoder on a DCC layout risks burning out the motor, especially if they bring the loco to a halt and leave it on powered track. When stopped on powered track, the motor stops turning, but current is still flowing through the windings. The windings will heat up as they are continuously drawing current, but there is no air movement over them to cool them. Leave it long enough and even a cored motor will overheat and burn out.

Even when the motor is running slowly it will still be receiving track power at the full DCC voltage and could still overheat.

Given how hard it is these days to get replacement motors, it's better not to take the chance. But they're your locos, and it's up to you whether you take Dutch Master's advice which I'm certain was well-meant.

• Like 1