Peco Quality Line NR-12 Railfreight VBB Van Prototype

• RMweb Premium

Hello

I have just picked up a Peco N scale NR-12R Railfreight VBB van (which by the by comes in the nice useful new larger clear plastic box!) and was wondering what the prototype for this van is as a quick Google of the VBB code comes up with very different beasts to what is sitting in front of me right now!

Edited by John M Upton

Hello

I have just picked up a Peco N scale NR-12R Railfreight VBB van (which by the by comes in the nice useful new larger clear plastic box!) and was wondering what the prototype for this van is as a quick Google of the VBB code comes up with very different beasts to what is sitting in front of me right now!

It's one of the Peco N range that was designed to fit the 15' wheelbase underframe used on their tanks, so a work of fiction. A scale VBB would be about a third longer (20'9" wheelbase). In the case of other vehicles in the same range, some are too short (the pallet van) and others too long (the Ferry open).

It harks back to the era when wagons were designed to a chassis rather than a chassis fit for the wagon.

Hornby also did that at the same time - sometimes they didn't even bother to match a wagon body to the chassis - there was one van still in circulation quite recently where the chassis was longer than the body.

Luckily we live in more enlightened times now.